Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Surprised nobody has chimed in but all i can say is fill it with good hollow points
Where the freaking hell have you been? Don't leave us like that!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

If .40 is all you have, then it will have to work. But agree, probably heavy ball ammo would be best. I've had some that went through a 3/8" piece of angle iron at about 20 yards. I was pretty impressed with what it did. But, I impress easily.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #13

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
He did state-----

Oh, my bad.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I suggest doing a lot of reading about handgun hunting of bear to get a reliable answer. Most places I've read recommend nothing less than a 45 LC, 44Mag but the sure thing is more like a 454Casull, 460 or 500Mag. Many places still suggest that shooting is the dangerous choice when dealing with bears, unless you have no other options. Bear Mace supposedly provides the human a better survival rate than shooting does. Reading about how to avoid them, knowing where they are and how to react is very important and you cannot read enough of stories as far as I am concerned. As for the ammo, Hollow Points definitely out, Flex Tip might do a good job if you are packing the 45LC, 44 or 460 Magnum size. When I go backcountry hiking, I sleep with a 44 or 460 next to me in addition to my pistol grip 20 gauge with 3" shells. If I was overnight hiking, I'd be packing the 460 and probably a 45acp too. Around town for the typical two legged creatures, a 40S&W with Flex Tips is my choice.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'd get a 30.30 saddle or a trapper rifle. Short enough to lug around but packs a punch when needed.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB View Post
Hey guys,

I do a lot of backpacking, camping, and some hunting. My sidearm of choice for protection is the XD 40 Service. I know a shotgun is the answer, and I do have a Mosseburg 500. But sometimes I don't want to hike it in. I am trying to find a round that would be good for protection against wolves and or bears, (up close and personal of course) if I would have to defend myself. My question to you guys would be, if all you had was the 40, what round would you use.
I have a friend that lives in Alaska. He swears by the .44 magnum for bear protection. I'm not so sure myself. I've never come across a bear or shot any large animals. However, he claims that many people there carry a 44mag revolver for such purposes.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 770

What part of the country are you in? If you are in grizzly country, I'd say you are definitely under-gunned. If you are in the southwest or out east in black bear country, then you're probably ok.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #18

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

the biggest thing is to know how the bear "should" react.

black bears are VERY confrontational, BUT by not backin down, makin yourself as BIG as possible, and BEIN LOUD, LOUD, you stand a GREAT chance of walkin away without firin a shot.

brown/kodiak bears, however, aren't as intimidated. for them, either curl up into a fetal position with your fingers interlaced around the back of your neck, or find a VERY climbable tree......AND QUICKLY.

you MIGHT kill either one with the .40, but most likely you are just gonna piss'em off even more.

the only way to really damage either (with time for you to LIVE and WALK AWAY), is to shoot them in the eyeball(s), or in the nose/mouth so the shot goes to the back of the throat. but try shootin a baseball-sized target that has surprised you @ 20 yds (60ft) and is bearin down on you @ a 30mph sprint!!!

best to get some Pepper Spray.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If your comfortable with your 40 then use it people can suggest whatever they want but that's what they are comfortable with.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooley6960 View Post
If your comfortable with your 40 then use it people can suggest whatever they want but that's what they are comfortable with.
Ummm... did you read that part about bears?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA