Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > pistol purchasing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 12 Posts

Default pistol purchasing question

I am a new permit holder in new York and wondered how you check the trigger pull in a store before purchase to see how it feels I didn't want to make a fool of myself. But want a pistol I like in every way thanks for help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #2

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneam2006
I am a new permit holder in new York and wondered how you check the trigger pull in a store before purchase to see how it feels I didn't want to make a fool of myself. But want a pistol I like in every way thanks for help.
Ask permission ---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #3

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Ask permission ---
Exactly that. Ask the LGS owner/operator if you can dry fire it.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #4

Thank you I figured that was the answer but I just wanted confirmation thanks.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #5

Yea, I would imagine at the most a gun store owner would probably throw a snap cap in it.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneam2006 View Post
Are there ranges close by that rent guns? Try out the models that you are interested in. Trigger pull is only part of the equation, different models of the same caliber can shoot and feel very differently, grip size can also alter the feel and control as well as felt recoil.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Are there ranges close by that rent guns? Try out the models that you are interested in. Trigger pull is only part of the equation, different models of the same caliber can shoot and feel very differently, grip size can also alter the feel and control as well as felt recoil.
Unfortunately, it is illeagal to even touch a pistol that is not on your permit here in NY. Some LGS will allow you to handle the goods before puchasing the pistol, most I have been to will, a few will not. None of the ranges in my area rent handguns. The best advice I can give is to find a friend with what you are interested in buying, and go with them to a range. Most ranges will let it slide when it comes to one member letting another try out a pistol on the range. The best advice I can give is to do what I am doing. Get out of NY while you still can. Move to a freeer state.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #8

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

They will not let you touch the handgun unless you show a New York permit. Maybe some will, but most will not.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

Unfortunately, it is illeagal to even touch a pistol that is not on your permit here in NY. Some LGS will allow you to handle the goods before puchasing the pistol, most I have been to will, a few will not. None of the ranges in my area rent handguns. The best advice I can give is to find a friend with what you are interested in buying, and go with them to a range. Most ranges will let it slide when it comes to one member letting another try out a pistol on the range. The best advice I can give is to do what I am doing. Get out of NY while you still can. Move to a freeer state.
I left NY 2 1/2 years ago after 35 years of being "enslaved". I now live where we don't need helmets, seatbelts or pistol permits!

Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #10

Pa?*? Lol I get it trust me I live 10 min from pa it's crazy the difference moving 10 miles south would make. Anyways thanks for all the advice I just bought the ruger Sr9 .

forumrunner_20121229_104750.jpg