Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969

Please tell us how many large game animals you have shot, I'm talking bear, moose, mule deer, elk, etc.
I've Tagged out every year whitetail and have taken a lot of with crop damage tags and I've used my 9mm during crop damage.but your completely on another conversation look up the ballistics they are not that much different. I'm comfortable with the 9mm if you like something else more power to you but a little more velocity and energy isn't really worth carrying 1/3 the rounds plus take into a count reload speed and ease of carrying extra mags

Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #32

Thank you ScottA

Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #33
JTJ

Liked 1244 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

All very good but you are talking deer not bears. In Alaska on large bears a 44mag is minimum. A 454 Casull is prefered. The barrels are short because you wont have time to clear leather with a long barrel. For black bear the 44mag will work and the preferred load is a 300 grain hard cast solid. A charging bear can hit 30 mph. Do you really think you can draw and shoot accurately that fast? Hiking in Alaska I usually carried a 12 gauge loaded with Brenneke slugs and I carried it in my hand, no sling.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #34

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
All very good but you are talking deer not bears. In Alaska on large bears a 44mag is minimum. A 454 Casull is prefered. The barrels are short because you wont have time to clear leather with a long barrel. For black bear the 44mag will work and the preferred load is a 300 grain hard cast solid. A charging bear can hit 30 mph. Do you really think you can draw and shoot accurately that fast? Hiking in Alaska I usually carried a 12 gauge loaded with Brenneke slugs and I carried it in my hand, no sling.
I'm not disputing the fact that a 44 mag would have more affect on the animal, like you said do " do you really thing you can draw and shoot accurately that fast?" no you will unholster you weapon and start shooting and not stop until you run out of round myself I'd rather have 17 rounds than 5or 6 but it's what YOU prefer

Old 10-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #35

Liked 2325 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 51

To the op, I would go with the heaviest, hottest loaded ball ammo I could find. Hard hitting is whatcha need. I hope ya never need a .40 against a big ole grizzly bear!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
To the op, I would go with the heaviest, hottest loaded ball ammo I could find. Hard hitting is whatcha need. I hope ya never need a .40 against a big ole grizzly bear!
Me either. Thankfully those confrontations are very rare. The black bears and wolves are an issue of concern though, and thankfully the black bears in my area aren't getting any bigger than, (in my opinion) a fat wolf. Not to say that there aren't any bigger, just equally rare. Mountain lions are an issue also. We seem to be getting more attacks by lions lately, and the way they move and the size I would be more comfortable with more available shots using my xd if I choose not to bring my Moss 500. Which is chambered 00 buck, slug, slug, slug, 00 buck, slug, slug. With wolves which I've seen up there, I feel at a distance and in packs the first shot should be a deterrent. My opinion guys.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #37
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5599 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 4684

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB View Post
I am trying to find a round that would be good for protection against wolves and or bears, (up close and personal of course) if I would have to defend myself.
Bless you and shoot straight! Aim for the nose or testicals, repeatedly.

If there is a hardcast tracer available, consider it.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #38
JTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooley6960 View Post
I'm not disputing the fact that a 44 mag would have more affect on the animal, like you said do " do you really thing you can draw and shoot accurately that fast?" no you will unholster you weapon and start shooting and not stop until you run out of round myself I'd rather have 17 rounds than 5or 6 but it's what YOU prefer
If you are fast you might be able to get off 3 rounds- very fast maybe 5 rounds. Most people can not believe how fast a bear is. Grizzly bears are sneaky and smart. They will ambush a hunter.

Patron Member NRA

Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #39

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm no expert, but I'd like to think that a bear's heart is a decent target size. I'd look at some anatomy pictures to get a good idea where it's located. A smaller round will do the job. You could probably even kill a grizzly with a .22LR. But a bigger bullet will have more cavity damage (not talking about "stopping power", but the eruptive spread of the wound channel). So instead of waiting for its heart to fail, you'd want to completely destroy it, rupture it, stop it ASAP.

40 = nothing special

44 mag = badass

Play both at the same time to get the full realization experience. Look at the size of the wound channel of the .44mag even after the .40's channel has collapsed on itself.

Last edited by slog; 10-11-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #40
JTJ

I had a moose run a good ways with a destroyed heart and a broken shoulder from a 375 H&H. 10 seconds is plenty of time for a bear to kill you. You will shooting frontal not side.

Patron Member NRA