pocket guns - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > pocket guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1888 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You can get 7 round mags for the Sig P238. I have 3 of them. I had a P3AT and an LCP. The key word is had as they are not pleasant to shoot. The 238 is a pleasure to shoot and is accurate. Most of the 380 HP rounds expand too quickly and penetration suffers while the fmj's will over penetrate. I have found the XTP to be be the best compromise with tests showing 12" - 14" in gel and 4 layers of denim. The Sig P938 is a little bigger and heavier but is 9mm.
By the way, it is not a good idea to carry anything other than a handkerchief in your back pocket. Even a wallet will over time cause nerve damage if you sit a lot. Long distance driving will be a lot more comfortable with your back pockets empty.
It is long learning process to learn to shoot a pocket pistol accurately. I bought a JA 22 to learn to shoot a pocket pistol. You have to use the trigger guard as part of the stock with your off hand. I probably put 5,000 rounds through the JA 22 and another 1,000 rounds through the P 3AT before I could hit a target every time at 15 yards with a pocket pistol. The margin of error is tiny and the smallest errors are magnified with a pocket pistol.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #32

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts

May be old school, but it'll put all five in a playing card at 60 feet....

"Those who know how to build their own homes, grow their own food, hunt and slaughter animals for meat, and have a healthy balance of hope and cynicism for humanity will be the ones left at the end, not some 350 pound fatass with a cache of AR's."
-NRA Life Member
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #33

Liked 2555 Times on 1456 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

I'm no spectacular shot. Generally, since I'm primarily a

range shooter, I carry a full-size pistol for SD.

But when I do carry my .22LR CC /SD pistol,

I simply don't obsess about stopping power,

too much.

On the one hand, I, certainly, like the rest of you,

hope I never am put in a situation where I am

forced to hurt anyone in order to defend myself or

family.

OTOH, if a BG doesn't think 22LR is enough stopping power,

I figure I've got 4 more shots to change his mind, after

primary ventilation.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #34

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

I have a S&W 642. It is a 5 shot J Frame. It is made to shoot +P ammo. I shoot it really well. There is a guy at my IDPA club that shoots the same gun in competition. I am thinking about buying some more speed loaders for it just so I can mess with him a little. I doubt I would have any trouble defending myself with that gun.

I also have a Kahr CM9. That is even smaller than the J-Frame. It is 6 +1 in a 9mm. Really nice little gun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #35

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

Hey therewolf...I have an NAA mini revolver in 22mag. I will sometimes carry that in my shorts pocket when bicycling. It may not be a full powered round. But it sure beats my bicycle pump!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #36

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I pocket carry a Ruger LCR in 38+p and I love it. It's my back up gun for work, and has become my go to CC pistol. I love it's light weight, trigger, and how well it shoots. It's 5 round capacity does bother me. Its not about how many rounds you have, but how well you shoot the rounds you have.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My Sig P238 in it's pocket holster.

Not meaning to be a safety Nazi here, but I noticed your hammer cocked and gun safety off...not good if loaded IMO.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2412 Times on 1330 Posts
Likes Given: 325

.380acp, embrace the SUCK:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/380ACP/380ACP%20Summary%20Table.pdf

There are dozens of mouse guns available in much more effective calibers.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B22wLsy YEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3Z Dlm&hl=en_US

I can shoot a 120 POST Qual score with a Keltec pf9 and ruger LC9. I can put an entire box of ammo inside of the kill ring of a Denton qualification silhouette at 25 yards with either guns on a good day. Providing you can handle the recoil (my mouse handed stick wristed wife can......) why bother carrying something smaller??

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 265 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfynn

Not meaning to be a safety Nazi here, but I noticed your hammer cocked and gun safety off...not good if loaded IMO.
I really like the 238 and the 938 even more but not for pocket carry - Murphy's Law reigns supreme and w pocket carry, your just too close to family jewels.

I would agree w Jon but the OP must understand there is no free lunch when it comes to pocket pistols. The light weight of the LCP which makes it such a joy to carry also makes it a chore to shoot for most people. (Not J frame w 357 bad but still worthy of note) NAA revolver is the smallest gun on the mkt and I've know quite a few people who carry them in hot weather environments. You just have to be comfortable cocking a hammer on a very small pistol.

Why do you need to shoot at 15-20 yds ? Your just asking for a lawsuit. The avg self defense distance is less than 6 ft and any gun mentioned so far is more than accurate at that distance. In fact, I have hit from lawsuit distance & farther w my LCP if I can get a clean release but I do have a laser. No way I could do that w LCP's open sights. ( Hump n Bump Variety ) Long distance w pocket pistols - Bad Karma...
image-2271764344.jpg  

Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 430 Times on 286 Posts

I think most of the disagreement about pocket guns and calibers has to do with our differences in experiences and expectations. For most of us a 380 is fine. Our lifestyles dictate that we will fit into the normal statistics of a close range one on one situation if we ever need our CC weapon. Plus being a CC weapon we would have a tactical advantage. We are not law enforcement or specially trained military personnel that will likely find ourselves in a long drawn out gun battle at distance with multiple assailants or heavily armed foes. Most of us aren't Seals, Rangers or any other class of people that can kick ass, and plan to handle extreme situations. We're mostly partially trained enthusiasts. If we are faced with heavy gun battles at distance our best bet is to take cover and by time for the pros. But in a one on one battle at close range our little 22s, 32s and 380s usually will suffice. Any gun is better than none.