Pistol stance.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pistol stance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Default Pistol stance.

We hear it preached to us by instructors, professional shooters, and just good marksman. You've all heard it. Proper grip and stance when pistol shooting. On the other side of the spectrum we hear don't conform to others. For example type of gun,ammo, or caliber. We say pick what gun works for you and what caliber your best with. So with that said what do you guys think on this? Should we say if you shoot better with a different stance than the pros you should ignore it and do it the "right way"? Or shoot with what your good with??

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1849 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

You learn about the basic techniques, then you choose what works for you. Get the best score, and no serious instructor will muck with your stance.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 18 Posts

I know grip pertains to recoil direction. You dont want recoil traveling down your thumb, you want it down your arm.

As far stance not too sure, i like to shoot in real world situations so my stance varies all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
We hear it preached to us by instructors, professional shooters, and just good marksman. You've all heard it. Proper grip and stance when pistol shooting. On the other side of the spectrum we hear don't conform to others. For example type of gun,ammo, or caliber. We say pick what gun works for you and what caliber your best with. So with that said what do you guys think on this? Should we say if you shoot better with a different stance than the pros you should ignore it and do it the "right way"? Or shoot with what your good with??
if something works for a person, it just doesn't make good sense to me to change to something some might think is more proper or right.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Stance

It depends on how much shooting instruction my students have had before they come to me as to how much I work with them on stance. I take them through what we use in competition and later work with them on off-balance, awkward stances, similar to what you might have to use in an unexpected self-defense encounter. Weaver, modified Weaver, Isosceles, etc. are just steps for a new shooter to take to find what he or she likes best and, more importantly, what works best for them. Any competent instructor will make sure their students have some stance that will help them deliver accurate, rapid & possibly sustained fire from different positions. Just a note, I had a student who was a computer store owner who kept starting out in a good, solid stance and, when the buzzer sounded, got up on his "tippy toes" to shoot. I did work with him till we broke that habit. It did not work for him and, upon seeing videos of himself, he declared that it looked funny too!

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1849 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeball View Post
I know grip pertains to recoil direction. You dont want recoil traveling down your thumb, you want it down your arm.

As far stance not too sure, i like to shoot in real world situations so my stance varies all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Of course. One handed, close quarters, on the move, they are all different. You need the stance in a qualifier (or a match) to shoot your absolute best.

It's like boxing. Punching is not the foundation, it's the legwork. There is only a certain way to position your legs to keep moving and stay balanced at the same time. Once you got that down, you will hone your personal style.

Last edited by Mercator; 05-08-2014 at 11:53 AM.
jjfuller1 Likes This 
Old 05-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I don't believe that we are lemmings jumping off a cliff.

I know what works for me in different circumstances. I teach, but I adapt my techniques to the individual I am teaching.

Not everyone is the same physically or mentally.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2375 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 682

If you assume a stance, you are exposed and not moving which makes a good target. It is not hard to hit a target from a good stance but if that target is moving and shooting back your stance is going to get you killed. You need to be able to shoot from any position you may find yourself in including strong and weak side and maybe even rolling on the floor. My first shots will be as the gun clears and is pointed in the right direction. This is why a gun must point naturally anytime every time. (Why I dont own Glocks.) You cant be fumbling around with your grip. You should be able to look at a target, close your eyes, bring the gun up, open your eyes and it should be pointed at the target. You need to be able to do this from any position, one or two handed, strong or weak even if you are twisted.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 707

good info and thoughts.. it just seemed to me that we never hear this from the pros. kinda had me thinking.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I will say: if you did not have any Professional training in many years, and you sign up for classes as a "Refresher" of your skills, it's nice to hear from the instructor that you have a good stance or grip.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...