Please tell me if I'm in the wrong!!!! - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Please tell me if I'm in the wrong!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Kids get curious. Even more so when you are not there to supervise. Any time you do not have a firearm in your immediate possession when kids are present, LOCK THEM UP! Every year many kids are killed by mommy or daddy leaving a loaded pistol laying around. If you live in a $hitty neighborhood where you feel a need to be armed in your home 24/7..... move.
Very well said! Thank you.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #82

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I for one would not keep a loaded gun in plain sight with a small child around, ever. They can be told over and over again to leave them alone but sometimes curiosity gets the better of them. One shot can change your life forever. Can you imagine living with the aftermath of a child's death caused from an accidental shooting involving one of your handguns? This is not to mention the possible legal consequences. I say put that gun away NOW. Why do you feel the need to have a loaded gun immediately available in the house? Does a threat situation exist? If so, that needs to be taken care of. I know some of you might not agree with me but that is my opinion.
I agree with keeping a loaded weapon, where it cannot be accessed by a child. BUT.....I keep a loaded handgun with me at ALL times. (yes, even in the bathroom) Am I paranoid? Not at all. I've given several of my Lib friends something to think about, with this simple test,:

1. Get a steak from the fridge.

2. Get a steak knife from the drawer.

3. Lay the steak on the counter.

4. Call 911, and start stabbing the steak.

5. When 911 arrives, stop stabbing the steak.

6. Look at steak.

This could be YOU, or one of your loved ones. An extreme example, perhaps, but it illustrates the need for a handgun at the ready. I did not create the world we live in; but I will not be a victim of it, either.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step, will surely be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge”.
Author Unknown

eatmydust Likes This 
Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #83

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

Holy crap Batman! It's a Zombie Thread!

Seriously though...I used to keep a gun in the top of my closet. When my son was old enough to get at it I bolted a cheap safe in the top of the closet. Now I would trust him to defend the home if he had to. He is 15 and an accomplished shooter.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1578 Times on 1076 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Even if you can't afford a gun safe a lockable gun cabinet will keep curious minors away from your guns. A lockable gun cabinet will also keep many burglars away from your guns.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #85

Liked 1015 Times on 566 Posts
Likes Given: 1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Even if you can't afford a gun safe a lockable gun cabinet will keep curious minors away from your guns. A lockable gun cabinet will also keep many burglars away from your guns.
Or an old fridge in the basement with 5 padlocks on it....I live with a Redneck...lol

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

I can`t tell you or your wife which right or wrong all I can do is tell you past experiences. We grew up as kids with guns everywhere & some not as high up as the top of the frig, but you did NOT touch a gun unless dad said so & there were never any problems. And now I have four boys all grown now, but when growing up, other than the arms room which is almost always locked, I have & always have had guns laying around the house & my boys knew not to bother them, & there was never a problem. Now I have a 2 year old granddaughter & when she comes over & if she sees a gun that just happens to be out she points, shakes her head & says papaws gun don`t touch, I believe it`s all in the teaching & I have three generation of proof.

When all else fails.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #87

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 630

From what I understand, a kid that age does not POSSESS the ability to understand this type of thing. No matter that you have explained, and shown, etc. He may not have any interest TODAY, but TOMORROW is another story….

So, you're not wrong, your wife is. Although, the gun should be under lock and key…..

Last edited by clr8ter; 02-18-2014 at 05:37 PM.
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 02-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Zombie thread. Still:

Sunday, November 17, 2013

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Fayetteville police said a 4-year-old boy playing with a loaded handgun shot and killed himself Saturday morning. Police responded to a home in the 1600 block of Stanford Court just before 10:45 a.m. Investigators said Killian Perez got the loaded handgun from on top of a refrigerator and shot himself.

Full story: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9328427

From lawyer Al Patrick’s site:

The most memorable for me occurred in Onslow County, where a young boy found his father’s loaded .357 revolver on top of the refrigerator and accidentally shot his playmate in the face. The child survived, but had a significant facial injury that required extensive treatment, reconstructive surgery and resulted in a lifetime of issues related to the shooting.

Link: http://www.lawyerseast.com/blog/2013/12/firearm-safety-accidental-shooting-children/

Last edited by Vincine; 02-18-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
Or an old fridge in the basement with 5 padlocks on it....I live with a Redneck...lol
Humidity FTL! Make sure he has a goldenrod or some similar humidity combatant.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #90

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lock everything up. Once my niece got old enough to walk all my stuff gets locked up in a locked room. My sister likes to stop by alot. I found that the quick access biometric vaults works great in my top dresser drawer. I use it to keep my sd- carry gun in when im home.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

you pew pew pew lately bro!?