Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Pistol vs Revolver... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/pistol-vs-revolver-26910/)

NymphoGnome 05-07-2010 08:27 PM

Pistol vs Revolver...

I have just shot my first 40 mm, and in wishing I remembered the name of it (the grip was almost too small for my hand) I am now in love with 40 mm's.
I was wanting to know some Pro's and Con's in the Pistol and Revolver, before I decided to go looking.

Jo da Plumbr 05-07-2010 08:29 PM

Do you mean 40 caliber?

skullcrusher 05-07-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NymphoGnome (Post 282078)
I have just shot my first 40 mm, and in wishing I remembered the name of it (the grip was almost too small for my hand) I am now in love with 40 mm's.
I was wanting to know some Pro's and Con's in the Pistol and Revolver, before I decided to go looking.

40 mm = 1.574803"

.40 caliber = roughly .4"

Like Jo, I am gonna assume that you are speaking of the .40 S&W round. I am gonna offer up that a revolver is a pistol just like any handgun is a pistol.

Now, based on that, here's what you need to know.

A semi-automatic pistol is an auto feeder. Meaning there is a spring fed magazine that place the next bullet into position to load the chamber each time the gun is fired. Generally, they are capable of holding more bullets than a revolver. They also have many moving parts. That means there are many things that have to work right to keep the gun firing when you pull the trigger.

A revolver generally holds fewer rounds. Each time the gun is fired the cylinder moves to the next position so the gun can be fired again. Revolvers have fewer moving parts, and are regarded as being more reliable because of that. Since the bullets are already loaded into the chambers of the cylinder, there are fewer things that can go wrong.

Of course, this is all based on both types of pistols being in good and safe working condition.

Semi-auto = more rounds

revolver = more reliable

There are exceptions to those generalizations.

NymphoGnome 05-07-2010 09:46 PM

Okay well just gotta remember 40 Cal now, My uncle is always harping get a Revolver if you wake up in the night you don't wanna worry about the gun jamming.

Missileman 05-07-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 282085)
40 mm = 1.574803"

.40 caliber = roughly .4"

Like Jo, I am gonna assume that you are speaking of the .40 S&W round. I am gonna offer up that a revolver is a pistol just like any handgun is a pistol.

Must be Friday, I feel like arguing. There are a lot of definitions of "pistol" but almost all of them state that the chamber is part of the barrel--thus a revolver is not, by definition, a pistol. From Websters:

Pistol definition
pis·tol (pis′təl)

Noun

1.a small firearm made to be held and fired with one hand
2.such a firearm in which the chamber is part of the barrel

NymphoGnome 05-07-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missileman (Post 282113)
Must be Friday, I feel like arguing. There are a lot of definitions of "pistol" but almost all of them state that the chamber is part of the barrel--thus a revolver is not, by definition, a pistol. From Websters:

Pistol definition
pis·tol (pis′təl)

Noun

So I win?!?!?

orangello 05-07-2010 10:17 PM

Get both!!!! (and just call them handguns)

skullcrusher 05-07-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missileman (Post 282113)

Pistol definition
pis·tol (pis′təl)

Noun

Weaksauce.

Sorry, Missleman, but a revolver is a pistol because it matches definition 1. :D

Show me where it says that any word has to match every definition of the word for that word to be a valid description.

For instance, how many definitions are there for the word chamber or the word barrel?

Arguement is null and void. :p

robocop10mm 05-07-2010 10:58 PM

I was going to chime in, but I see skully is having "one of those days" and I do not want to feed the monster.

skullcrusher 05-07-2010 11:15 PM

*Skull puts both hands in plain view and slowly backs away from this thread*