pocket guns - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

pocket guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

^^^ Excellent post!
"Those who know how to build their own homes, grow their own food, hunt and slaughter animals for meat, and have a healthy balance of hope and cynicism for humanity will be the ones left at the end, not some 350 pound fatass with a cache of AR's."
-NRA Life Member
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #42

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

Id want to be Able to hit from 15 -20 yards just so i can feel confident knowing id be able to hit a pshyco person trying to kill me, if im at a walmart and somone steps in with an ak and starts killing people for no reason i dont want to be 7 feet to hit my target he will most likely be walking down the aisle. And if I have a clean shot I don't want to miss and have him end up killing me, i understand. The oocket guns are mostly used for muggings at close distance but id be screwed if some walked into a movie theatre with a high capacity mag or rifle or shotgun I need a gun that's multi purpose but still able to keep in a back pocket with a holster right now I see the ruger lcr the glock 26 or the sig p938. As posibble canidites oh and the lc9 I really like the 26 but its just too big ;(

Old 11-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #43

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Id want to be Able to hit from 15 -20 yards just so i can feel confident knowing id be able to hit a pshyco person trying to kill me, if im at a walmart and somone steps in with an ak and starts killing people for no reason i dont want to be 7 feet to hit my target he will most likely be walking down the aisle. And if I have a clean shot I don't want to miss and have him end up killing me, i understand. The oocket guns are mostly used for muggings at close distance but id be screwed if some walked into a movie theatre with a high capacity mag or rifle or shotgun I need a gun that's multi purpose but still able to keep in a back pocket with a holster right now I see the ruger lcr the glock 26 or the sig p938. As posibble canidites oh and the lc9 I really like the 26 but its just too big ;(
If someone has any semi auto rifle you are out gunned with any pistol. A 380 would serve me just as well as a full size pistol. The only shot I would take would be point blank to the head. A pistol vs rifle shootout seldom ends well for the pistol shooter.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 158

A Seal Vet said it best, "A pistol is what you use to fight your way to a rifle."

Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #45
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Wait. Do you mean stagger rounds in EACH magazine or have a full magazine of FMJ then another full magazine of HP?

Admit it. You love my little Sig.
Its a very nice gun. I still prefer the lcp for pocket carry its ultra discrete and allows me never to violate rule 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
Another vote for the P238. I carry with HPs. Penetrate or not, I figure a chunk of metal flattening out against your chest is going to hurt like hell.
Pain isn't a factor in fight or flight. An astounding majority of folks who are shot in a fight don't realize it till they die or the adrenaline stops flowing. When the adrenaline is pumping it acts like an anethestic in the human body blocking almost all pain sensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
.380acp, embrace the SUCK:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/380ACP/380ACP%20Summary%20Table.pdf

There are dozens of mouse guns available in much more effective calibers.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B22wLsy YEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3Z Dlm&hl=en_US

I can shoot a 120 POST Qual score with a Keltec pf9 and ruger LC9. I can put an entire box of ammo inside of the kill ring of a Denton qualification silhouette at 25 yards with either guns on a good day. Providing you can handle the recoil (my mouse handed stick wristed wife can......) why bother carrying something smaller??
I have yet to see a round in a gun bigger than 380 that is truly pocket carry. Be nice if I could get a 9mm lcp but the version ruger has out now chamberedn 9mm is just too big for pocket carry and still be able to easily draw one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I really like the 238 and the 938 even more but not for pocket carry - Murphy's Law reigns supreme and w pocket carry, your just too close to family jewels.

I would agree w Jon but the OP must understand there is no free lunch when it comes to pocket pistols. The light weight of the LCP which makes it such a joy to carry also makes it a chore to shoot for most people. (Not J frame w 357 bad but still worthy of note) NAA revolver is the smallest gun on the mkt and I've know quite a few people who carry them in hot weather environments. You just have to be comfortable cocking a hammer on a very small pistol.

Why do you need to shoot at 15-20 yds ? Your just asking for a lawsuit. The avg self defense distance is less than 6 ft and any gun mentioned so far is more than accurate at that distance. In fact, I have hit from lawsuit distance & farther w my LCP if I can get a clean release but I do have a laser. No way I could do that w LCP's open sights. ( Hump n Bump Variety ) Long distance w pocket pistols - Bad Karma...
The lcp has surprisingly minimal recoil for a mouse gun. My wife who doesn't like snappy recoil shoots the lcp well. Its also surprisingly accurate
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Its a very nice gun. I still prefer the lcp for pocket carry its ultra discrete and allows me never to violate rule 1. Pain isn't a factor in fight or flight. An astounding majority of folks who are shot in a fight don't realize it till they die or the adrenaline stops flowing. When the adrenaline is pumping it acts like an anethestic in the human body blocking almost all pain sensation. I have yet to see a round in a gun bigger than 380 that is truly pocket carry. Be nice if I could get a 9mm lcp but the version ruger has out now chamberedn 9mm is just too big for pocket carry and still be able to easily draw one. The lcp has surprisingly minimal recoil for a mouse gun. My wife who doesn't like snappy recoil shoots the lcp well. Its also surprisingly accurate
Did you actually look at the google docs chart I linked to?

Also I carry an lc9 or a pf9 in my pocket every day. And I'm a little guy.

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #47

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Did you actually look at the google docs chart I linked to?

Also I carry an lc9 or a pf9 in my pocket every day. And I'm a little guy.
I usually carry a Kel Tec P 11 in my pocket. There are times when the P 11 is just too big. What is one to do when the 9mm is too large? Put a 20mm rock in their pocket? I would prefer any gun over the 20mm rock.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I usually carry a Kel Tec P 11 in my pocket. There are times when the P 11 is just too big. What is one to do when the 9mm is too large? Put a 20mm rock in their pocket? I would prefer any gun over the 20mm rock.
Obviously you didn't look at the google docs chart I posted either.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B22wLsy YEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3Z Dlm&hl=en_US

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-18-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 158

In another thread, I brought up a story by a Forest Ranger who was called after a tourist shot a black bear several times w a 380 FMJ. The Ranger was not a happy camper, who wants to go into the bush after a wounded bear ?

He was pleasantly surprised to find the animal dead about 70 yds from the encounter. While a 380 may not be ideal for self defense, it can get the job done.

Hope someone passes this to Orangello...He will be overjoyed at the prospect of one less bear on the planet.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #50
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I figure that if I can keep 3 mags/21 rounds inside a 5" black center at 7 yards rapid fire I am good to go. I can do that with the Sig 238.