Pistol flashlights
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Pistol flashlights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Default Pistol flashlights

You guys use? I'm gonna get one with a quick detach mount. Makes sense for home defense. Just curious how many people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Jimmy, it's pretty much a matter of personal preference as to whether the light is mounted to the pistol or not. i guess i'm old school and still go with a seperate light vs. a gun mounted one.

my suggestion would be to try it out and see if you like it mounted on your pistol and if it suits your needs. worse case scenario is, you don't like it and can just take it off of the pistol.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #3

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

I have one on one of my HD pistols (laser light combo). Looking back it was one of those purchases that I found was more of a "passing want" than "need". It looks cool but I've always had a nagging feeling that in the heat of the moment, I'm not going to be wasting time fumbling with a switch instead of my finger at quick ready by the trigger. BTW my switch is even right next to the trigger (Glocklight). This wouldn't apply if I were to turn it on and leave it on, but that's not how I roll. Personally a bright little stand-alone flashlight and some night sights is my preferred setup. Keeping it simple. As always with this forum this is just my personal opinion.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9394 Times on 5080 Posts
Likes Given: 19585

I had a flashlight on one of my shotguns and I loved it. I was constantly engaging vicious, feral opossums in the back yard. Those things are awful! Sadly, it did not survive the twelve gauge recoil. I don't know how you would get a handgun with a flashlight into a holster, but I suppose a dedicated nightstand gun would be great with a flashlight (as long as it isn't overpowered.) I never used the strobe option. That seemed ridiculous anyway. It only affects bad guys?

No offense and none taken

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 07-21-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I had a flashlight on one of my shotguns and I loved it. I was constantly engaging vicious, feral opossums in the back yard. Those things are awful! Sadly, it did not survive the twelve gauge recoil. I don't know how you would get a handgun with a flashlight into a holster, but I suppose a dictated nightstand gun would be great with a flashlight (as long as it isn't overpowered.) I never used the strobe option. That seemed ridiculous anyway. It only affects bad guys?

if i'm not mistaken, they do make holsters for some pistols with a light or laser. but i think the selection is limited to certain models of pistols.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 AM   #6

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I have a $4 amazon LED flashlight that's as bright as a $100 brand name light. It's not designed to be mounted and I wouldn't even if it was because recoil can cause havoc on lights.

Also you can use a flashlight for more than just home defense but I hope a gun mounted light is only pointed at things you want to destroy.

Last edited by Yunus; 07-21-2014 at 01:01 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #7

Liked 576 Times on 341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I have a $4 amazon LED flashlight that's as bright as a $100 brand name light.
Heard that argument before and I highly doubt it. Post some pics of this light and do a comparison of it next to a $100 name brand light like streamlight etc. I've got quite a few flashlights all the way from $5 throwaway ones to high end expensive ones. I don't see anything for $4 that even comes close in terms or brightness even to a $40 streamlight pro tac.....that was bought on amazon.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
I have one on one of my HD pistols (laser light combo). Looking back it was one of those purchases that I found was more of a "passing want" than "need". It looks cool but I've always had a nagging feeling that in the heat of the moment, I'm not going to be wasting time fumbling with a switch instead of my finger at quick ready by the trigger. BTW my switch is even right next to the trigger (Glocklight). This wouldn't apply if I were to turn it on and leave it on, but that's not how I roll. Personally a bright little stand-alone flashlight and some night sights is my preferred setup. Keeping it simple. As always with this forum this is just my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
Jimmy, it's pretty much a matter of personal preference as to whether the light is mounted to the pistol or not. i guess i'm old school and still go with a seperate light vs. a gun mounted one.

my suggestion would be to try it out and see if you like it mounted on your pistol and if it suits your needs. worse case scenario is, you don't like it and can just take it off of the pistol.
I use a seperate handheld too. I keep a streamlight protac by the bed with the handgun. I have more expensive better quality lights, but this one has only one setting....high. That way, I don't accidentally double tap into low mode when all I want to do is turn a dark room into daylight. Its around 200 lumens which is plenty bright to blind the bejesus out of a bg. My bedside gun is a gp100 in .357 so I don't have a way to mount a light on it anyway. Btw, inforce is making some killer pistol mounted lights. High quality and reasonable prices.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 05:03 AM   #9
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9394 Times on 5080 Posts
Likes Given: 19585

A high powered light will blind you too in the middle of the night.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
A high powered light will blind you too in the middle of the night.

So would turning on a light. I need to be able to identify a target. Yeah, I would definetly lose some night vision for sure, but the beam is pretty focused, so it's not as bad as you'd think. It's the a good amount of brightness should that type of situation arise. Not perfect but any of my other lights are either much brighter, or you have to cycle settings.
MisterMcCool Likes This