Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pocket Pistol question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My Sig P238 is my primary carry during the summer. It's light, easy to carry, and a great shooter...

Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #12

I Love the Sig 238 ! I gotta add that to my collection especially to give my Sig 1911 a little buddy !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 10-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1810 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 557

I have a Kel-Tek P3AT and a PF9. The PF9 is my main carry gun. I only carry the P3AT when I cant hide the PF9 and that is seldom. They are both ammo sensitive. Try any carry ammo before you carry. My P3AT likes XTP's. My PF9 hates 115gr in any form but loves 124gr XTP's and hardball. The P3AT will beat the crap out of your trigger finger if you do not choke it to death. I fired a lot of rounds making sure the ammo worked every time.

For some reason the LCP does not point well for me so I bypassed it. Same with the Taurus and a couple of others. I have not fired the Sig or the new S&W Bodyguard but they both feel good and point perfectly for me. They both cost more than the LCP and Kel-Tek but are worth it. The S&W is good quality and has an inboard lazer. The Sig just feels like quality. I am looking into the possibility of raffling off a Sig and a S&W as a fund raiser for our local FNRA Committee.

Good suggestion on the Beretta Tomcat but 32's have a lot of problems with reliability. The older guns were designed for hardball. The newer HP's are a bit shorter and leave a little space in the mags. The 32 is a semi rimmed cartridge and they suffer from rim-over because of the extra space. Some of the newer guns have tightened the mags but I dont know if the Tomacat has fixed the rim-over problem. Again, shoot the carry ammo before you carry.

The LCR revolver may be an excellent choice along eith the Smiths. It is light weight and has a good trigger. Ammo is not as critical on a revolver but it is still a good idea to shoot what you carry. I find it is easier to carry my PF9 than a small revolver. The Kahr pistols are a bit more money but the quality is excellent.

My wife found she did not like the double action trigger pull of the revolver and is currently shooting a Glock 19. I have been looking at the Ruger SR9C for her as it has a smaller grip. She has decided that she wants to fire my PF9which she has dry fired. I dont push her. It has to be her choice. If she is OK with the PF9 I will try her out on a Kahr. Her choice but if she goes for the Kahr I will probably switch too which means a double batch of expensive ammo. I am also looking at the the Sig or S&W 380's for her. I am avoiding the double action pistols since she does not like the trigger pull.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 204 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Small semi-auto's come in 2 flavors. Locked breech and blowback.

Blowback. Generally larger, heavier and harder to rack the slide. The
Tomcat is a blowback 32. The tip up barrel is nice, but it has NO
extractor. If you ever have a misfire (and I have) it's a real pain in the
butt to clear. The cheapies--Jennings, Bryco, etc. are blowbacks.
Nothing really WRONG with the system, there are some dandy 32's and
380's out there that are blowbacks---Bersa, Walther etc.

Locked breech. Ruger LCP, the Kel-Tec bunch, etc. Lighter, easier to
rack the slide. My wife has arthritis in her hands. She can rack and shoot
my old (hers now) Kel-Tec P32. She has problems with my LCP. She had
a Tomcat, and could NOT rack the slide comfortably.

Revolvers. J-frame is pretty much the standard. 642's are light, can be had
with laser grips. If you have hand problems they might not be for you. Wife
tried one and it hurt her to pull the trigger. The Ruger LCR is supposed to
have a lighter trigger, but I haven't tried one yet.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #15

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a p11 keltec 9mm. It is easy to conceal in a pocket holster and it doesn't weigh much. BUT it can be a bear to rack the slide. I've heard from some dealers that some women who bought them for carry guns have traded them in because they couldn't rack them. I am no weakling, but have to make sure I get a good grip before I pull mine back. It packs a pretty good wallop when using hot rounds, too. If I shoot several mags at a session it can abraid the web of my hand between the thumb and index finger. I'm going to remember to wear gloves the next time I shoot it a lot at one time.
Good luck in finding the gun you want, I don't think the Keltec p11 would be a good fit for you.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #16

I own a kel-tec and when i think of a pocket gun, thats the one. Just keep her clean and lubed and you shouldnt have a problem

Old 10-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #17

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Is the Kahr family off this list because of cost? To load, you only need to lock the slide back and release it using your thumb after loading the magazine. I love my Kahr PM9. The trigger is really light and it is DAO. You need to completely pull the trigger for each shot, but that is no problem at the range. It is a great pocket pistol.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face