Personal opinion on reloading? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Personal opinion on reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If you stay within the load data int he reloading manuals you should have no problems. Why do they need to know you were shooting reloads?
Agreed, as a matter of fact however, my dad loaded some 44 loads too hot for the desert eagle, up to 1500ft lbs, and the ejector pin inside the bolt was cut in half!, so I can see a companies point being weary about reloads, however, the reloaded ammo Ive fired jams less then factory ammo.......so, no need for them to know.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If you stay within the load data int he reloading manuals you should have no problems. Why do they need to know you were shooting reloads?
Would you use your reload for self-defense use. I've always thought a recipe in a reloading manual should be okay for self-defense also. I think in both cases it comes down the liability issue. I may be wrong but it's what I think the bottom line is. Who would be libel for your blown up gun should that happen? Or who would be libel for injuries. Just my thoughts.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Last edited by hogrider; 11-10-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: clarification

Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #13

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry5081 View Post
Would you use your reload for self-defense use. I've always thought a recipe in a reloading manual should be okay for self-defense also.
I trust my reloads for self defense, but there is a few legal people who are trying to use the reloads in self defense cases to get a judgement against lawful people that use them.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

New sig line Spitty...

Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #15

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79 View Post
Agreed, as a matter of fact however, my dad loaded some 44 loads too hot for the desert eagle, up to 1500ft lbs, and the ejector pin inside the bolt was cut in half!, so I can see a companies point being weary about reloads, however, the reloaded ammo Ive fired jams less then factory ammo.......so, no need for them to know.
See there is the difference. If I screw up and break my gun I know it was me and I have the guts to say to myself I broke it I need to fix it. Breaking some thing because your stupid then expecting someone else to pay to fix it is just wrong.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry5081 View Post
Would you use your reload for self-defense use. I've always thought a recipe in a reloading manual should be okay for self-defense also. I think in both cases it comes down the liability issue. I may be wrong but it's what I think the bottom line is. Who would be libel for your blown up gun should that happen? Or who would be libel for injuries. Just my thoughts.
yes and no. would i be confident they would perform?? yes definately. if this was an actual free country not run by trial lawyers i would use em.

would i be confident the dead scumbag's sleazy relative's liberal trial lawyer would use it against me?? yes definately.

so i use factory defense rounds in my SD guns.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #17

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 433

If I ruin my gun through my own stupity, I will not try to hand it to the manufacturer and expect them to fix it under warranty. My stupidity, my problem.
For anti-personnel use, I will not use reloads. One less issue to explain in court.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 11-10-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another way to think about it this issue is the money you save by reloading. If you are a diligent shooter, after a couple of years the money you save on buying commercial ammo could likely more than pay for another gun if something did happen and the manufacturer refused to honor the warranty. But let's be realistic, if you are loading within spec, they will have no idea.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Reloads

Would I trust my life to my reloads? Yes.
Would I trust my life to someone else's reloads? No way.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3582 Times on 1838 Posts
Likes Given: 399

It would be difficult to prove a load was a reload unless you used a primer different than the case originally came with.