Pistol flashlights - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pistol flashlights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

I use a Streamlight 160 lumens TLR-1s on my Glock 23. It's very quick to add/remove and it's not blindingly bright. I like that it's right there and handy to operate. And lightweight. I have used it on my AR but a higher output model might be better for that. 160 lumens seems a nice fit for a handgun.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Heard that argument before and I highly doubt it. Post some pics of this light and do a comparison of it next to a $100 name brand light like streamlight etc. I've got quite a few flashlights all the way from $5 throwaway ones to high end expensive ones. I don't see anything for $4 that even comes close in terms or brightness even to a $40 streamlight pro tac.....that was bought on amazon.
i have this same debate with other members as well. very hard to convince some that a $10 flashlight boasting some insane amount of lumens wasn't anywhere near what a $200 flashlight can do. i too have flashlights that range from inexpensive to expensive, and the cheaper ones can't compare in light output, regardless of what they claim.

flashlights are like scopes, you get what you pay for. and quality flashlights cost more.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1664 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I have some $30 lights that are just as durable and quite possibly brighter than the name brand lights. You can mount them on shotguns. I have a 1,000 lumen light that has been hunting, skeet shooting and treated rough in general. I have had the lights for over 3 years now. One mounted on the gun and two I carry in my pocket.

Police officers might use their lights more but I doubt they treat their lights rougher. Not many police officers put their flashlight in a sliding tray of a toolbox for a couple months at a time.

I doubt I would ever need a light inside the house. We have night lights and the outdoor security lighting shines in the windows. I know who is in the house. We get several years of use out of the lights that plug in an outlet to serve as a nightlight. When the power goes off they serve as a small flashlight. The nightlights last long enough that i can't remember when I last replaced them.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here is a great way to render your Glock useless.

You can turn your Ruger SR9 or P95 into something from the planet of the apes.

Last edited by John_Deer; 07-21-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Last but not least, for when you are not home.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #16

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I keep a Streamlight TLR3 on my HD pistol to back up my night sights, the TRL3 throws a very clear and crisp 125 lume pattern and cost about $70 so it won't make you bank account sad. If you are looking for a holster to pair with you weapon light you are pretty much limited to a fobos as they are universal. And if your wondering, yes 125 lume will blind the **** out of you.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #17

Liked 1123 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Heard that argument before and I highly doubt it. Post some pics of this light and do a comparison of it next to a $100 name brand light like streamlight etc. I've got quite a few flashlights all the way from $5 throwaway ones to high end expensive ones. I don't see anything for $4 that even comes close in terms or brightness even to a $40 streamlight pro tac.....that was bought on amazon.
I don't have a $100 light to compare it to but a friend does and his claim was that the $4 version was very close to the brightness of his $100 Surefire.

Here is the comparison I did do which shows it against a Maglite and a big box store cheap LED flashlight.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/tactical-flashlight-picture-thread-95621/index3.html#post1347160

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #18

Liked 385 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Separate flashlight. 1) That's what I learned with. And, 2) The idea of sweeping the area with a light and muzzle of my piece could lead to something unfortunate in a stress situation.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #19

Liked 389 Times on 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I don't have a $100 light to compare it to but a friend does and his claim was that the $4 version was very close to the brightness of his $100 Surefire.

Here is the comparison I did do which shows it against a Maglite and a big box store cheap LED flashlight.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f58/tactical-flashlight-picture-thread-95621/index3.html#post1347160
Yeah I just can't get on board with the $5 flashlights. To me, it just isn't worth my time and effort to even go buy one if the thing breaks. I'll buy one $100 flashlight, that I know will last forever, and I can trust, vs buying ten cheap ones. There are some great brands out there now for reasonable prices too. To me surefire is over priced for what you get. I have a $130 fenix tk11 that is better than offerings that surefire makes for $300. To each his own, but I treat all my gear the same. You get what you pay for. Years ago I bought a $600 dewalt miter saw. They had one at Harbor freight too for $100. Would the harbor freight one work? Sure. Would it still be cutting every single day at work ten years later? No way in hell.