pocket guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > pocket guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default pocket guns

I wear a pocket knife as often as I carry my phone keys and wallet, I usually don't carry concealed and if I do feel like it its a glock 19 inside the waistband holster it gets uncomfortable and becomes a hassle so I don't carry as much as I'd like to so I might just buy a pocket gun so I can carry it as often as my wallet i like the glock 26 but its just too big too carry comfortable and not print what do you guys suggest? Must be able to hit a target at atleast 15 - 20 yards and must be chambered for a round suitable for self-defense. Must be able to carry in your back pocket comfortably I'd like a gun as close as I can get to what I want any suggestions? I'm thinking a ruger lcr revolver I just don't like the fact its low capacity

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7416 Times on 4460 Posts
Likes Given: 9170

I really like my Sig P238.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2987 Times on 1721 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

There are going to be some trade offs with requirements.

A pocket .380 normally carries 6+1, fits in the back pocket, but normally is not that accurate.

I encourage use of a pocket holster be used.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I use the Sig 938. a tiny 1911-like pocket pistol.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

MoHawk Likes This 
Old 11-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

A pocket .380 normally carries 6+1, fits in the back pocket, but normally is not that accurate.

I have the Blackhawk size 3 pocket holster for my 938. Works with and without the laser.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #6

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I currently have 2 (what most would refer to as) pocket guns and the comment above (dan_fl) is right on when it comes to trade offs. Accuracy at 15-20 yards is going to be more difficult to come by with the short barrel guns and, caliber preference, should you have any, can be an issue. I have a Bodyguard 380 and a Kahr CM9 and really like both of them. I couldn't honestly say, though, that I am really accurate at the distance the OP noted but considering that both are defense guns and the fact that I am simply not a great shot anyway, they work just fine for me.

Like most things in life it will be a matter of preference for the OP but seeking opinions is the way to go. Gather as much info as possible - try some out yourself - then go for it.

Do keep us posted as to which way you go with this.

Kahr CM9
Kahr CW380
Ruger SR22

Old 11-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 479 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 158

A friend of mine has a Bond derringer in .357, that is surprisingly accurate to around 10 to 15 yards, recoil is bad with magnum loads, .38 special is much more controllable,, I have heard that the new aluminum and titanium frame double action derringer in 9mm and .45acp, is supposed to be very good, although the brand name eludes me at this time. As stated before , trade offs are a given, but many small pistols I have shot, are adequate at 5 to 7 yards which many consider to be a limit to defensive range as far as many state's regulations in regards to legal issues in a shooting. Have fun shopping for one, good luck.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I have a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 that carries well in a pocket. 6+1, dependable, never an fte nor ftf.
Also, sometimes I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in a pocket. %-shot .44 special with 2.5" barrel. Lightweight, but packs a good punch.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7416 Times on 4460 Posts
Likes Given: 9170

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

My Sig P238 in it's pocket holster.

The downside......here is a target at about 8 yards. That short barrel makes it much more difficult to stay on target. But I have no doubt I can stop a threat with my little Sig.

And I'm not usually that bad a shot. Here's a target with my Mark II at about 8 yards. The wild shots on the upper left is when I put the target out to 25 yards and tried to use my scope. But up close I didn't do so bad.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I'm thinking a ruger lcr revolver I just don't like the fact its low capacity
Every pocket gun conceivable will have limited capacity. Most are in the same boat, with about 5-6 shots. Nothing wrong with the LCR or revolvers in general, so long as you train on reloads. Plus most pocket guns are .380. You can get the LCR in .38 Special or .357 Magnum. Not trying to start a caliber war, but I think most would agree five rounds of either of those is better than five rounds of .380.

I'm also not saying there's anything WRONG with .380

Always have clean socks.