Pistol for my Mom - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pistol for my Mom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hard to go wrong with the Ruger LCR.

1weight.jpg

This is my Elsie Ahrrr loaded, w/clip-draw and in under one pound!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Hey AH-1, You are correct. Marksman is very close. Have been there. As far as all advice given by all, do have to agree that revolvers might be a better choice at first. But yet, I really feel that something that holds more than six rounds would be better.. Even with proper safety training and practice, if she needs it against someone, more rounds in the mag might be better..
Adrenaline, panic and avoidance of an attacker might require more than six shots with someone that hasn't trained for years..
But, it's up to what Mom likes. Right ? Self confidence is a BIG factor when carrying a handgun.. So... That means long hours in the gun range.. Gee, and her only son (me) will be there everytime..
Looks like I will just "have" to go to the range and help her.

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #13

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
Hey AH-1, You are correct. Marksman is very close. Have been there. As far as all advice given by all, do have to agree that revolvers might be a better choice at first. But yet, I really feel that something that holds more than six rounds would be better.. Even with proper safety training and practice, if she needs it against someone, more rounds in the mag might be better..
Adrenaline, panic and avoidance of an attacker might require more than six shots with someone that hasn't trained for years..
But, it's up to what Mom likes. Right ? Self confidence is a BIG factor when carrying a handgun.. So... That means long hours in the gun range.. Gee, and her only son (me) will be there everytime..
Some single stack 9mm compacts have only 5 to 7 round mags.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
Sounds like you have a reasonable handle on this. While more than six rounds make sense in most cases expect two or three rounds to be all that is needed to end a threat, it's not the number of shots as it is shot placement.

Good luck and again let us know what your Mom decides to pack.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

How about taking mom to a range that allows shooters to rent different kinds of guns and let her decide what she wants. What works for you, or me, won't necessarily work for anyone else. Small guns are not that easy to shoot for beginners and takes a bit more training and practice to do it well. I've trained many women who preferred full size 1911 .45 caliber pistols. The smallest firearm I'd recommend for self defense, 9mm or .38 spl. Once someone has mastered larger caliber weapons and decide they want something smaller, ok, but at least it is their informed decision, not someone else's.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 11-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
How about taking mom to a range that allows shooters to rent different kinds of guns and let her decide what she wants. What works for you, or me, won't necessarily work for anyone else. Small guns are not that easy to shoot for beginners and takes a bit more training and practice to do it well. I've trained many women who preferred full size 1911 .45 caliber pistols. The smallest firearm I'd recommend for self defense, 9mm or .38 spl. Once someone has mastered larger caliber weapons and decide they want something smaller, ok, but at least it is their informed decision, not someone else's.
I have to agree with pioneer461 100% about letting it be her choice of weapons. My wife stands 5'1" and would rather shoot my Sig 220 then my Sig P230 or the P239. Which really suprised me. Since that was one of the first handguns she ever shot, plus the fact that the P220 has a very large grip.
Yet like everyone else has posted here you really need to find a range that will rent handguns for her to try. No use in purchasing something that might feel good in her hands but can not control the recoil.
As far as it goes for weapons for her to choose always remember to "K.I.S.S." "Keep it Simple Stupid". Depending on the type of experience she had handling a handgun I would more then likely go with a revolver for her. There are many brands on the market at very good prices.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My gf has difficulty working the slide on most autos. We even tried the Tomcat which she loves to shoot but has difficulty opening/closing the barrel. Finally settled on a S&W M&P360 that she keeps loaded with 125 gr JHP +P's. She regularly practices with 125 or 130 gr ball ammo. She loves this revolver and is very proficient with it.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Does your mom already know how to shoot? If not, I suggest starting her out on something easy. A .22 is a great introductory gun. Then let her step up to a 9mm in a decent enough size that the recoil won't put her off.

Even if she already knows how to shoot, I would take everything I could to the range with her and let her shoot whatever she wants to try. Then rent other guns, if they're available. And, as was posted before, let her choose what she likes.

This article is about buying a gun for your wife, but it will have some useful tips for helping mom: Cornered Cat - Buying a Gun for Your Wife

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 11-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
Does your mom already know how to shoot? If not, I suggest starting her out on something easy. A .22 is a great introductory gun. Then let her step up to a 9mm in a decent enough size that the recoil won't put her off.

Even if she already knows how to shoot, I would take everything I could to the range with her and let her shoot whatever she wants to try. Then rent other guns, if they're available. And, as was posted before, let her choose what she likes.

This article is about buying a gun for your wife, but it will have some useful tips for helping mom: Cornered Cat - Buying a Gun for Your Wife
x2

if she doesn't have any trigger experience, she can learn the basics and tune her shooting skills with a .22, i picked one up for under $200 to teach friends/family how to shoot. once she masters the basics then she can start practicing with something more practical for self defense.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I started my 7yr old daughter off on an old S&W K-22 revolver and a Ruger 22/45. She learned the basic's on these and is now using a my Sig P239 in 9mm. She is having problems cycling the slide but I have been showing her how to push and pull in front of her. She has almost got it. But I can under stand how hard it is for some people to pull back the slide on a pistol.
Like I explained to her, you have to practice and practice untill you can do it. Good luck. Hope she gets bit by the bug my little one did. Now I can not get her off the range.