Which pistol caliber is best for home defense in an urban enviroment?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Which pistol caliber is best for home defense in an urban enviroment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default Which pistol caliber is best for home defense in an urban enviroment?

40 s&w, 45 acp, or 9mm? Also how many rounds should it hold? it will be by my bedside at all times so it will also serve as my get up and go emergency pistol to get to point a to point b if an emergency like a hurricane or something were to happen so what size should it be? A Full duty size? Compact? Sub compact? i live in condo/apartment kinda house. All of my neighbors houses are connected from left to right if i where to cut a hole in the dry wall id probably be able to see my neighbors. the walls are not thick at all. i do not want to over penetrate, which pistol caliber would be best to use? Right now im thinking a 45 acp with hollow point ammo so atleast the bullet will open up and slow down on contact. My primary would be a 12 guage loaded with.. Im not sure yet haha but can anyone share some input or advice? Please and thank you!

Last edited by hq357; 03-05-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

Liked 218 Times on 143 Posts

If there are 20 posters in this thread you will likely get 25 different answers and a couple will say 12 ga. even though you specified pistol.

I have several chambered in .40 but you have to decide what is best for you after researching. Good Luck.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21219 Times on 12050 Posts
Likes Given: 52970

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
40 s&w, 45 acp, or 9mm? Also how many rounds should it hold? it will be by my bedside at all times so it will also serve as my get up and go emergency pistol to get to point a to point b if an emergency like a hurricane or something were to happen so what size should it be? A Full duty size? Compact? Sub compact? i live in condo/apartment kinda house. All of my neighbors houses are connected from left to right if i where to cut a hole in the dry wall id probably be able to see my neighbors. the walls are not thick at all. i do not want to over penetrate, which pistol caliber would be best to use? Right now im thinking a 45 acp with hollow point ammo so atleast the bullet will open up and slow down on contact. My primary would be a 12 guage loaded with.. Im not sure yet haha but can anyone share some input or advice? Please and thank you!
you do know you are going to get at least a hundred different answers and suggestions on this?

my personal suggestion would be a shotgun if over penatration is a concern. a pump with an 18-20" barrel loaded with heavy birdshot. it's my personal choice. highly doubtful that any shot would be over 30' in your apartment. at that distance, it would do lots of damage to a BG, but still not be of concern of over penetration.

there will be those who will flame on me for this choice, and say only buckshot is good enough and birdshot isn't. well let them flame! i have done my own informal tests at 30 feet and have found that #4 birdshot will penetrate 1/2" plywood, drywall and even the steel in a cars quarter panel. usually about a 6-8" shot spread at that distance.

but you need to make your own decision. this is just my suggestion and thoughts. if you are interested, i can provide more details.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Look at the website "the box o truth". There was a lot if time spent on that site testing rounds for penetration through dry wall.

Hollow points need fluid forced into the cavity to reliably expand. They don't perform the same way on drywall.

As far as 9 vs. .40, vs. .45 goes, they are all just handgun rounds. None are GREAT stoppers. Modern ammo tends to make them pretty close in performance. Not exactly the same but close. Pick a caliber you shoot well and can find ammo for.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #5

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
you do know you are going to get at least a hundred different answers and suggestions on this?

my personal suggestion would be a shotgun if over penatration is a concern. a pump with an 18-20" barrel loaded with heavy birdshot. it's my personal choice. highly doubtful that any shot would be over 30' in your apartment. at that distance, it would do lots of damage to a BG, but still not be of concern of over penetration.

there will be those who will flame on me for this choice, and say only buckshot is good enough and birdshot isn't. well let them flame! i have done my own informal tests at 30 feet and have found that #4 birdshot will penetrate 1/2" plywood, drywall and even the steel in a cars quarter panel. usually about a 6-8" shot spread at that distance.

but you need to make your own decision. this is just my suggestion and thoughts. if you are interested, i can provide more details.
Thanx Axxe

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Liked 1798 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

The best round for home defense is the one that you can shoot acurately. If you try to use a 40 but cant hit anything but the wall behind the perp you would have been better off with a 22. Find a gun that you can handle. If you can shoot a 9 inch paper plate at living room distances then you are good to go. If you ever have to pull the trigger for real, aim for the center of the chest and pray that God is with you.

Too many people get in the 9mm vs 40 vs 45 fight. Just find a gun that you can shoot. Then practice, pratice, practice. Then practice some more.

I like a full sized gun for the night stand. If you dont need to conceal it a big gun is much easier to control. The heavier the better with big calibers.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5501 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

best round is one chambered in a gun that you are proficient with, can hit the target easily, and is as close to 100% reliable as can be made.

i would suggest going and renting some guns at a range even if it means a drive to get there. taking a day trip to rent a selection of guns is cheaper than buying guns at random until you find one you like.

my wife and i choose for our main defensive firearm in the home are: bravo company mid length carbine, for handguns we use springfield XDM in 45 and 9mm and berreta m9A1 in 9mm. we also have a 12ga shotgun handy loaded with 00buck.

birdshot even at close range isnt that effective on goblins. minimum size shot for defense is BB shot. 00buck 2-3/4 is the gold standard round for goblin stopping.

what i pick and what my wife picks is going to be different than what you pick so picking my choices without you trying things out yourself is pointless but it does give you a starting point.

the first tenant of self defense is: HAVE A GUN!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #8

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

1 1/8 ounces of 7 1/2 shot at 30 feet is very deadly. I don't really think any thin skinned critter like a human will survive it. The bird shot is not likely to go thru other walls.

Last edited by nitestalker; 03-05-2013 at 02:01 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If your walls are that thin and you are that close perhaps a paintball gun would be best. Seriously, you need to be very careful as you certainly don't want to put a round through the BG and then have it take out the person in the room nextdoor.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

As was stated above pick a caliber and gun you are comfortable and proficient with. Get frangible ammo and make sure it cycles reliably and practice.

I don't need No stinking signature.