Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would carry my glock 17 to hell and back I've shot about every pistol round they make and I wouldnt trade it for any other cartridge out there. I do a lot of hiking and camping myself and I had the same question but after shooting my buddy's 357 for a couple of weeks I realized that I could put 3 or 4 rounds down range with the 9 for every one shot with the 357. If you can put multiple rounds on a charging animal I don't care how pissed off it is it will stop. Also revolvers hold 5/6 rounds auto pistols 13/17 pack of starving wolves 5/6 hope you are a heck of a good shot no time to reload

Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

Ummm... did you read that part about bears?
A well placed shot will bring down anything, what good is a 500 s.w. if you can get a good shot, honestly if an animal is charging me I would spray as many bullets at it as I can and in the heat of the moment you WILL miss a couple i don't care who you are take into consideration more than just a bullets size sure a 357 has more knock down power that a 9mm but how fast can you reload a 357 or a 3030 compared to a auto pistol. Hydro shock ammo will stop about anything even bears

Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #23

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Where the freaking hell have you been? Don't leave us like that!
Hey Trip- I knowed you'd handle everthing till i got back

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #24

Thanks for all your comments guys. I'm in the south west. I do my hiking and camping up north in my state. We do have brown bear but it is very rare to even had heard that they are around let alone see one out in the distance. My main concern is black bear and grey wolves. We have a lot of black bear, and just recently while I was up there I seen a grey wolf crossing the trail. It saw me but thankfully he wasn't with his pack and just kept on walking. So after reading your comments my next question would be is where in the hell can I find round tip FMJ 40 S&W. Preferably from a reputable brand like Winchester, and Federal.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

With a 40 S&W, you will need the hottest solid you can find. +P+ if you can and SOLID. You better be able to hit he nose of a charging bear. If your pistol is a Glock, do not get lead. You will stand a better chance with bear spray. Kimber makes a pistol like Pepper Blaster. It uses a gel instead of spray. It is designed for humans but bears are actually more sensitive. It is 2 shots and range is 3-13 feet and you aim it like a pistol. It will work in wind and rain and you wont spray yourself. $30-$40
Note: Carry extra underwear and wet wipes.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #26

I see your point. The thing is, it's better to have something than nothing right. I'll check on the kimber idea, thanks. I have an XD 40 Service. It does very exceptional with anything I put through it. I use Federal Hydra Shock for home defense and edc, but I can only find flat tip fmj. What I'm thinking is, I'll probably get better penetration with round nose. I know they sell them, I just can't find Winchester, Remington, or Federal round tip rounds anywhere.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Very true bear spray will kill all interest it has for you also a bear bell on your pack will avoid surprising it

Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #28

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooley6960 View Post
A well placed shot will bring down anything, what good is a 500 s.w. if you can get a good shot, honestly if an animal is charging me I would spray as many bullets at it as I can and in the heat of the moment you WILL miss a couple i don't care who you are take into consideration more than just a bullets size sure a 357 has more knock down power that a 9mm but how fast can you reload a 357 or a 3030 compared to a auto pistol. Hydro shock ammo will stop about anything even bears
Please tell us how many large game animals you have shot, I'm talking bear, moose, mule deer, elk, etc.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old 10-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #29

So I found these online, 40 S&W Corbon Performance Match 165gr. FMJ Ammo. Can anybody tell me if they know anything about Corbon?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #30
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2124 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB View Post
So I found these online, 40 S&W Corbon Performance Match 165gr. FMJ Ammo. Can anybody tell me if they know anything about Corbon?
They are know for making some pretty dang hot ammo and good stuff.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA