P250 or P229 9mm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > P250 or P229 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default P250 or P229 9mm

Okay, so I just got back from the range. Had my buddy the IPDA shooter with me. Brought my Ruger GP100 and he brought his G19, Sig P229 (both 9mm), and his Kimber .45 ultra cdp.

Well, first, let me say that I've been looking for an auto. handgun for me for a little while - had a PX4 Storm .40, then my GP100 (which I am keeping), and I shot a Glock 19 .40SW a little while ago. Along the way, I've tried out the Bersa Thun .380. the LCP, and a couple of others (FN5-7, etc). I am definitely looking for a 9mm compact (4" barrel) type.

Well, after shooting the Glock 19 in .40, I couldn't wait to try out a G19 in 9mm, and today I got my chance. It was....very nice. Pretty accurate, pretty smooth, I controlled it well, all the stuff. Then my bud gave me his Sig P229, all loaded, ready to fire, so I could make a good comparison between the two.

Oh....My....Gawd...

Silky smooth, very controllable, little recoil, easy sighting, GREAT trigger pull, and I was hitting inner torso circles at 25 yds after only two magazines. No FTF's, no FTE's, all the right stuff! (disclaimer: the sig did have a Hogue wraparound grip with finger grooves and the Glock did not. That may have made a difference??)....

So I've made my decision. For me, it HAS to be a Sig 9mm.

But a P229? Or a P250? I can't say.

Can anyone tell me, with authority how these two guns compare to each other? I mean, besides all the literary stuff like 'first modular gun, easy to convert, multiple calibers, polymer frame', etc, what makes the P229 so much more expensive than the P250 (like $400-500 more)?

If I go with a P250, can I expect the same silky smooth, easy-pull, all-kinds-of-accurate performance? How likely is it to shoot like the 229? Ever?

Thanks for listening to a too-long-story. Any help from the Sig Experts will be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I can get a sig P250 kit, including both the compact and subcompact frames, for less than a P229. But I have to wonder how much time I'm gonna spend swapping them out. I may be too lazy for that, you know?? And, tightwad though I am I don't want the price to be THE decision point.

Last edited by brancher; 09-19-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Sig P250 is DAO and does not have the decocker like the Sig P229. I don't have experience with the Sig P250, but I do have experience with the Sig P226 and P229. What's your intended purpose for the firearm?

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Likes Given: 2

I have a P250 as well as a P226, I like both for different reasons.
I carried a P250SC in 9mm for well over a year, It felt right, I had zero issues with the DAO trigger or it eating anything I fed it, I was fairly accurate with it, Enough so that I could hit what I needed, It fits my hand better than my P226, I bought the 2sum and still have the Full size P250, I bought a second FCU(Fire Control Unit) from a company in the Northwest, It came with a takedown lever so I could have 2 P250's for less than $800.
I like my P226 in .40S&W a lot as well, I think I need a bit more one on one with it, But its more of a fun pistol to have, I don't carry it, I'm not a big person(5'10" 160) and its a fairly good sized pistol, I know the P229 is a little smaller so that may not be an issue.
The trigger on both are very smooth, The P250 is an even pull, But it does have a little longer reset, One can never go wrong with any of the classic P series.
My suggestion is try a P250 if you can, Like I said I had no issue with the DAO, I think I actually shoot it better than my XD40sc, But its hard to say.
I really don't know if I helped or not.
Best of luck

Old 09-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #4

Sorry, my original post talked about my using a Glock 19 .40. That was actually a Glock 23 that belonged to a friend. Intended use? Well, I am looking for a viable, carryable platform (and I don't know that a 14-ounce .380 is a viable platform for me) that is useful on my person or car (kinda hard to tote my GP 100 .357 4" without being stupidly obvious -- besides that's the nightstand gun), as well as big enough for target practice at ranges, etc. I really like shooting my GP but am interested in going to an auto. I've actually been through the gamut with trying out ultra carry's, slightly larger carry's, fat cartridges, short cartridges, looking at penetration and ballistic data for everything from a .32 to a .45 acp, reading a bunch of forums (and trying to figure out who actually knows what they're talking about), and I've come up with the following: I want a 9mm. I'd love to have an ultra carry, but I have found a 3.5" to 4" barrel to be comfortable (for now). I want a gun that is instinctive enough and ergonomic enough to really enjoy shooting. I've actually thought about picking up a snubbie, but I really like the flexibility (and capacity and speed) of the semiautos.

I've seen expensive guns get tied up with FTE's and FTF's just like cheap guns, so I know that money doesn't always buy the best. I like the Browning Hi-Power (although I have never shot one and they are all kinds of heavy). I liked my Beretta .40 but I liked the Glock 23 better. I Liked the Glock 19 but the Sig just begs me to shoot it.

In short, I want a powerful, carryable, no-recoil, cheap ammo, light, inexpensive weapon that's invisible and never jams, misses, or breaks. And I want it to go up in value after I get it. ;>)

VitSports6, I like your idea, and I am frankly sort of surprised that you speak so highly of the P250. No particular reason, I just figured a die-hard sig fan would be dubious about the polymer/ modular stuff. DAO doesn't bother me in the least (c'mon, I tug on a flippin' GP100 for goodness sakes).... Maybe I'll find a P250 rental somewhere and try to compare the two. I'll have to re-read your post for more insight about your upgrades/alts. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If the price doesn't deter you, look into a these compacts from Sig, all available in 9mm:
P228/P229 (they're pretty much the same gun) or P239 (sort of a light, slim, single stack version of the aforementioned pair)
The older service Sig P6 is also worth a look for about $400

When it comes to plastic Sigs, I prefer the P2022 to the P250...but haven't been impressed enough with either to actually purchase one. I really like the triggers on the Springfield XD/XDm series best when it comes to polymer.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #6

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
If the price doesn't deter you, look into a these compacts from Sig, all available in 9mm:
P228/P229 (they're pretty much the same gun) or P239 (sort of a light, slim, single stack version of the aforementioned pair)

When it comes to plastic Sigs, I prefer the P2022 to the P250...but haven't been impressed enough with either to actually purchase one. I really like the triggers on the Springfield XD/XDm series best when it comes to polymer.
I seem to like my old SP2340 as well.
I am still working with my XD, Going from a DAO to the XD is a little different.
I also agree on a P6, Maybe someday I will look into one of them as well.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post

Thanks. I'm gonna rent a p239 at the range this weekend to discern the difference between that and a p229 if I can. I'll let you guys know. Meanwhile, looks like I can get a non-SAS for not too much.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #8

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
Thanks. I'm gonna rent a p239 at the range this weekend to discern the difference between that and a p229 if I can. I'll let you guys know. Meanwhile, looks like I can get a non-SAS for not too much.

Well, after doing the range trips, shooting over 200 rounds through 8 different 9mm guns (the only thing missing was an XD), I found the following:

1. The S&W M&P 9 is almost as smooth and nice as the Sig P229.
2. The Sig P239 is almost as sweet at teh 229. In fact it is just as sweet, but a shorter barrel will require a tad more attention on my part.
3. I still hate the LC9.
4. The dark horse surprise is (drum roll...) the FNP9. No kidding. Yeah I know it's longer than I originally suggested, and I now it's not the 'big brand' but omg, it is a VERY sweet gun - every bit as nice as the Sig p229 - with smooth pull, smooth slide, VERY accurate, low recoil, all the stuff.

Did I mention cheaper?

So I'm thinking, 'I wish they had a shorter platform..." and lo and behold, there IS (or was) an FNP9-m, with a slightly shorter barrel and slightly shorter grip. They don't make it anymore but there are a few still out there NIB.

And I found one. 3.79" barrel, 15 rnd capacity, 3-dots, sig sights, NIB, 3 mags, decocker, lock, never fired.

And almost $300 less than the Sig P239.

And it got here today.

And I have broken it down, and cleaned it and lubed it and I cannot wait to get it out on the range.

I am very stoked.

Too bad I have this whole job thing going on....

(applause please).

sc

Old 09-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #9

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Great buy! And let me be the first to say, without pictures, it didn't happen! And we expect a range report.

Thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #10

Yeah, will do (as soon as I can break away to the range that is....).