Pocket Pistol question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pocket Pistol question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pocket Pistol question

Hi Friends, Am looking at pocket pistols. Have read from a dealer on gun broker that the slide on small pocket pistols are hard to operate. I'm 65 years old and due to an illness have lost strength in my hands. I have a S&W 22a and a ruger SR9 and can pull the slides back on them pretty well with my right hand. Should I give up on pocket pistols? And does anyone know anything about Jeminez or Kel-Tec small guns? Thanks, Bernie

It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, but the moments that take our breaths that count.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2086 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 754

Kel-Tec's have a great reputation as small carry guns. I don't care for their triggers honestly.

Some pocket pistols have stiff slides, but there are plenty that fairly easy to operate. Find a gun store and play around with a few.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kel-Tec: Thumbs up.
Jimenez: Thumbs down.

PS: I've become a HUGE fan of the Ruger LCP.380. It's my main carry now, with the 10-rd. ProMag as a thin extended grip. Slide-racking resistance on it?... I guess it's average. Love the lightness and easy carryability of the LCP and, especially since I pack it with 10+1, feel confident enough with it. I strongly suggest you at least handle one before you decide. Ruger has sold a half-million (!) of these in less than 3 years... That says a lot.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 10-24-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8690 Times on 3763 Posts
Likes Given: 1336

Agree. Kel-tec pretty good. Jiminez or Jennings pretty bad.

On racking the slide- if you are right handed, try this:
Hold gun in your right hand, point gun towards the 10 o'clock direction, grasp slide in your left hand. Shove your hands TOWARDS each other briskly.

Works much better than hold in one hand, and trying to pull with the other.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Or you could check out the Beretta Tomcat, a .32 featuring a tip up barrel. That way you wouldn't have to rack the slide at all.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Or you could check out the Beretta Tomcat, a .32 featuring a tip up barrel. That way you wouldn't have to rack the slide at all.
Error
absolutely - great comment for this individual
i had one and my wife lost it - really
wish i had it back

this is the one i would get if i were you
i do understand the lost of strength - my wife can't operate most semiautomatics bigger than 22s and i also have some trouble sometimes
i like to look for semis that have an exposed hammer so i can cock it back before racking the slide

Attitude is Everything

Old 10-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You like the SR9 you have, why not look at the SR9C? Same basic pistol in a concealable size.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

if your having trouble racking slides go revolver...

Old 10-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #9

Default I have a keltec

The Keltec feels like a kick on your hand every time you fire it, in general a 9mm round will have that effect on small guns because of the small mass of that type of weapon.

Really there is a moment at the range when I'm shooting a pf9 when I'm wondering whether my hand will last until I finish my box of ammo.( you have to practice!).

Still, don't give up on pocket guns.
I would onsider a 5 shooter like a rugger LCR: .38 special is easier to handle because it delivers a slightly bigger round than a 9mm but a bit slower.
No slide to mess with, pus this revolver is very light.
Add $100 to te price of the keltec to get this one

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 10-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #10

I'm not sure how much your willing to spend, but I just got a Sig P238, and the slide on it is VERY easy to operate. I just got it last night, and only had a chance to fire 50 rounds through it, but it's an awesome little pistol.

It is very accurate out to 7 yards for such a small gun, and since it's an aluminum frame, the recoil isn't bad, especially when compared to other .380s of similar size (LCP or P3AT).

They can be had for around $600 easily, but I have seen them as low as $500 at gun shows.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"