Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/personal-protection-40-s-w-round-74018/)

KennyB 10-09-2012 05:24 PM

Personal Protection from a 40 s&w round
 
Hey guys,

I do a lot of backpacking, camping, and some hunting. My sidearm of choice for protection is the XD 40 Service. I know a shotgun is the answer, and I do have a Mosseburg 500. But sometimes I don't want to hike it in. I am trying to find a round that would be good for protection against wolves and or bears, (up close and personal of course) if I would have to defend myself. My question to you guys would be, if all you had was the 40, what round would you use.

HOSSFLY 10-10-2012 12:56 AM

Surprised nobody has chimed in but all i can say is fill it with good hollow points:cool:

mountainman13 10-10-2012 12:59 AM

If its up close and personal you had better get in a head shot or the bear is gonna close the gap and open you up. I would recommend a mix of jhp and fmj.

kytowboater 10-10-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
If its up close and personal you had better get in a head shot or the bear is gonna close the gap and open you up. I would recommend a mix of jhp and fmj.

Your alive?! O.o

mountainman13 10-10-2012 01:01 AM

Lol. Just been extremely busy and working a ton of hours. Building up and running a gun shop with 2 people isn't easy.

Polygon 10-10-2012 01:04 AM

You're only going to piss off a bear with a .40 S&W. You need a different gun. I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .357 Magnum if you're concerned about running into bears. If I'm hiking I leave my 9mm and strap my M29 to my side.

HOSSFLY 10-10-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polygon (Post 970741)
You're only going to piss off a bear with a .40 S&W. You need a different gun. I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .357 Magnum if you're concerned about running into bears. If I'm hiking I leave my 9mm and strap my M29 to my side.

He did state-----
Quote:

if all you had was the 40

Garadex 10-10-2012 01:28 AM

probably Buffalo Bore or a really hot handload.

JonM 10-10-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 970736)
Surprised nobody has chimed in but all i can say is fill it with good hollow points:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 970737)
If its up close and personal you had better get in a head shot or the bear is gonna close the gap and open you up. I would recommend a mix of jhp and fmj.

do NOT!!! use hollow points if your main concern is bear or wolf or lion!! they will not get through the thick hide and muscle. hollowpoints expand to prevent over penetration and penetration is what is desperately needed in the 40 short and weak.

use the hottest hardcast solid you can get that functions safely in your gun. prime source is buffalo bore

using hollowpoints on a dangerous animal may kill the critter in a month or so from infection but you will be bear/cat/wolf poop long before that occurs

HOSSFLY 10-10-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 970803)
do NOT!!! use hollow points if your main concern is bear or wolf or lion!! they will not get through the thick hide and muscle. hollowpoints expand to prevent over penetration and penetration is what is desperately needed in the 40 short and weak.

use the hottest hardcast solid you can get that functions safely in your gun. prime source is buffalo bore

using hollowpoints on a dangerous animal may kill the critter in a month or so from infection but you will be bear/cat/wolf poop long before that occurs

Here we go-----:rolleyes:


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:45 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.