Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > P220 or USP .45?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default P220 or USP .45?

Looking for another .45 to supplement my collection... I have little experience with both of these brands, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I have been able to fire both, but right now it's a toss up as to which I like better.

Which would YOU choose?

I don't plan on using it for daily carry, although I'm sure it will make its way into one of my holsters at some point. I will probably use it for IDPA and possibly for a 3 gun.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Having owned a USP Tactical, and owning a Sig, I would pick the P220 over the USP if the decision were mine.

JD

Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned both as well and I bought a P220 ST today - so I guess that's my answer...

Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 429 Times on 229 Posts

Heck, Just get both.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #5

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Looking for another .45 to supplement my collection... I have little experience with both of these brands, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I have been able to fire both, but right now it's a toss up as to which I like better.

Which would YOU choose?

I don't plan on using it for daily carry, although I'm sure it will make its way into one of my holsters at some point. I will probably use it for IDPA and possibly for a 3 gun.
ive had both bought within 3 months of each other bout 20 years ago. i still got the sig p220 will never sell it. sold the usp within a year. i found it to clunky and clumsy and to heavy. for competition i would go 1911. the manual safety with the superb trigger is almost cheating.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #6

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Kind of off topic, but has anyone owned or shot the HK 45? Just wondering how it compares to the USP.

I like the feel of both, but the Sig is just a little more wallet friendly.

@JonM, I have a few 1911s that I've used for competition, I just like the .45 caliber and wanted a little diversity in my collection. (Can't really beat them in terms of feel, ease, etc.) Mostly my 1911s stay in the safe, though. One was inherited from my Dad, a Colt Commander Model, and the other is a really pretty Les Baer. I thought about getting another 1911 for my competition gun, but I just can't fight the urge to go with something a little different this time. (My collection consists of a ton of Glocks, the aforementioned 1911s, some rifles, shotguns, and a S&W .22 revolver. I think the Sig would be a nice touch of variety)

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #7

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

ahhh then your gonna like the 220 a lot. if i couldnt have a 1911 it would be the 220as my main gun. accuracy is superb.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Sig hands down...probably my favorite .45

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #9

I bought a P220 back in 1995 and have never looked back. Awesome .45 and I hope I never have to part with it. I only wish factory mags were more affordable and plentiful. You will NOT be sorry with the Sig.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I've owned both. My ex-wife took the P-220, and I sold the USP Tactical today. Did not care for either.

BUT...The P-220 that is all stainless steel and can be carried cocked and locked has me intrigued. I forget which version it is.

EDIT. found the P-220.
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=40&produ ctid=160

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Last edited by M14sRock; 02-07-2011 at 04:51 AM.