Picking a gun. Help/suggestions. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Picking a gun. Help/suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

There are many good handguns on the market, S&W, Glock, Springfield Armory, etc but I really do like and recommend the Sig Sauer P226. It is top quality and shoots like it is an extension of your arm. The Navy Seals used them along with many European law enforcement agencies.

Kevin M
NRA Member
How to get a girl

Old 11-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If you like the Gl*cks, check out Springfield's XDs.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #13

The 1911 is really one of the best handguns on the market. They also reflect that in the price. If you could afford it I would hands down get a 1911. They also have the badass factor . If you are looking at the polymer guns in the 4-600 range. Glock or Springfield XD is probably your best bet.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #14

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

If you shot both and do not find the 1911 trigger worth the extra money, yea, you'll be happy with the brick.
Well Stated !!!!

Jim

Old 11-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Another vote for trying out an XD. I have the XD45 and like it, especially the comfort of the grip. I would seriously suggest you try to rent or borrow (under supervision) a few more pistols to get a better idea of what you like best. Have you considered a revolver?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #16

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
If you like the Gl*cks, check out Springfield's XDs.
+1 on that, I've owned a few Glocks and then bought an
XD45. I don't have Glocks any more as a result. The Glock grip angle always felt unnatural to me, the Springfield has two safety systems to Glock's one, and IMO, the Springfield was much more accurate. I don't like the long trigger pull because I'm used to shooting 1911s now, but there is a trigger kit available from SA that can help with that.

But for not much more than you pay for your Glock.....you COULD have a 1911. The Taurus 1911 is pretty darned good for the money, and only about $100-200 more.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

If you shot both and do not find the 1911 trigger worth the extra money, yea, you'll be happy with the brick.
So I should pay almost twice the money because of the trigger...? Look, I have no problem with the 1911, it was a nice gun, I just liked the feel of the Glock better, and it's so much simpler to clean/take apart. Also, I won't even have enough money to buy the 1911. I will look into the XD, idk anything about it, and the reason I was looking at a Kahr is because it's cheap, and my 2 best friends don't have one, we will all let each other shoot each others guns, so I kiiiinda want to get a gun that neither of them have.

I don't know of any places that rents guns around here, so I can't do that, and I only know a couple of people that own guns. So I don't really have any way of using other guns, unless I go up to some random person at the gun range and ask if I can use theirs, and I'm not the type of person that would come up to someone and ask that.

I also never even looked at ammo, I still think I'll get a .40+, but like some of you have said, it's an addiction lol. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if I bought another gun, probably 9mm for cheapness after my next-next check.

To whoever mentioned a revolver, I don't really want one right now, I was looking at some (not sure what kind, like I said idk much about guns) and I could see myself getting one in the future. Just not right now. The .454 that I shot was ridiculous, almost hit myself in the face from the recoil lol.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

First handgun, sub-1911 category...here's my thoughts:

Take a long look at the Sig p220 (.45acp) and p226 (9mm, 357sig, or 40sw). They're full-sized pistols, but relatively lightweight and compact. Both can be purchased through Sig's 22lr-to-centerfire conversion program, where you'll end up with a gun that can also fire ultra cheap 22lr ammo. These are a little spendier than Glock. If you get both the 22lr and centerfire, you're looking at an inverstment in the neighborhood of $900 ($750+ for centerfire only). But these are fine pistols for experienced or beginning shooters alike. Also durable and great resale value.

If you like the Glock, it's a solid purchase. It won't let you down. But before buying a Glock you should give SpringXD and SW M&P a try. Maybe the Glock is for you, but these are two similar platforms that should be explored in order to make an informed decision.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #19

I just bought a Smith&Wesson M&P .45 and I couldn't be happier. I love the 1911, but the M&P is much easier to shoot. You can see pics and my range report here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/new-gun-19912/ this was the second time I ever shot a handgun, and the first time with this gun.

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Old 11-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I might have missed it, but are you going to be carrying?...if so consider the Glock 30 instead of the Glock 21.

Also Springfield XD & XDm series pistols, as well as Smith & Wesson M&P pistol are other good choices in the polymer, striker-fired arena.

I agree with others that the Sig Sauer pistols are very good, and if the pirce point is a little high you might look for a used P220 or P226. They have been around a long time, and while there have been some improvements even the oldest ones are still good firearms if they are in good repair.

There is also the classic wheel-gun if you really don't mind trying something different. My recommendation would be a Smith revolver in .357 Magnum. Check out Model 65, 66, & 686. Again, these have been around forever and you can luck into a fair deal searching for a used piece.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill