Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pocket gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Pocket gun

The only hole in my collection is that I don't have a true pocket gun. I'm looking at one of the smallish .380s as I actually have quite a bit of that caliber on hand. I'm not a real fan of the Kel-Tec as they just look cheap to me. Don't really want to spend more than $500 or so which leaves out Seecamp and Rohrbaugh. Any feedback is welcomed. (I had a trade working for an LCP but it fell through so I'm back to step 1)

Does anyone have an NAA Guardian .380? One of my (almost) local shops has one but I'd like some feedback before I drive an hour to look at it...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I don't really have much experience with .380, but it's something I've been keeping my eye on as a potential purchase. My research implies that the best combination of quality and affordability seems to be Bersa Thunder. You can get them for $300 or so, in a variety of finishes.

Here's a rundown of the primary .380acp options under $500.

Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by sweeper22; 08-11-2009 at 07:04 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Ruger LCP and it runs fine. I looked at the NAA .380 but it was too heavy. Being made of all stainless steel, it was reassuring in construction but felt twice as heavy as my LCP in my pocket. I would imagine it would get to be a drag as heavy as it is (literally).

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you can find an S/A AMT Backup made in the Covina factory, buy it.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Bersa Thunder 380

I had one Bersa Thunder .380, double stack, hi-cap... 15+1 and I love it.... I had to sell it but if I can buy one again I will do it for sure... A brand new Bersa Thunder 380 single stack version is in the price range that you want... I like the duo-tone finish like the one I had.
Oh, one more thing.... is a mtter of preference, but I dislike the "concealed carry" version of the Bersa Thunder 380... that has finger groves in the grip, and don't come with sights, thinner grips, low profile hammer/controls (dehorned).... but I said, is a matter of preference... you have to try it.
Regards.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The only hole in my collection is that I don't have a true pocket gun. I'm looking at one of the smallish .380s as I actually have quite a bit of that caliber on hand. I'm not a real fan of the Kel-Tec as they just look cheap to me. Don't really want to spend more than $500 or so which leaves out Seecamp and Rohrbaugh. Any feedback is welcomed. (I had a trade working for an LCP but it fell through so I'm back to step 1)
Kahr PM9

Yes, I know it's more than 500.00.

However, .380 ammo is currently running almost twice the price of 9mm, and .380 is definitely more difficult to obtain these days.

If you shoot fairly often, the PM9 will save you money in the long run, not to mention give you better stopping power.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #7

I have a bunch of .380 ammo so that is not a problem for me. I had a PM9 for a time and it was a nice gun and spending $500 isn't a big deal for me really as I just sold a few safe queens. The whole "stopping power" notion is overblown IMHO as no handgun will guarantee a one shot stop. If I do my job with placement, a .380 with good ammo will get the job done.

Looked at pocket guns again last night at my local haunt but didn't pull the trigger on any yet. They did have an old blued Walther PPK (not a PPK/S) and I had to take it home as I really like the older Walthers. New grips are on the way as the black plastics were in rough shape. It will actually make an OK pocket gun as the grip is a tad shorter than the new models - a bit heavy though. I'll post some pix after the new grips go on...

Old 08-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's where we disagree-the same exact thought that no handgun is guaranteed to deliver a 1 shot stop every time means that the bigger, more powerful handguns are more likely to deliver that stopping shot. Remember I'm talking about PRIMARY carry guns. That means you have smaller leeway with smaller, less powerful handguns. While NO sidearm is guaranteed to deliver an instant stop every single time, the big 1s are more likely to. I don't claim to know all the factors involved-as all situations are different. Having said that I'll step down from my soapbox and readily admit to carrying a pocket size .380/9mm as secondary gun ONLY to 1 of my .45 carry guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The whole "stopping power" notion is overblown IMHO as no handgun will guarantee a one shot stop. If I do my job with placement, a .380 with good ammo will get the job done.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #9

Can't argue with you that bigger is certainly better caliber wise. My point is that there are times I don't want to strap on a 1911 or a .357 and a gun in the pocket is better than being unarmed.

No, I wouldn't expect the same results out of .380 as .45 but then again I'm confident a .380 will be adequate if I put the shots where they need to be...

Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

To be honest with you guys, and not to sound all bad ass here, but to me it does not matter what caliber the handgun, if I am forced as a last resort of a life-threatening situation to pull my piece and use it, there will be at least a double tap minimum, in less than 2 seconds, even with my .45. Muscle memory training and shooting habit dictate this. Again, firearm as the last result. One shot, one kill is only for long rifles and snipers, IMO. Autopsy will not be able to prove if the first or second round killed the POS, only that he is now a dead POS.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”