Pistol stance. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pistol stance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1615 Times on 1106 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Lots of competitive shooters are big on the isosceles stance. When they shoot only one shoulder is behind cover, center mass is exposed. Yet, you never hear a RO say "cover" when they are shooting. Apparently cover is only for some shooters. Once you are in the clique you are bullet proof and do not need to shoot from cover.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 05-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #12

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

So far the only stance help I have needed to give was with a few female shooters as they wanted to lean back. I showed them how to lean into it just a little and they saw the difference quickly. Now I show them more about shooting on the move and from cover and see what happens.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:50 AM   #13

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Get the basics

Grip: One cannot control a handgun without a strong and correct grip on the handgun. However, correct and strong grip does not happen by accident. One must learn how to apply and maintain a grip. So the early teaching and learning (one hopes) is a bit different than advanced grip acquisition. In slow fire target shooting, one acquires a proper grip in a deliberate and intentional manner. When drawing from a holster in self-defense, the acquisition is a different process, but hopefully the results are much the same. (That's the point of the early training.)

Also, since not all people have hands, fingers, wrists and forearms of equal geometry and strength, the actual grip on the handgun will of necessity be somewhat different for each individual. However, all grips (verb, in the meaning of gripping the handgun) need to control the handgun in acquiring a sight picture (or pointing), firing and recoil recovery. Similarly, all grips (noun, as in what one installs on the handgun to separate frame from hand) need not be identical, depending on firearm, individual hands and sometimes the purpose.

A similar concept applies to 'stance'. One must learn to position the entire body in such a way as to provide maximum control of the firearm in both aiming and recoil recovery. Therefore, when learning, one is taught to stand erect with the head erect, feet so far apart and firmly balanced... and so forth. Self-defense may require a rather quicker assumption of stance. Self-defense - or hunting - may require 'other' positions, such as kneeling, prone, supine or recovering from a fall.

I strongly suggest the student of the handgun begin with learning basic target skills. Once a control and familiarity with the handgun is achieved, one may progress to self defense and other forms of ad hoc shooting. 'Grip' and 'stance' make more sense in this fashion.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

As far as stance is concerned I have been a "Weaver" guy for many years. As philosophy has changed I have tried to go to an isosceles stance. It has been difficult. Isosceles makes use of MY primary cover, body armor. Weaver allegedly makes the shooter a smaller target.

There are some faults to the Weaver philosophy. While standing straight on to the opponent may make you a larger target, getting shot straight on generally means you will be shot in ONE organ. Getting shot at an angle is more likely to involve more than one organ (lung, heart, lung or liver, stomach, pancreas). If only one organ is involved, liklihood of survival is much higher.

The problem with isosceles is when shooting from behind hard cover. Weaver is a better suited for this.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #15

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My wife has always been a good shooterfrom her .22lrs to her 357 dw revolver but one thing has held true for her even with her cc pistols. She is not a two handed shooter. Always been far better off squared up to the target , sort of a squared up one hand hold ,with handgun slightly tilted , maybe 15*. Her groups are 50% smaller shooting that way.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 944

Your 'stance' will very with the type of shooting you are doing. Look at a bulls eye shooters stance and compare it to a defense stance. If we are discussing a defense stance I teach a 'basic' fighting stance (bent knees, crouch, weight forward) and let the individual student adapt to it as their build, strength, and technique dictates. I believe the most important part of shooting in general, especially hand gun shooting, is trigger control.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1615 Times on 1106 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
As far as stance is concerned I have been a "Weaver" guy for many years. As philosophy has changed I have tried to go to an isosceles stance. It has been difficult. Isosceles makes use of MY primary cover, body armor. Weaver allegedly makes the shooter a smaller target.

There are some faults to the Weaver philosophy. While standing straight on to the opponent may make you a larger target, getting shot straight on generally means you will be shot in ONE organ. Getting shot at an angle is more likely to involve more than one organ (lung, heart, lung or liver, stomach, pancreas). If only one organ is involved, liklihood of survival is much higher.

The problem with isosceles is when shooting from behind hard cover. Weaver is a better suited for this.
I learned to shoot from the weaver stance. I am certainly making better use of available cover than a shooter in an isosceles stance. What the isosceles stance does for me is allow me to back up much easier and naturally.

Learning to shoot from both stances would be an advantage to any shooter. Learning to shoot on the move could save you from being stabbed or beaten with a club.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Here's what I think about pistol stance-

For the competition shooter/marksman type: You should have a go-to stance. It should probably be rigid and repetitive, as is the case with most muscle-memory skills. Tedious details are critical.

For carry and defense: You should shoot how you're comfortable shooting. We all have different bodies, balance, agility, tendencies, etc. In a flight or fight moment, I'd prefer to be well-acquainted with shooting in a less rigid and more instinctive approach. Your shooting habits are critical in that moment, but so are half a dozen other issues (situational assessment, cover, escape, collateral risks, etc).

Old 05-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

This may sound funny, but I have found a martial arts stance the best for me personally. It is like the weaver stance, but broader with knees slightly bent. Since I have some MA training, it was natural, and it's quick to move from or with. Interestingly, I ran across a Max Michel video where he was describing his stance, and it sounded very similar. Just a thought.

Sent from my ridiculously over-priced iPhone using Firearms Talk

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."