Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > pocket guns

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #51
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,367
Liked 3002 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

Jon: I "pocket" carry my LC9 on a daily basis... Not that "My Pockets" are any bigger then anyone elses.....


Delta: it's a good chart,..I just saved it to my Dropbox...The only thing it doesn't take into account are ext. Mags for (any) of them...Now that I have a few of the ext. 9 rounders for the LC9, The Grip feels even better then with the 7 rounders with the pinky ext...

__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*


Last edited by DrFootball; 11-18-2013 at 09:25 PM.
DrFootball is offline  
MoHawk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,944
Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla
In another thread, I brought up a story by a Forest Ranger who was called after a tourist shot a black bear several times w a 380 FMJ. The Ranger was not a happy camper, who wants to go into the bush after a wounded bear ? He was pleasantly surprised to find the animal dead about 70 yds from the encounter. While a 380 may not be ideal for self defense, it can get the job done. Hope someone passes this to Orangello...He will be overjoyed at the prospect of one less bear on the planet.
Anecdotal evidence of a single fluke story doesn't prove reliability. All 3 of these people were shot with 380ACP and survived. So it'll take down a bear but a woman gets shot in the head with it and is making tea for the cops when they get there?

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/06/22/story-columbus-woman-sentenced-dublin-shooting-fiance.html

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/classics/carr_brothers/6.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30268741/

Penetration to the vitals regardless of shot angles with as large of a permanent wound channel as possible and also penetrating through barriers when necessary is what makes a round reliable. Not stories of dead bears, as much as they may gratify Orangello's thirst for blood.

Unless you can't handle the recoil, why would you not carry the largest caliber mouse gun that you can comfortably carry? Am I saying a .380ACP is worse than a sharp stick? No. I am saying there are other options that are almost identical in size with much better terminal ballistics.

If you are injured or are weaker than my tiny handed stick wristed sweet little wife, and the only mouse gun you can handle comfortably is a .380acp, well heck that's what you should carry. But if you can handle more then why not carry something in a full size caliber that actually has good terminal ballistics.
__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-18-2013 at 10:38 PM.
DeltaF is offline  
Mongo Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #53
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,382
Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
i would but i dont have a google account. nor do i want one. google is bad enough without them having even more access to what i peruse.

i have seen both guns both are too big for pocket carry less your wearing cargo pockets. my standard is being able to get a firing grip on the gun so its under control and drawing it from the pocket. cant be done with a lc9 or similar. lc9 also has another major flaw. it has a magazine safety. mag safety is a strict no-go for ccw.

hit the mag release by accident and all of a sudden you got a brick. hit the mag release by accident on no safety gun and you still got at least one shot.

putting a lc9 or pf9 in the pocket it looks like a gun in your pocket. not even jessica rabbit woulda ask if your happy to see her... not good for discrete carry.

i would MUCH rather carry a bigger gun but there are times when you cant and the lcp allows you to never violate rule #1 of self defense. Have a gun, ANY gun!!
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...


Last edited by JonM; 11-18-2013 at 11:07 PM.
JonM is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #54
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,367
Liked 3002 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i would but i dont have a google account. nor do i want one. google is bad enough without them having even more access to what i peruse. i have seen both guns both are too big for pocket carry less your wearing cargo pockets. my standard is being able to get a firing grip on the gun so its under control and drawing it from the pocket. cant be done with a lc9 or similar. lc9 also has another major flaw. it has a magazine safety. mag safety is a strict no-go for ccw. hit the mag release by accident and all of a sudden you got a brick. hit the mag release by accident on no safety gun and you still got at least one shot. putting a lc9 or pf9 in the pocket it looks like a gun in your pocket. not even jessica rabbit woulda ask if your happy to see her... not good for discrete carry. i would MUCH rather carry a bigger gun but there are times when you cant and the lcp allows you to never violate rule #1 of self defense. Have a gun, ANY gun!!
Jon: no google acct. needed to view that Doc!. Delta: I had seen it Prior,..but I was able to save it this time,..Thanks...but as I said Prior(AISP), the chart doesn't take into account that many of those models have either "Factory Made Or Third Party" extended Mags.. As good as My LC 9 is, It's even BETTER with the extended Mag with the Grip, and will even be better with the Grip Glove when I get it. Issue is,..there is never a "perfect" fit to anyone's hand. This from Gunsite's Ed Stock himself.....
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
otisthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 349
Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Unless you can't handle the recoil, why would you not carry the largest caliber mouse gun that you can comfortably carry? Am I saying a .380ACP is worse than a sharp stick?
Well let's see...

1) The p238 has the same general function as a 1911, of which I have a few and shoot often (and often carry a 3in 9mm or 3in .45).
2) It's smaller than the p938, which would be MY next best option for pocket carry.
3) I don't care for the trigger pull on most pocket guns. The 238 I'm fine with.
4) It's fun to shoot, so I get regular practice.
5) I get bored with plastic guns and trade them often, so I like a pocket gun that I want to keep around.
6) I like it.

If, in the infinitesimal chance I ever have to use it, and if the bad guy brushes off my little .380 rounds like they're pebbles, feel free to throw an "I told ya so" my way.
__________________
otisthecat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,944
Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

LoL you guys get so defensive........

If you don't want to bother educating yourself on the ACTUAL OPTIONS AVAILABLE then live on in your own fantasy world.

Again, if you are injured or too weak to handle anything more than a .380ACP in that size of a gun I can completely understand. I sympathize with you, i've had to deal with my own similar issues recently. Otherwise, why limit yourself? That chart CLEARLY depicts the large number of pocket gun options available all the way up to .45ACP

__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
DeltaF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MoHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 2,431
Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Jon: I "pocket" carry my LC9 on a daily basis... Not that "My Pockets" are any bigger then anyone elses.....


Delta: it's a good chart,..I just saved it to my Dropbox...The only thing it doesn't take into account are ext. Mags for (any) of them...Now that I have a few of the ext. 9 rounders for the LC9, The Grip feels even better then with the 7 rounders with the pinky ext...

While I don't make a habit of carrying my LC9 in my pocket on a regular basis, I have. I have multiple holsters for it and normally find one that works. Though sometimes, I stuff it into my pocket and go about my business. My LC9 is one of the BEST guns I have ever owned. It is VERY accurate, by ANY standard, but especially when you take it's size into consideration. It could be set up for pocket carry a little better by putting the flat magazine base on, though I prefer the finger groove. It holds 8 rounds and is just as reliable as ever other Ruger I have owned. I HIGHLY recommend it. It has 9mm stopping power without carrying a G26....
__________________

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
MoHawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #58
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,367
Liked 3002 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
LoL you guys get so defensive........ If you don't want to bother educating yourself on the ACTUAL OPTIONS AVAILABLE then live on in your own fantasy world. Again, if you are injured or too weak to handle anything more than a .380ACP in that size of a gun I can completely understand. I sympathize with you, i've had to deal with my own similar issues recently. Otherwise, why limit yourself? That chart CLEARLY depicts the large number of pocket gun options available all the way up to .45ACP
Hey I'd be the first to admit if I had difficulty handling a certain Gun. But I see where your coming from. I know i'm not gonna carry a 44 Mag. on a daily basis. Way too many options out there for Pocket/Deep concealment. Once I adjusted My Grip slightly(couldn't use the same regular Grip I "Re-Learned" from Our Uncle with the 1911 and then the M9)...Once I lowered where my off hand placement was(and Put my REGULAR GLASSES on!) it all got better.... Ex: Saturday I was Practicing Mag. Swap Drills with all of the 9's I brought with me..Put the first 10 down Range( From the SR9 )at a 10 Yd Target with a "shoot N see" on the Carrier, and Swapped the Next Mag and dumped the next 10 downrange. No Big right? Husband & Wife On Lane 2 next to me were like "Huh WHAT WAS That???" " I said,.."That is The Ruger SR9,..the Sound of Freedom!" Yeah....
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*


Last edited by DrFootball; 11-19-2013 at 01:25 AM.
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #59
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,367
Liked 3002 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk
While I don't make a habit of carrying my LC9 in my pocket on a regular basis, I have. I have multiple holsters for it and normally find one that works. Though sometimes, I stuff it into my pocket and go about my business. My LC9 is one of the BEST guns I have ever owned. It is VERY accurate, by ANY standard, but especially when you take it's size into consideration. It could be set up for pocket carry a little better by putting the flat magazine base on, though I prefer the finger groove. It holds 8 rounds and is just as reliable as ever other Ruger I have owned. I HIGHLY recommend it. It has 9mm stopping power without carrying a G26....
When I pocket carry it, It's still in a holster. I'm also now carrying at least one of the extended 9 Rd. Mags with me,.usually the one in the Gun,..10 Rounds on tap with the one in the tube, and 2-3 of the 7's for "reserve"...
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
otisthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 349
Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
LoL you guys get so defensive........
Well, you asked a question, I gave you an answer. If you want the short version, I just don't care that much about caliber and prefer to spend my money on a gun that I want as opposed to one that may or may not be marginally better in a confrontation that's probably never going to happen. Recoil (or lack thereof) didn't factor into the equation.
__________________
otisthecat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
1K in my pocket... PathfinderAFW General Handgun Discussion 28 07-01-2013 09:23 AM
Pocket .380 donray Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 12 02-23-2013 01:02 AM
These Pocket .380's danf_fl Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 4 06-03-2012 03:12 PM
Looking at a Pocket 9 Shihan Semi-Auto Handguns 11 10-26-2011 01:54 AM
.45 ACP Pocket Gun? WannaGator Semi-Auto Handguns 4 04-22-2011 01:17 AM



Newest Threads