pocket guns - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > pocket guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 150 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i want to see one that is the same size.
There are a few that are close, but nothing that can match the lcp in all three areas (length/height/width) at the same time. However, the differences may be small enough that they don't matter to you.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #72
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

thanks!!

the db9 comes very close the others arent even in the ball park for my needs. i was watching a hickok45 report on it and he was saying he had issues with it feeding for a bit. a quick search pulled up mixed reviews. im going to do some research on it as it may be what im looking for IF its reliable.

from the hickok vid it doesnt appear to be reliable.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-19-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #73
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
There are a few that are close, but nothing that can match the lcp in all three areas (length/height/width) at the same time. However, the differences may be small enough that they don't matter to you.
width and height are what matters to me length weight isnt as important.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Hmm.... To name a few: Better terminal ballistics, higher capacity, smaller size, bigger size, longer barrel length, smoother edges, lighter weight, heavier weight.... When you buy a gun you are always sacrificing one thing to gain another. And the rule of thumb that most people use for caliber is always the biggest bullet they can handle the best. Until you hit a mouse gun and then some people assume the only thing you need is a 380acp when there are tons of full size options the same size and weight that don't have the less than acceptable ballistics problems that 380 mighty-mice like to pretend don't exist.
Dude, the Kel Tec P11 is a 11 shot 9mm with a double stack magazine. That is a lot of pocket pistol. The P11 is small enough that I can use the magazine extension.

In regards to the 380 we both know that FMJ ammo has adequate penetration. You have said this yourself, pistols aren't powerful enough to stop a determined attacker by shock. Penetration is all pistols have going for them. From the few deer I have shot with a pistol I agree 100%.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-19-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

The smallest 9mm I know of is made by a German Co but it was kinda pricey. Think it was all steel as well which would make it heavy as well. Neg for carry but pos for recoil.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #76

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have a S&W 642. It is a 5 shot J Frame. It is made to shoot +P ammo. I shoot it really well. There is a guy at my IDPA club that shoots the same gun in competition. I am thinking about buying some more speed loaders for it just so I can mess with him a little. I doubt I would have any trouble defending myself with that gun.

I also have a Kahr CM9. That is even smaller than the J-Frame. It is 6 +1 in a 9mm. Really nice little gun.
Interesting, one of my standard CC pistols is a S&W 645. Ever

heard of a "flying ashtray"?

But I'm in the "relax mode", at home, now, and that solid little

S&W 61 is riding along, in my front pocket. It seems that

nothing beats a classic...

Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Dude, the Kel Tec P11 is a 11 shot 9mm with a double stack magazine. That is a lot of pocket pistol. The P11 is small enough that I can use the magazine extension. In regards to the 380 we both know that FMJ ammo has adequate penetration. You have said this yourself, pistols aren't powerful enough to stop a determined attacker by shock. Penetration is all pistols have going for them. From the few deer I have shot with a pistol I agree 100%.
Okay again, I'm not saying that if all you can handle is a 380 you're screwed. If that's all you can shoot then carry it man! But you gotta realize the difference. If you try to use JHP with 380acp you then don't have enough penetration to be able to reliably reach the vitals. So you are stuck with FMJ.

If you use FMJ you're talking about a permanent cavity at .35" versus a permanent cavity as big as .88" in diameter when you move from FMJ 380acp to 9mm JHP. That's twice as big. The bigger the hole the more the blood the faster the incapacitation. The difference between penetration and expansion of JHPs from 9mm to 45ACP and even 357 magnum are very slight. All close to 1" and all penetrating consistently at 12". ALL of them dwarf 380acp.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 11-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #78

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

My pocket gun is a p938, it's only like 3/8" longer than the 238,so I'd venture to say you can pack the 938 anyway you can pack a 238. But some folks have had their 238's for a loong time.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
The smallest 9mm I know of is made by a German Co but it was kinda pricey. Think it was all steel as well which would make it heavy as well. Neg for carry but pos for recoil.
Are you talking about the Rohrbaugh? Seems like a nice gun. Although expensive.

Another nice tiny 9mm that's crazy expensive is the Boberg.

Always have clean socks.