Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pistol Cleaning - Jag or Loop on Cleaning Rod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only time I use a Boresnake at all is for rimfires, and that's the ONLY way I clean a rimfire bore.....without any solvent, oil, or anything.

And how many rounds do you think you'll go through at your range sessions?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5470 Times on 2857 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf109 View Post
Thanks much for your quick response. I'll pick up a jag for 12" rod for pistol and a loop tip for my rifles later.

BTW, do you find the BoreSnake handy at the range? For quick cleaning, can I just the Snake at range? Is it an effective way of cleaning?

Not sure if I want to use solvent with the Snake but may use gun oil.

What's your experience? Thanks again.
an oil soaked bore snake is fantastic for very longterm storage.

a solvent soaked snake is better than sliced bread for severly copper fouled barrels soak it down run it into the barrel leave it and let it sit.

i use a clean snake soaked in oil to oil the barrels of my rifles for the winter. they sit for nearly 4 months before i start usig them again in the spring. but i got quite a few rifles

with that many barrels to keep rust free a few clean snakes are invaluble for quick maintenece. i dont have to mess around continously soaking patches to get em all oiled. i dont have to take em apart removing bolts etc to get em oiled.

they arent much good for actually cleaning.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2067 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 747

Once I discovered bore snakes, I never used a jag or loop again.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #14

...I store bore snakes in the WIDE MOUTH flavored water bottles you buy just about any where. That way they don't smell up the range-bag. Don't forget BORE-SNAKES can be washed and hung out on the clothes line when they get dirty. MAGIC MARKER on the labels of the bottles tell me just what caliber is in the bottles, as I usually go to the range with multiple caliber guns.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #15

...snake is very handy at the range. I use oil at the rear and solvent at the front of the snake. I also store my snakes in a flavored water bottle (which has been washed and cleand-the big mouth type at Walmart). By storing in these bottles your tote bag doesn't smell and your snake stays clean and untangled in your range bag. I turn the label upside down and REtape it to the bottle. That gives me a nice white surface to mark 30-30 or 22LR etc, making it easy to find which snake I'm looking for. The bottles never leave my range bag. Snakes can be washed as neccesary with dish soap (very good degreaser), let air dryand return to bottle.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I've read a lot of posts on other forums about the jag vs patch. Seems to be about evenly divided. I've only used patches & a brush. I decided to give the jag a try. Grabbed one off the shelf at my favorite gun store & the guy at the counter said he didn't think it was an advantage, so I put it back, saving $5.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I've read a lot of posts on other forums about the jag vs patch. Seems to be about evenly divided. I've only used patches & a brush. I decided to give the jag a try. Grabbed one off the shelf at my favorite gun store & the guy at the counter said he didn't think it was an advantage, so I put it back, saving $5.
Same with me, lay a wet patch over the end of a bore brush followed by dry patches over the bore brush.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I use a caliber-specific jag only, never the traditional patch holder. As previously pointed out, with a regular loop patch holder you are running a dirty patch back and forth through your barrel. Also, the sides of the patch holder are making contact with the inside surface of your barrel while doing this. You need to push the patch through the barrel one time in one direction.

I shoot copper jacket bullets only. I use copper solvents such as Sweets 7.62 and it works very well, but I have actually gotten the best cleaning results from a foaming bore cleaner called Wipe Out. After cleaning the barrel the regular way with a copper solvent I sometimes use the Wipe Out also. I fill the barrel with it and let it sit for about three hours. I was surprised at home much additional fouling was removed and this product does not harm the metal. I have been told that some people let the copper solvents sit in their barrels for extended periods of time but I have also been told that this can cause pitting in the barrel.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 01-05-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 834 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Sorry for the stupid questions...

Leaving pads soaking in cleaner, is it difficult to separate them?

How do you put the pad on a jag? Is there a double secret wrapping formula?

Is a bore snake better wet or barely damp?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #20

I usually take a bore snake in my bag. I use it immediately after shooting a pistol or revolver. I usually take three weapons to the range with me and as I put a gun back in the range bag I snake the bore from the chamber to the front. I clean the whole gun later. I go target shooting once a week.