Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > PMR-30 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default PMR-30 questions

Ok so I i seem to have fallen in love with this pistol that I dont know much about besides it seems to me to be the closest thing to a F-N Five seven that does not carry the thousand dollar price tag. None of my shooting buddys have known of anyone that has had one most havent even heard of it, For those of you who dont know this fairly new pistol is a Kel Tec 22 mag semi auto pistol that holds 30 round mags.
So I seen on some other forums of some horror storys about this gun not being worth a crap, Hard to load clips, not cycling, Jamming, discharging on its own...etc. Also I cannot find it no wherethe only place in my area that can even get them the Ozark Armory get like 1 or 2 a week and im number 31 on the waiting list.
So what Im getting at is has anyone on here got any good storys about this pistol or are they really crap? And what is the deal with the limited availability? I thought It sounded to good to be true when I found out it only cost about 290 bucks compared to the 1000 for a F-N Five Seven.
Any info someone can fill me in with would be much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #2

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

The PMR-30 is an interesting gun. I wont lie to you and tell you that I own one, but I have held one. The gun, in all honesty, feels cheaply made. It rattled fairly well (not sure if it was just the mag or not, never checked). There have been a number of reported problems with the gun.

Now, allow me to tell you why all of that is ok !

The reason I am such a big Kel-Tec fan is their customer service. Among those who own Kel-Tecs (as well as other guns) and who have had problems with them, 95% or better love the customer service. Its fast, its free, and its for the lifetime of the gun! In some cases, guns have outlived their expected round count. In these cases Kel-Tec has been known to actually take a brand new gun of the same model, and re engrave your guns serial number on the new one. This is hush hush though, its not a official stance by the company, just the experience of some owners who have actually pushed their guns that far.

So in summary, if its broke, they will fix it. No questions asked (more or less).

As for the gun feeling cheap? Well I would have to say that most KT's feel cheap. That doesn't mean they don't work great however. Check out KTOG.org if you want some specific information on that model. They have a dedicated board for the PMR.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5314 Times on 2774 Posts
Likes Given: 335

there are a couple of folks here me included in a wait and see mode on the pmr-30. my feelings on it are i REALLY like the idea of an affordable 30 round 22wmr pistol. but that is tempered by reports of unexpected kabooms in the new guns. i have no desire to buy a grenade gun. im waiting till the bugs are fully shaken out. i do want one but not at the expense of being a beta testor.

i dont think its ready enough for me to buy one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't researched it a lot recently but I did read an internet report about problems with the barrel rifling. Sounds like production is very limited at the moment while they sort some issues out. KelTec has been a responsible company. These kinds of problems can come up with new releases of any gun from any company... especially a somewhat exotic animal like the PMR30. Sounds like this one's going to take awhile to get sorted out.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

I thought the same way, maybe I'll wait for them to get a good handle on the design then get one. But you know then the price will move up to the F-N Five Seven range.
So I think I'll buy one and since there customer service is so great when they get a good handle on the design I will have them Fix it up for me If it has problems.
I just know Once they get this pistol rocking and rolling the price will be jumping up for sure.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #6

So Maybe in thirty weeks my name will finally be called on the waiting list lol

Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #7

One more thing....What do you guys know about the p30 grendel? Is this similar to the PMR-30? Is the PMR-30 action a replica of the P-30 or totally different design? I know the P30 looks alot different and once again never actually held one or known anybody who has.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5314 Times on 2774 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbaq View Post
One more thing....What do you guys know about the p30 grendel? Is this similar to the PMR-30? Is the PMR-30 action a replica of the P-30 or totally different design? I know the P30 looks alot different and once again never actually held one or known anybody who has.
the grendel was a less than successful attempt at the pmr30. it predates the pmr30 i would pass on it. keltech will definately fix it if you have issues. be sure to report back when you get it!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #9

I've talked to two dealers in my area about the PMR 30 and both told me so far people are having nothing but problems with them. I don't know the details of the issues they were having....I didn't ask. The first gentleman I talked to said out of the eight he sold so far, six were returned to the shop and shipped back to Kel-Tec.

Not saying they're a bad pistol, just wait a little while for Kel Tec to get the bugs worked out.