Pistol for my Mom
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pistol for my Mom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pistol for my Mom

Finally got my Mom convinced to get her permit to carry and a pistol !! So, now to have her try different models at the range.. I'm thinking something in .380 or 9mm. Single stack mag. Small but potent..
Any suggestions ?

Bersa, Taurus, Ruger... Hmm. So many to choose from..

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have her try everything. Don't forget the revolvers. Easy to load and fire, no slide to rack....just point and click!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Take her to a gun shop and show her different types of handguns, both revolvers and semi's. Have her handle them all. Check her hand strength to rack a slide. If she has problems with that, guide her towards revolvers.

Then if you can find a range that rents guns, have her try a bunch of them in a variety of different calibers.

.38 or 9mm is my personal minimum for self defense. You may feel differently, but the idea is to stop a threat, not anger it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The recoil on most .380s is just as much - and sometimes more than the same size 9mm guns. This is because most .380s are blowback action versus locked breech for the 9mm. I would also recommend looking at revolvers as they're simple point & shoot - with no slides to rack and safeties to operate...

Old 10-30-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes,
Find a range that rents and have your Mom shoot to see what fits her best. The pistol will be of no use unless she knows how to use it and is able to use it. Even after picking what fits her best she should practice shooting it. If she isn't willing to do this then your buying her a pistol to ease your own mind and not something she can use to defend herself.

I would suggest a snub nose S&W or the Ruger LCR 357, (she can shoot 38 spl rounds). I like semi auto's better but they require more training and expereince to make them an effective home defense pistol. Keep it simple and go with a wheel gun unless your Mom is willing to go to the range at least once a month. Even with a wheel gun she should go every couple of moths to honestly be able to use the pistol when needed.

Best of luck, let us know what your Mom eands up packing.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

All models are going to be tried. Semi's and revolvers.. My Mom is so fired up about this that she's going to get the permit first so she can carry it home then and there..(Wa. State) This is going to be great..After all, she's the one who let my Dad teach me to shoot at the age of 5..My turn to get another shooter hooked on the sport..

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 11-01-2009, 03:03 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I second the revolver. After she gets some practice and experience, then she could move to an auto if she desires.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There seems to be a train of thought that a woman should "start" with a revolver. My experience as an instructor has found this to be far from true. With new shooters who don't have their own gun, I supply the guns and ammo (for a small fee). I have never had a female student, or male for that matter, that after spending time with both types of handguns chose the revolver. Never!
Now I'm not trying to bash revolvers, I have my fair share of them and enjoy them all, but my experience points down the semi automatic trail. With instruction, and I'm not talking about the clerk at the store and the owners manual (as important as those can be), the semi automatic pistol is easier to become proficient with.
I have found that 9mm pistols usually are easier to rack the slide on. The models that have changeable grip inserts also seem popular with small handed shooters. I have found that even brand new shooters are "brand" conscious to some degree (i.e., Glock, Smith & Wesson, Colt). They may not know the products, but they have heard the name, and that can mean a lot for someone about to spend $500.
So, where am I going with this? Take a look at a Smith & Wesson, M&P Compact 9mm and for good measure look at one with a thumb safety. New shooters, especially female, seem to like safeties.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you can't go wrong with a ruger SP101 in 357 mag.start her out with some 38 special and work up to some 357's later.
there was a range I think it was the marksman?? not far away and you could rent handguns there.try her out with both auto and revolver "before" you buy.money well spent..
pete

life member DAV.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

Old 11-02-2009, 02:23 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default 357 mag for mamma???

I LOVE my SP101, but for for Mama? Not so sure....how about a CZ 75 Compact in 9 mm.?