Pistol shooting position - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pistol shooting position

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I pay more attention to my feet/shoulders/grip than my arms, so I couldn't even say.

I know I was trained, for on the range, straighten your arms all the way to elbow lock, and then flex them just enough to unlock. So that's probably what I do, or something close to it. I shoot isosceles by the way. I'm way more accurate that way than weaver.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #12

Liked 270 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
In step two of Basic Handgun Trng. this is known as the Isosceles postiton. This departs from the one handed or Bulls Eye shooting postition. Begining shooters can develope a 2 hand hold sight alignment trigger control etc. This allows a new shooter to move on to the old Weaver Stance or what ever two handed Combat hold they may choose.
I am not a para-military shooter, mostly field shooting at game, now of late paper targets. I shoot to get my shot off the quickest and most accurately.

This is sort of what works for me:

Heavy loaded .45 Colt in a Ruger Blackhawk.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; 10-26-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Bent elbows here!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Modified Weaver at the range, isosceles in the men's room.
People Like This 
Old 10-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7290 Times on 4030 Posts
Likes Given: 7066

Isosceles, straight dominant arm, bent support arm. That way, the whole body, not just the arms absorbs the recoil, and I'm back on target faster.

IMHO, Weaver or isosceles are equal, and it's a matter of personal preference.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 10-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
IMHO, Weaver or isosceles are equal, and it's a matter of personal preference.
From a stationary position I agree with you. My problem comes into play when advancing. I was taught Weaver, and if I have to move forward I find it more natural. It would be interesting to know if the isosceles fans find it easy to advance or if they feel a little awkward.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #17

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherkip View Post
I have been shooting for years and always slightly bent my elbows when shooting. Now a nephew has taken up shooting and someone at the range he belongs to told him to keep his arms straight. This makes no sense to me as the bent elbows absorb recoil rather than taking that shot clear up into your shoulders. Of course he would rather listen to a stranger at the range than his uncle who has been shooting for 50 years.

So who is right?
You both are right. They are both effective techiques that work. It comes down to which technique works best for the individual.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #18

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

At close ranges (under 10 yards) I have no problem shooting any pistol with one hand from the blade stance. Any further I need to assume a weaver stance to hit a 6" target (what I call adequate).

I do believe that beginners should spend some time with a large pistol shooting from a bench. They need to see how accurate a handgun can be and they need it to be instinctive to get behind something to prop a weapon on. There are lots of great shots that have been hit by gunfire because they didn't instinctively take cover.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/