Personal opinion on reloading? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Personal opinion on reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
See there is the difference. If I screw up and break my gun I know it was me and I have the guts to say to myself I broke it I need to fix it. Breaking some thing because your stupid then expecting someone else to pay to fix it is just wrong.
Yeah, I agree, if I broke my gun that way, I wouldn't send it back, to me dignity and honesty is more important then my pocket book. However, I don't get why you can't use reloads in self-defense, its BS IMO. When there is someone attacking me or my family, I want the most brutal, lethal round I can find(or build) to stop them dead. I will never understand why that person attacking me will have more rights then me. Luckily however, there are a number of great factory loads for SD : )

Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #22

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79 View Post
Yeah, I agree, if I broke my gun that way, I wouldn't send it back, to me dignity and honesty is more important then my pocket book. However, I don't get why you can't use reloads in self-defense, its BS IMO. When there is someone attacking me or my family, I want the most brutal, lethal round I can find(or build) to stop them dead. I will never understand why that person attacking me will have more rights then me. Luckily however, there are a number of great factory loads for SD : )
You can use handloads in self defense no one says you can't some of us just choose to error on the side of caution.

Right there is where the problem lies. Because that statement is out on the wide open interwebs for all to find. If you happen to shoot someone and the defense starts to dig he is going to find that statement and say in the court room you were looking to kill anyone and anything out there and you made sure you use the most brutal way to do you made sure that you handloaded cop killer bullets at a speed which would cause instant and painful death in the poor young man that was really a good boy and trying to get his under privileged life back on track after having minor run in's with the law.

Where as if you were to use say speer gold dots you can refute the looking to kill someone in a brutal fashion by saying I used a long standing factory loaded STANDARD defense round that millions of people use and carry every day.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #23

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You can use handloads in self defense no one says you can't some of us just choose to error on the side of caution.

Right there is where the problem lies. Because that statement is out on the wide open interwebs for all to find. If you happen to shoot someone and the defense starts to dig he is going to find that statement and say in the court room you were looking to kill anyone and anything out there and you made sure you use the most brutal way to do you made sure that you handloaded cop killer bullets at a speed which would cause instant and painful death in the poor young man that was really a good boy and trying to get his under privileged life back on track after having minor run in's with the law.

Where as if you were to use say speer gold dots you can refute the looking to kill someone in a brutal fashion by saying I used a long standing factory loaded STANDARD defense round that millions of people use and carry every day.
I see what you're saying, but still, it's all BS, of course I want the person I'm shooting in self defense to die. People don't pick rounds that are brutal and painful on purpose. The reason they are brutal and painful, is they are made to stop/kill the person that is threatening your life. All bets should be off for that criminal as soon as he/she forces you to defend your life.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #24

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default reloads

i wouldnt shoot any that i personally had not loaded myself ...and an undercharged load is just as dangerous as an overcharged one. as far as companys go its just the nature of the beast ,liability. just read the warnings on power tools ... and my favorite ladders ,does any average ''do it youself ''type of guy weigh less than 200lbs.lol

Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #25

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

For what its worth, I've had problems with parts breakage. I wrote the manufacturer advising them that I had used my reloaded ammunition, much of it full power magnum level ammunition. The manufacturer corrected my problems without any charge.

In one case the barrel stub cracked after only about 6,000 rounds being fired, this was replaced with a new barrel at no charge.

Another suffered several instances of internal parts breakdown, this was factory corrected at no charge.

On another, the barrel came unscrewed in the frame, again, this was corrected at no charge.

As I recall, I did pay the shipping to the factory.

Bob Wright

Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I can understand them not warranting their gun if you use reloads. If the gun fails because of a problem with a commercial round, they can turn to the ammunition maker for compensation.

If an overcharged Remington .38 special blows up your model 36, S&W will probably fix it. But I'd be surprised if they didn't send the bill to Remington.

On the other topic, 99% of my shooting is with reloads. I carry only premium factory rounds for self defense. I see no reason to use reloads for that since I shoot so little of it. I still have 45 of the original box of 50 158gr +P LSWCHP that I bought for my 36 many years ago.