Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > pocket guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #51
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3002 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Jon: I "pocket" carry my LC9 on a daily basis... Not that "My Pockets" are any bigger then anyone elses.....

Delta: it's a good chart,..I just saved it to my Dropbox...The only thing it doesn't take into account are ext. Mags for (any) of them...Now that I have a few of the ext. 9 rounders for the LC9, The Grip feels even better then with the 7 rounders with the pinky ext...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 11-18-2013 at 09:25 PM.
MoHawk Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla
In another thread, I brought up a story by a Forest Ranger who was called after a tourist shot a black bear several times w a 380 FMJ. The Ranger was not a happy camper, who wants to go into the bush after a wounded bear ? He was pleasantly surprised to find the animal dead about 70 yds from the encounter. While a 380 may not be ideal for self defense, it can get the job done. Hope someone passes this to Orangello...He will be overjoyed at the prospect of one less bear on the planet.
Anecdotal evidence of a single fluke story doesn't prove reliability. All 3 of these people were shot with 380ACP and survived. So it'll take down a bear but a woman gets shot in the head with it and is making tea for the cops when they get there?

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/06/22/story-columbus-woman-sentenced-dublin-shooting-fiance.html

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/classics/carr_brothers/6.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30268741/

Penetration to the vitals regardless of shot angles with as large of a permanent wound channel as possible and also penetrating through barriers when necessary is what makes a round reliable. Not stories of dead bears, as much as they may gratify Orangello's thirst for blood.

Unless you can't handle the recoil, why would you not carry the largest caliber mouse gun that you can comfortably carry? Am I saying a .380ACP is worse than a sharp stick? No. I am saying there are other options that are almost identical in size with much better terminal ballistics.

If you are injured or are weaker than my tiny handed stick wristed sweet little wife, and the only mouse gun you can handle comfortably is a .380acp, well heck that's what you should carry. But if you can handle more then why not carry something in a full size caliber that actually has good terminal ballistics.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-18-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Mongo Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #53
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
i would but i dont have a google account. nor do i want one. google is bad enough without them having even more access to what i peruse.

i have seen both guns both are too big for pocket carry less your wearing cargo pockets. my standard is being able to get a firing grip on the gun so its under control and drawing it from the pocket. cant be done with a lc9 or similar. lc9 also has another major flaw. it has a magazine safety. mag safety is a strict no-go for ccw.

hit the mag release by accident and all of a sudden you got a brick. hit the mag release by accident on no safety gun and you still got at least one shot.

putting a lc9 or pf9 in the pocket it looks like a gun in your pocket. not even jessica rabbit woulda ask if your happy to see her... not good for discrete carry.

i would MUCH rather carry a bigger gun but there are times when you cant and the lcp allows you to never violate rule #1 of self defense. Have a gun, ANY gun!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-18-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
i would but i dont have a google account. nor do i want one. google is bad enough without them having even more access to what i peruse. i have seen both guns both are too big for pocket carry less your wearing cargo pockets. my standard is being able to get a firing grip on the gun so its under control and drawing it from the pocket. cant be done with a lc9 or similar. lc9 also has another major flaw. it has a magazine safety. mag safety is a strict no-go for ccw. hit the mag release by accident and all of a sudden you got a brick. hit the mag release by accident on no safety gun and you still got at least one shot. putting a lc9 or pf9 in the pocket it looks like a gun in your pocket. not even jessica rabbit woulda ask if your happy to see her... not good for discrete carry. i would MUCH rather carry a bigger gun but there are times when you cant and the lcp allows you to never violate rule #1 of self defense. Have a gun, ANY gun!!
Jon: no google acct. needed to view that Doc!. Delta: I had seen it Prior,..but I was able to save it this time,..Thanks...but as I said Prior(AISP), the chart doesn't take into account that many of those models have either "Factory Made Or Third Party" extended Mags.. As good as My LC 9 is, It's even BETTER with the extended Mag with the Grip, and will even be better with the Grip Glove when I get it. Issue is,..there is never a "perfect" fit to anyone's hand. This from Gunsite's Ed Stock himself.....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Unless you can't handle the recoil, why would you not carry the largest caliber mouse gun that you can comfortably carry? Am I saying a .380ACP is worse than a sharp stick?
Well let's see...

1) The p238 has the same general function as a 1911, of which I have a few and shoot often (and often carry a 3in 9mm or 3in .45).
2) It's smaller than the p938, which would be MY next best option for pocket carry.
3) I don't care for the trigger pull on most pocket guns. The 238 I'm fine with.
4) It's fun to shoot, so I get regular practice.
5) I get bored with plastic guns and trade them often, so I like a pocket gun that I want to keep around.
6) I like it.

If, in the infinitesimal chance I ever have to use it, and if the bad guy brushes off my little .380 rounds like they're pebbles, feel free to throw an "I told ya so" my way.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

LoL you guys get so defensive........

If you don't want to bother educating yourself on the ACTUAL OPTIONS AVAILABLE then live on in your own fantasy world.

Again, if you are injured or too weak to handle anything more than a .380ACP in that size of a gun I can completely understand. I sympathize with you, i've had to deal with my own similar issues recently. Otherwise, why limit yourself? That chart CLEARLY depicts the large number of pocket gun options available all the way up to .45ACP

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #57

Liked 493 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Jon: I "pocket" carry my LC9 on a daily basis... Not that "My Pockets" are any bigger then anyone elses.....

Delta: it's a good chart,..I just saved it to my Dropbox...The only thing it doesn't take into account are ext. Mags for (any) of them...Now that I have a few of the ext. 9 rounders for the LC9, The Grip feels even better then with the 7 rounders with the pinky ext...

While I don't make a habit of carrying my LC9 in my pocket on a regular basis, I have. I have multiple holsters for it and normally find one that works. Though sometimes, I stuff it into my pocket and go about my business. My LC9 is one of the BEST guns I have ever owned. It is VERY accurate, by ANY standard, but especially when you take it's size into consideration. It could be set up for pocket carry a little better by putting the flat magazine base on, though I prefer the finger groove. It holds 8 rounds and is just as reliable as ever other Ruger I have owned. I HIGHLY recommend it. It has 9mm stopping power without carrying a G26....

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
LoL you guys get so defensive........ If you don't want to bother educating yourself on the ACTUAL OPTIONS AVAILABLE then live on in your own fantasy world. Again, if you are injured or too weak to handle anything more than a .380ACP in that size of a gun I can completely understand. I sympathize with you, i've had to deal with my own similar issues recently. Otherwise, why limit yourself? That chart CLEARLY depicts the large number of pocket gun options available all the way up to .45ACP
Hey I'd be the first to admit if I had difficulty handling a certain Gun. But I see where your coming from. I know i'm not gonna carry a 44 Mag. on a daily basis. Way too many options out there for Pocket/Deep concealment. Once I adjusted My Grip slightly(couldn't use the same regular Grip I "Re-Learned" from Our Uncle with the 1911 and then the M9)...Once I lowered where my off hand placement was(and Put my REGULAR GLASSES on!) it all got better.... Ex: Saturday I was Practicing Mag. Swap Drills with all of the 9's I brought with me..Put the first 10 down Range( From the SR9 )at a 10 Yd Target with a "shoot N see" on the Carrier, and Swapped the Next Mag and dumped the next 10 downrange. No Big right? Husband & Wife On Lane 2 next to me were like "Huh WHAT WAS That???" " I said,.."That is The Ruger SR9,..the Sound of Freedom!" Yeah....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Last edited by DrFootball; 11-19-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk
While I don't make a habit of carrying my LC9 in my pocket on a regular basis, I have. I have multiple holsters for it and normally find one that works. Though sometimes, I stuff it into my pocket and go about my business. My LC9 is one of the BEST guns I have ever owned. It is VERY accurate, by ANY standard, but especially when you take it's size into consideration. It could be set up for pocket carry a little better by putting the flat magazine base on, though I prefer the finger groove. It holds 8 rounds and is just as reliable as ever other Ruger I have owned. I HIGHLY recommend it. It has 9mm stopping power without carrying a G26....
When I pocket carry it, It's still in a holster. I'm also now carrying at least one of the extended 9 Rd. Mags with me,.usually the one in the Gun,..10 Rounds on tap with the one in the tube, and 2-3 of the 7's for "reserve"...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
LoL you guys get so defensive........
Well, you asked a question, I gave you an answer. If you want the short version, I just don't care that much about caliber and prefer to spend my money on a gun that I want as opposed to one that may or may not be marginally better in a confrontation that's probably never going to happen. Recoil (or lack thereof) didn't factor into the equation.