Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Pistol Cartridge Standardization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Pistol Cartridge Standardization

A tangent from one of my rifle threads, where I want to stick with 3 rifle cartridges.

I currently have pistols in 9mm, .45acp, and .357 (.38SP +P). My future plans are to add a .22LR pistol, and a rifle/carbine for one of my pistol cartridges. The .22LR pistol will be used for a lot of shooting and training, mostly for the children to learn the basics and get comfortable.

I would like to drop one of the handgun cartridges I currently use, but then again, I'm trying to talk myself out of it. I rarely shot the .357, but that is my bear repellent. I do prefer the .45 over the 9mm but I'm not the only shooter in my household and the .45 is a little too much for others. The 9mm seems to be the best all around.

I'm totally overthinking this

J

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would say that what you have listed is fine, I know allot of people with too many different calibers. I like sticking with 4 or 5 just so I can focus on finding ammo for them.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Only thing I can think is if you get a 9mm or .45 revolver.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1126 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 648

get rid of the .357 and get a ruger convertible revolver. it shoots 9mm/38sp/.357. also add the .22 pistol and rifle. .22 ammo is the cheapest to play with. if the need arises sell the 45(unless its a 1911)

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Joseph,

I am not going to be much help when dropping a caliber. I would say do not! Every Time I have done that in the past I have regretted it! The 357 with the versatility of shooting 38 SPC. And even less expensive wad cutters which would be a good round also for them to learn to shoot later on. Not to mention I assume your 9mm is a semi-auto pistol while your 357 is a revolver. So what I am saying they would be learning more about various weapons. Regarding the 22 issue. I would suggest a good quality semi-auto pistol like one of the Ruger 22 Pistols or for example the Browning Buckmark. There are other good 22 target type pistols. Why target type? So they gain confidence being able to hit what they are shooting at. As far as a 22 Rifle I would suggest a Ruger 10-22 as a great rifle for children. But I would start them off using the iron sights then graduate them to a 1" Tube Scope in the future. I said 1" because they let a lot more light in. Have a clearer view and easier to sight through.

i

i

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5459 Times on 3097 Posts
Likes Given: 4738

If you have 5.56X45, 9MM NATO and .22 LR, you're good to go.
If shotguns are appropriate in your circumstances, a good 20 ga. gas operated semi-auto is effective, and can be easily handled by any family member.

Those are effective, inexpensive and available anywhere in the world.

If you need bear protection, professional grade pepper spray is more effective than any handgun.

Golda Meier.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yeah, I think I was over thinking it. With both rifles and pistols I want to maximize my ammunition purchases, getting the most for my money and having the most versatility. On the rifle side, for example, I'd rather get a bolt gun chambered for .223 Remington, a cartridge that I also use in my semi-automatic rifle than get another mid range center fire like a 22-250 or .270. Three rifle cartridges 22LR, 223, & 308 seems to round it out pretty well.

I suppose having 3 pistol cartridges isn't over doing it. Just like you can't leave the 9/16 wrench out of the toolbox, you want to keep the firearms that do the job you want it to do. Sure, I could live without the .45 or the .357, but I don't want to. I suppose that is what counts. So, after thinking about it for a while and considering the input from this forum, I think I'll keep them all.

That Ruger convertible sounds interesting, but I doubt I'd replace the current revolver with a single action. It would be pretty far down on the priority list but I could see a place for it in the safe.

Thanks,
J

Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5459 Times on 3097 Posts
Likes Given: 4738

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD View Post
Yeah, I think I was over thinking it. With both rifles and pistols I want to maximize my ammunition purchases, getting the most for my money

Thanks,
J
Wise decision, IMHO. If you have a good stock of .22 LR, .223 and 9MM you'll have it covered, even if you have smaller stocks of the other calibers.

Golda Meier.