Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > POA/POI affected by recoil spring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default POA/POI affected by recoil spring?

If your semi-auto pistol is using an 18# recoil spring and you replace it with a 13# spring. Will it change your POA/POI? If yes, should you expect it to go higher or lower (if using same ammo)?

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
If your semi-auto pistol is using an 18# recoil spring and you replace it with a 13# spring. Will it change your POA/POI? If yes, should you expect it to go higher or lower (if using same ammo)?
That can only be determined once the first few shots are fired and the caliber type, weight of original handgun and the ammo grain used. Adjustments for POA/POI may, or may not be needed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

It wont affect it. Newton still applies. The gun wont move or recoil until the bullet exits the muzzle. The force of the round going forward is equal to the rearward force until the equation changes as the bullet exits. The forward thrust is no longer there to offset the rearward force or recoil. So this makes weight of spring a moot issue in terms of affecting poapoi

You can see it in action on any highspeed camera shot of a gun going off

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
It wont affect it. Newton still applies. The gun wont move or recoil until the bullet exits the muzzle. The force of the round going forward is equal to the rearward force until the equation changes as the bullet exits. The forward thrust is no longer there to offset the rearward force or recoil. So this makes weight of spring a moot issue in terms of affecting poapoi
Hmmm. I agree that Newton's law applies but for me, it starts at primer ignition not when the bullet exits the barrel. As the bullet moves forward, the slide moves backward simultaneously.

The reason heavier bullets hit higher than lighter bullets (early part of trajectory) is because they stay in the barrel longer (travels slower).

Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Hmmm. I agree that Newton's law applies but for me, it starts at primer ignition not when the bullet exits the barrel. As the bullet moves forward, the slide moves backward simultaneously.

The reason heavier bullets hit higher than lighter bullets (early part of trajectory) is because they stay in the barrel longer (travels slower).
Yes but the force forward still equals rear. Equal and opposite. Recoil doesnt start till the bullet is gone. Weight of bullet and external ballistics is different than internal ballistics. Same exact bullet charge primer etc with only a spring change poapoi wont change.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The force is equal but will the speed of the slide recoil not change with a lighter spring? Thus, won't it affect how fast the barrel tilts upward as well as the pistol itself?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
The force is equal but will the speed of the slide recoil not change with a lighter spring? Thus, won't it affect how fast the barrel tilts upward as well as the pistol itself?
yes but that has no effect on poa/poi of the bullet itself. the spring and slide dont start moving until after the bullet is gone. this is true of revolvers too.

this demonstrates it the best. the flash is when the bullet has left the barrel and recoil starts.

http://youtu.be/s5pVya7eask?t=23s

Old 07-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
yes but that has no effect on poa/poi of the bullet itself. the spring and slide dont start moving until after the bullet is gone.
Jon, I would respectfully disagree.

The slide and spring definitely will not move as fast as the bullet but I believe they start moving as soon as you had an ignition. Again, this is the reason why heavier (slower) bullets tend to hit higher than lighter (faster) bullet. As fast as they fly out, they are still affected by the barrel movement/recoil.

Of course the entire pistol also start the recoil process at the same time and depending on the grip, POI may also change.

Just my personal beliefs/understanding which may be wrong.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
That can only be determined once the first few shots are fired and the caliber type, weight of original handgun and the ammo grain used. Adjustments for POA/POI may, or may not be needed.
Much as I wanted a more definitive answer, I guess this is the simplest way to go through this. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Much as I wanted a more definitive answer, I guess this is the simplest way to go through this. Thanks!
Ya just gotta go with the flow man. Life always requires them little adjustments to maintain one's overall personal proficiency.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”