Picked this up today - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Picked this up today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 04:16 AM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2232 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

The only problem I've had in the 6 hours I've owned it...

My busted arm is still very weak. In the shop, my grip slipped on the gun and the slide bit me. First time in 16 years of shooting I've had a gun draw blood.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 02-12-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I was just going to ask about your arm.

Maybe you should send that lil puppy to me to break in.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I was just going to ask about your arm.

Maybe you should send that lil puppy to me to break in.
If I can get the bullets in the magazine, I'll manage.

But the really good news is yesterday I scratched my nose with my left hand for the first time in 4 weeks.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new toy. I have a lot of handguns yet my daily carry is a .380 as well. I'll be interested to hear how it performs...

Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Pretty neat little gun!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Range Report

Took it to the range and put 200 rounds through the gun. The first 100 were pretty much a function check. Point it downrange somewhere near the paper and pull the trigger. The next 100 were fired for accuracy.

No problems in gun function at all. It went bang every time.

The thin little gun is not a range gun at all. I set out to shoot 200. I would have preferred to stop at 100. It really cuts into the webbing of the hand. I should look into getting some gloves.

Accuracy is as good as I could expect (particularly with a bad arm right now). It will consistently put rounds in the black at 10 yards. I found I was more accurate shooting the iron sights as compared to the laser. The laser wasn't off. It sat right on top of the front sight. Accuracy dropped as soon as I stopped using the iron sights, my grip became inconsistent. Strange how those things work together.

After shooting 106 rounds, I turned on the laser... nothing... no dot. First thought was "crap... how could you not construct this thing to withstand recoil." I kept playing with it until I noticed the laser was coming on, but it was very dim. Finally figured out that 106 rounds gets the front of the gun very dirty. Wiped off the laser lens and voila.

The gun showed me that a laser while likely helpful in an unorthodox shooting situation, is not a substitute for iron sights (this is the first gun I've had with a laser). Even so, considering this will be my primary carry gun; I'm glad I have the laser on it.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:
Join the NRA

Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1245 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I have been looking at those as a nice pocket carry. I saw the Gander sale and have been told by a local retail outlet that S&W was going to drop the price pretty drastically because they have not met expected sales. Maybe the Gander deal is the first hint of that.

Let us know how you like it at the range.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
I have been looking at those as a nice pocket carry. I saw the Gander sale and have been told by a local retail outlet that S&W was going to drop the price pretty drastically because they have not met expected sales. Maybe the Gander deal is the first hint of that.
I bought it at Gander Mountain for $379. At that price, I think it's the best deal going on a sub-compact gun. They must be moving now, because I can't find them online, my regular gun shop can't get them. I got the last one in the store. They're just completely sold out. The "sale" price is actually in line with S&W's new list price. In fact one of the sales guys last night mentioned the sale is really just 20 below S&W's new list price.

It will be pocket carry. The thin profile will make it very good for that purpose.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:
Join the NRA

Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Well after much research and gratuitous fondling of hardware, I settled on the S&W Bodyguard 380 for my next addition to the collection. This will be my daily carry piece. I kept debating about a sub-compact 9, but I knew I needed a firearm that was going to be just as natural to carry as my pocket knife. The 9's just weren't quite making it. But that means I still have to add a 9 in the future.

Just picked it up after work. I'll try to get to the range this weekend.
When you start looking at 9mm's, take a look at the Kahr CW9. I use it as my EDC, and am really happy with it, carrying, and at the range.
It only weighs about 17oz's, and is less than 1" wide.

img_0051.jpg