Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Phoenix HP22A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Phoenix HP22A

I had read some mixed reviews on these but decided to check one out as a possibility for my daughter as they are small, have little to no recoil and a light trigger.
Wind up buying one in nickel finish for a whopping $133. Pleasantly surprised with it. It is fairly reliable and very accurate. It's about the same size as a Ruger LCP but more than twice the weight. Still, 20 oz is not a big deal to hold and the excess weight helps with the recoil. It comes with a 3 in barrel but you can buy an additional 5 inch barrel with extended magazine as a kit--found one (new) for 25 bucks. Manual calls for standard velocity 22lr only, many people online state that they use HV with no issues HOWEVER some who have tried to use this as a carry weapon have used hyper-V which has caused cracking problems. I've put about 300 rounds through this at range using CCI std and have had about 5 FTFs (generally ejection brass getting stuck). Other unusual feature is the dual safety system which takes some getting used to but not a big deal.
Overall, a nice little gun and not much risk in trying one out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

That is a nice practice gun. Congrats.

But, I have to ask, would you allow her to get into a penned in area with a 100# wild hog and have that firearm as her only means of defending herself?
A 100# hog could be just as dangerous as a 200# person.

IMO, there are other calibers that are better suited for self defense than the .22.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 09-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Not for self defense---she's only 11

Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #4

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started my son with a 22lr brake action rifle. He can shoot my 22lr pistols walter p22 but he's still a bit schecy about keeping it pointed down range so mabey next year

Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Wish I had done that..started her with a Ruger SR22 and she was afraid of it. Bought her a Cricket single shot bolt action rifle which she loved. She can hit a dime with it at 25 yards. She also has a Mossberg Plinlster Bantam but still likes her Cricket best. I was trying to get her more comfortable with a pistol with the HP22a.