Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Personal opinion on reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Personal opinion on reloading?

Do you think it's ok for companies to void warranties based on someone reloading? I mean, if the gun blows up cause you use a credit card load that's one thing, but, to be honest, the guns I have shot have had better luck with reloads as far as jamming, etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yes, they have no control over your reloading, the steel that the companies make the rifles and pistols out of is of certain quality per the caliber size.
If we exceed that quality and the gun explodes, should they be responsible?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #3

All companies have the right to void warranties for whatever reason they choose. It is their legar right. Some reloaders are very good while other`s think they know more than the reloading books. The books do change because of the varying methods of pressure testing. I reload and accept the risk that my warranty may be void.

patret

Old 11-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

yes it should void the warranty and typically its the case that fails to high pressure not the gun. this isnt always true buts its more often than not the "case"

as stated above there is no documentable hold up in court type means that the individual has to prove their super home brew zombie buster didnt break the gun.

all that being said following the loading manuals zealously most handloaders havent any trouble. ive been loading since the late 80's and ive had more problems with mass produced ammo than my own loads. the benefits of more accurate, consistant, and wider selection of bullets far out weigh the risk of voiding a warranty.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #5

Lets back up a bit. Think about the average gun manufacturer in a design meeting.

"MMM Lets design a gun. Okay lets use XYZ steel for the frame.... and for the barrel we will use... What stress standards do we use?"

For obvious safety and legal reasons the manufacturers MUST use a set level of standards. Those standards are based upon accepted levels of power produced in factory loads for standard calibers.

Hand Loads or Reloads are outside of that set standards. Reloading does allow the reloader to work with powders, primers and projectiles that are standard and proven, just not in standardized formulas.

ONLY an idiot would grant a warrantee based upon the deviation of an accepted power level and manufacturing practice.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:17 AM   #6

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I have been reloading for around 30+ years, and I make all my reloads under max loads so they are safe as I can get them. But many people tend to think they can just load what ever they want to and a lot of times they are way out of specs. Like the guy at the range early this past summer who blew the mag right out of his hand gun with hot loads. He even bragged about them being hot-hot loads, now he has a worthless hand gun.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

IMO, If I have a firearm I want to keep warranty on, I shoot commercial ammo. On those that I don't care about the warranty, I will shoot reloads.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 11-10-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I can understand the manufacturers point of view but as a reloader I believe that if you keep the loads within spec, you'll be fine. Please keep in mind the idiot factor.....when you build something you have to account for the dumbest of the dumb.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 AM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If you stay within the load data int he reloading manuals you should have no problems. Why do they need to know you were shooting reloads?

Old 11-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Why do they need to know you were shooting reloads?
Well, that's exactly what I was thinking.........