Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Picking a gun. Help/suggestions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Picking a gun. Help/suggestions.

Ok, I've VERY new into guns. 3 of my best friends have recently bought guns, a couple shotguns, and a couple handguns. Today I went shooting with them, shot a 1911, and a Glock 23. I liked both of them, and I'm thinking on Black Friday I'm going to a gun store and buying a gun. I'm not going to spend a lot of money, so the 1911 is out of the question, plus I liked the Glock better anyway. So after shooting, we went to Scheels and looked at guns. And I'm leaning towards the Glock 21, I kinda want a .45, but a .40 is fine. And I've also been looking at a Kahr CW40. So basically I just want some input on those guns, maybe other guns that are similar and in the same price range. I'd be using this gun for home protection mostly I guess, and just to shoot and have fun. And then of course I gotta be prepared for the zombie apocalypse

And I'm really loving guns right now. And I could definitely see myself becoming somewhat of a collector, will probably buy a rifle or shotgun in the somewhat near future as well.

Thanks for any help I get.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2009, 03:42 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Day V, drop by the Intro and tell the membership a little about yourself when you get the chance.

Personally, I like a weapon with a steel frame if I'm going with larger calibers like the .40 Smith and the .45ACP.

I did buy a Taurus 24/7 Pro in 9mm and although I have had no issues with the weapon, there are better choices out there.

I would recommend Nighthawk, Springfield and Colt in 1911 .45ACP.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-09-2009 at 03:49 AM.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

He likes the glock better than the 1911, rofl!!!

After being here a while you'll see why that is hiularious. PErsonally, I have no problem with that, to each their own. My dad prefers the 9mm to the 45 for his own reasons, Bill likes his coffee black and Sam doesn't etc...

Welcome to the firearms addiction. Gather as much information as you can and make your own decisions.We're here to help any way we can. I'd suggest looking at the springfield xd's as well!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Of the Khar and the glock I would go with the glock. They are known to run forever. I don't like them myself but I know plenty of people that stake their lives on them every day all day. I don't know much about the Khar because I have never shot one. I would also look at the Springfield xD series of pistols. I shot one that a buddy own's and I feel that the ergonomics are head and shoulders above the Glock. If I were to buy a Tupperware pistol It would be the xD in either 40 or 45.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #5

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I would also look at the Springfield xD series of pistols. I shot one that a buddy own's and I feel that the ergonomics are head and shoulders above the Glock. If I were to buy a Tupperware pistol It would be the xD in either 40 or 45.
+1 - Definitely try the XD. Find a range that rents guns so you can get a real idea of how each one performs and the way it fits you. As said above, welcome to the addiction.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #6

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Also, try the S&W M&P, similar price range as the Glocks and xD....like someone else said find a range/gun shop that rents then try as many as you can and see what feels right in your hand....another thing to think about is the cost of ammo, 9mm is going to be cheaper to shoot than .40 or .45

Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5454 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

you might think about looking at one that has a conversion to .22LR available. cheap ammo alows you to practice a lot with your gun without having to always use pricey ammo. might add SIG SAUER P220 to your list they are hands down better than glocks and XD's and only second to a 1911.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #8

I think the 9mm is the best all around round. Its extremely cheap to shoot 1/2 the price of .45 ammo just about. You can also get pretty powerful personal protection rounds to carry. Just sayin, im a fan of 9mm. The .45 is a great round just too expensive for me, as I do enjoy going and shooting on a regular basis.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #9

OK I may still be a newbie but I have done this recently and will share my experience. I spent about 3 months researching which handgun to buy. Lurking on several forums, asking questions, like this one. Then I went to a large gun store and tried them out for hand feel but didn't shoot any. They didn't rent the ones I liked. I finally decided on a Springfield Armory XD45acp 4" Black Service w/Thumb Safety. Researched the best price on-line, found a local FFL and ordered one for about $100 less then the local shop. Researched where to get ammo and bought about 1000 rds.
Went to my local indoor range with an X Sheriff friend of mine and ran through about 300 rds. Loved, loved loved it. Then I started thinking 300 rds that about $150 (Non Wally world prices) maybe I should buy a gun with cheaper ammo. Hence the CZ 82 Makarov 9mm 300 rds only $60, I can shoot 2-3 times as often. Now an opportunity to get a XD 9mm at a great price comes around guess what now I have three guns because I can shoot the XD9 for about the same price as the CZ. By now I've been to a few different ranges both indoor and out and have shoot around 1300 rds of various ammo but am still craving more, much more. Again the Neos! Now I can shoot a brick of 500 for the price of a Box of 9 or a Mag of 45.
Yes I'm an addict, I cant get enough. Maybe I need a 12 step program, oops really I think I need a 12 gun program, yea that's it a 12 gun program.....

Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day V View Post
I'm not going to spend a lot of money, so the 1911 is out of the question, plus I liked the Glock better anyway.

If you shot both and do not find the 1911 trigger worth the extra money, yea, you'll be happy with the brick.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello