Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #41
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Let's face it. The minimum we should all be carrying in grizzly country is a mini-gun.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #42
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

A guide has to protect his client and that can mean getting between the hunter and a wounded very P O bear. I knew a couple that were carrying African double rifles and one that carried a 10 gauge double. The 458 Winchester Mag became very popular when it came out.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Is there a conversion barrel/kit to get his glock up to 10mm?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooley6960 View Post
Also revolvers hold 5/6 rounds auto pistols 13/17 pack of starving wolves 5/6 hope you are a heck of a good shot
When was the last time I read an article about a person being attacked by a pack of starving wolves? Can't say I ever have. Plenty of movies about these kinds of things, but in real life, not many stories that have been proven. As for 17 rounds of 9mm in a bear, especially a Brown/Grizzly; as most articles state: Unless you hit the central nervous system or heart, good luck stopping it. I've read plenty of stories about people on drugs that don't stop after a half a dozen 9mm rounds; that is why a lot of people including police like the 45acp or 40S&W, more energy. What's the FBI carry gun The TRP Professional 45, what do most police carry now, 40S&W. They're using these to stop humans, not creatures that way 1000 pounds or better. Me, I carry my 1911 with 8+1 shot capacity with an extra 8 and also bring the 44 mag when in big bear country, sometimes the 460V.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #45

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Let's face it. The minimum we should all be carrying in grizzly country is a mini-gun.
With a attached grenade launcher

Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #46

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooley6960 View Post
Hydro shock ammo will stop about anything even bears
I haven't read articles anywhere that say Hydro Shok will stop just about anything. In fact most articles will tell you that hollow points are not the ammo of choice when confronting heavy skinned furry animals. Expansion will be lost when plugged with fur and thick skin. You need something that will penetrate that coat. Round tip FMJ, some suggest Hard Cast and some say that the Leverevolution FTX tip by Hornady would probably work. It's not the same as the regular Flex Tip they have, this is a big pointy plastic tip that prevents the plugging of the hollow point that surrounds it, and the tapered tip penetrates better and cuts through the air better. It's available for revolvers in 357Mag 140g, 45LC 225g, 44Mag 225g & 460Mag 200g.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #47

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I gotta think Hossfly is on the right track; look for a black-market M79 and some sabot/canister rounds in 40mm. They always served me well! Better yet, put that bell on your pack, maybe two or three just to be sure, and DON'T have the confrontation! Keep your .40 for coyotes if they get close. As for wolves, the records of actual wolf attacks on humans is pretty bare, they don't like us even though they will keep us under surveillance. Like in any human/wild animal interaction; you are in their territory, be a good guest and don't look for trouble.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Glockaholics, is there a way to up his .40 to handle the more potent 10mm round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
...you are in their territory, be a good guest and don't look for trouble.
The ownership of this territory is subject to debate; i've never seen a coyote with a lease/deed.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #49

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkowitz

When was the last time I read an article about a person being attacked by a pack of starving wolves? Can't say I ever have. Plenty of movies about these kinds of things, but in real life, not many stories that have been proven. As for 17 rounds of 9mm in a bear, especially a Brown/Grizzly; as most articles state: Unless you hit the central nervous system or heart, good luck stopping it. I've read plenty of stories about people on drugs that don't stop after a half a dozen 9mm rounds; that is why a lot of people including police like the 45acp or 40S&W, more energy. What's the FBI carry gun The TRP Professional 45, what do most police carry now, 40S&W. They're using these to stop humans, not creatures that way 1000 pounds or better. Me, I carry my 1911 with 8+1 shot capacity with an extra 8 and also bring the 44 mag when in big bear country, sometimes the 460V.
Well everyone is just a subject matter expert aren't they. And yes we carry 40 s&w and I've never heard any other police officer complain about it. This is just one of those never ending convorsations. You can kill anything with a 22 but is it preferred .... No I just told the original poster that if all he has is his 40 than down worry it can handle it. And I have been attacked by a wolf bub so don't try and act smart and I live eny Ohio where "wolf do not live "

Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #50

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
they don't like us even though they will keep us under surveillance. Like in any human/wild animal interaction; you are in their territory, be a good guest and don't look for trouble.
Wherever you are in life, even within human (or so-called human) territory, it is always to your advantage to follow those parameters.