please answere me this. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > please answere me this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Lets see...........a 225gr JHP loaded with 6.7 grains of Unique (max load) travels at 883 fps, would this bullet have a flat trajectory out of a handgun, that probably has a 4" bbl, to justify a scope? Uh, not in my opinion. If your buddy feels the need for something to aid in his target acquisition have him try a lazer or maybe just some good old range time.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamzow View Post
My buddy has a nice Sig p220 st. He kills me though when he goes out and buys a scope for it. What is that all about. Why and who does that. Seriously a scope on a hand gun. Really???

Zamzow
To each his own when it comes to firearms and sights. There is generally no right or wrong as long as the shooter is safe with it.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #13

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Thank you so much for clarifying that. I totally forgot that gun has a moving slide. I still have so much to learn. *embarrassed*

The good scope mounts attach to the frame. Only lightweight reflex sights should be mounted to the slide.......They are light enough not to affect the action of the slide and are less apt to failure from the violent shock they are subject to being slide mounted. I would like to think no one would mount a scope on a slide just on common since alone...

Last edited by oli700; 04-21-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7777 Times on 4669 Posts
Likes Given: 9745

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700 View Post
The good scope mounts attach to the frame. Only lightweight reflex sights should be mounted to the slide.......They are light enough not to affect the action of the slide and are less apt to failure from the violent shock they are subject to being slide mounted. I would like to think no one would mount a scope on a slide just on common since alone...
Be patient with me. I am learning every day. I didn't know how a scope would mount on a semi-auto with a slide. I'm telling you, just assume I know nothing because I usually don't.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3077 Times on 1543 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
As has been stated, people do it all the time. They do it for competition, target, and even hunting. If he's not doing any of those things with it, it's pretty silly.
Silly? Some of us aren't blessed with the same great vision we had when we were 18.
So, anyway, why can't it just be for the fun of it? Simple fact: Optics make any gun easier to shoot accurately.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #16

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Be patient with me. I am learning every day. I didn't know how a scope would mount on a semi-auto with a slide. I'm telling you, just assume I know nothing because I usually don't.
Well, its not the best place to put glass but there are mounts these days to allow it- I've had a couple J-Points on 1911 style guns but the only "scope" i've had on one was frame mounted- something i'll never do again

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #17

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Silly? Some of us aren't blessed with the same great vision we had when we were 18.
So, anyway, why can't it just be for the fun of it? Simple fact: Optics make any gun easier to shoot accurately.
I apologize, I didn't even think of that. And there's nothing wrong with doing it for the fun of it either.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #18

Liked 2567 Times on 1669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
Id say its silly on a ccw or home defense gun. Ive got a buddy with a .460 revolver with a scope.
A red dot scope is quicker to pick up a target than open sites, in my experience. Handle one on a firearm, you might be surprised.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #19

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
A red dot scope is quicker to pick up a target than open sites, in my experience. Handle one on a firearm, you might be surprised.
Well, opinions vary on this - As i mentioned i had a couple of J-Point reflex sights (NOT a scope) - I think I was quicker to pick up the target with them but it took practice - I really dont think a red dot scope is near as fast to pick up I guess the key word is practice with whatever you have

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 04-21-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #20

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
oh, I didnt mean that bad toward you , or anyone for that matter.