Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Please tell me if I'm in the wrong!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Please tell me if I'm in the wrong!!!!

My wife keeps her xd9 on top of the fridge in the kitchen in plain sight. We have a 5 year old boy who I have extensively explained that "mom and dads guns are not toys"!!!!!!!! And explained the difference between our guns and his and also showed him what they are capable of. With that being said. He has no interest in any of them whatsoever and I know he isn't going to touch them at all. I told my wife that she needs to put put it out of sight!!! But yet it remains up there. Am I wrong for wanting her to keep it out of sight? Personally don't believe I am. Just put it somewhere that is fairly easy to get too if the need arises.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I for one would not keep a loaded gun in plain sight with a small child around, ever. They can be told over and over again to leave them alone but sometimes curiosity gets the better of them. One shot can change your life forever. Can you imagine living with the aftermath of a child's death caused from an accidental shooting involving one of your handguns? This is not to mention the possible legal consequences. I say put that gun away NOW. Why do you feel the need to have a loaded gun immediately available in the house? Does a threat situation exist? If so, that needs to be taken care of. I know some of you might not agree with me but that is my opinion.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I for one would not keep a loaded gun in plain sight with a small child around, ever. They can be told over and over again to leave them alone but sometimes curiosity gets the better of them. One shot can change your life forever. Can you imagine living with the aftermath of a child's death caused from an accidental shooting involving one of your handguns? This is not to mention the possible legal consequences. I say put that gun away NOW. Why do you feel the need to have a loaded gun immediately available in the house? Does a threat situation exist? If so, that needs to be taken care of. I know some of you might not agree with me but that is my opinion.
+100000000000000000000000000000 totally agree. I use to keep a gun in each room of the house hidden in various spots. The day my daughter started crawling they went into the safe, I would have her keep it on her hip if she wants one close by.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 04-27-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #4

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quite telling her & hide the dam thing yourself ----
Better yet - lock all the guns up- YOU keep one hid you can both get too---
You have kids in the house !!!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

BWM243 Likes This 
Old 04-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to all these comments. Ive got a baby boy on the way and have already started to think about all this. I've got a safe coming shortly from my fiances uncle that he doesn't use anymore where all my guns will be stored except for my HD pistol. I've been looking at the wall clocks that have a hidden compartment in them but not quite sure about that yet. Has anyone used one of these?
I was reading on here somewhere that somebody built a hidden compartment in the wall that is opened by a hidden pressure plate and thought that was a pretty cool idea

Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!! I didn't think I was wrong

Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6746 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

You are VERY right. I would never have a gun laying around with kids in the house. And......they sometimes have friends over and those friends don't know "the rules". I never leave a gun unlocked in my house unless I am carrying it. If something were to happen with your son and that gun, you can never take it back. That would be hell to live with. Absolute hell. Not to mention I think charges of negligence could be pressed against you, which would make it even worse.

Don't just hide the guns, the kids could still find them............LOCK THE GUNS UP IN A SAFE!

If you want a gun in a particular room, use a small safe with a quick open biometric door

Last edited by winds-of-change; 04-27-2012 at 07:04 PM.
BWM243 Likes This 
Old 04-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #8

Liked 368 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 995

i keep my gun on my side when home and if its not on my side i take the mag out and keep it in my pocket or in my safe spot but i can get to both in a hurry if need be,but never together when the kids are around.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #9

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
You are VERY right. I would never have a gun laying around with kids in the house. And......they sometimes have friends over and those friends don't know "the rules". I never leave a gun unlocked in my house unless I am carrying it.
Quote:
If something were to happen with your son and that gun, you can never take it back. That would be hell to live with. Absolute hell.
Why not google "child killed by handgun in home" or something like that & show her how many times a year it really happens
If that doesn't convince her lock HER ass up

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I don't have kids and all of mine except my carry gun are locked up. Lock it up so an accident cannot take your boy away.