Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   pistol purchasing question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/pistol-purchasing-question-79582/)

stoneam2006 12-27-2012 11:43 PM

pistol purchasing question

I am a new permit holder in new York and wondered how you check the trigger pull in a store before purchase to see how it feels I didn't want to make a fool of myself. But want a pistol I like in every way thanks for help.

HOSSFLY 12-27-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoneam2006
I am a new permit holder in new York and wondered how you check the trigger pull in a store before purchase to see how it feels I didn't want to make a fool of myself. But want a pistol I like in every way thanks for help.

Ask permission ---

Brennan16 12-27-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Ask permission ---

Exactly that. Ask the LGS owner/operator if you can dry fire it.

stoneam2006 12-27-2012 11:51 PM

Thank you I figured that was the answer but I just wanted confirmation thanks.

thefarmboy21 12-29-2012 04:11 AM

Yea, I would imagine at the most a gun store owner would probably throw a snap cap in it.

Jpyle 12-29-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoneam2006 (Post 1068652)

Are there ranges close by that rent guns? Try out the models that you are interested in. Trigger pull is only part of the equation, different models of the same caliber can shoot and feel very differently, grip size can also alter the feel and control as well as felt recoil.

kfox75 12-29-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 1070261)
Are there ranges close by that rent guns? Try out the models that you are interested in. Trigger pull is only part of the equation, different models of the same caliber can shoot and feel very differently, grip size can also alter the feel and control as well as felt recoil.

Unfortunately, it is illeagal to even touch a pistol that is not on your permit here in NY. Some LGS will allow you to handle the goods before puchasing the pistol, most I have been to will, a few will not. None of the ranges in my area rent handguns. The best advice I can give is to find a friend with what you are interested in buying, and go with them to a range. Most ranges will let it slide when it comes to one member letting another try out a pistol on the range. The best advice I can give is to do what I am doing. Get out of NY while you still can. Move to a freeer state.

Rarity 12-29-2012 07:20 AM

They will not let you touch the handgun unless you show a New York permit. Maybe some will, but most will not.

Brennan16 12-29-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfox75

Unfortunately, it is illeagal to even touch a pistol that is not on your permit here in NY. Some LGS will allow you to handle the goods before puchasing the pistol, most I have been to will, a few will not. None of the ranges in my area rent handguns. The best advice I can give is to find a friend with what you are interested in buying, and go with them to a range. Most ranges will let it slide when it comes to one member letting another try out a pistol on the range. The best advice I can give is to do what I am doing. Get out of NY while you still can. Move to a freeer state.

I left NY 2 1/2 years ago after 35 years of being "enslaved". I now live where we don't need helmets, seatbelts or pistol permits!

stoneam2006 12-29-2012 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pa?*? Lol I get it trust me I live 10 min from pa it's crazy the difference moving 10 miles south would make. Anyways thanks for all the advice I just bought the ruger Sr9 .

Attachment 76902