+P ammo for .45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > +P ammo for .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default +P ammo for .45

I just purchased a box of +P .45 caliber ammo (that's all the gun shop had).

Is there any .45 I should not put it through? I own:

Kimber Tactical Custom II
Kimber Grand Raptor II
Taurus PT1911
Sig P220
SA XD45

Obviously, at this price, I don't plan on using it at the range! But just for self-defense carry. Thanks for your input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

All of them listed will all eat that .45 + p ammo just fine, maybe a little more noticeable kick and probably a little more accurate to target if you adjust properly for it.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any modern .45 in good working condition should handle +P just fine.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #4

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
Any modern .45 in good working condition should handle +P just fine.
While technically an accurate statement, it's not complete.

Several weapon makers WILL NOT warranty their weapons if you shoot +P or +P+ in their weapons. Whether the weapon can handle the load is immaterial should something actually happen.

+P, and +P+, are hotter than SAMMI specs, so therefor you are putting extra stress on the weapon and it's components.

To the OP: Kimber does authorize use of +P and +P+ in their weapons and will still cover warranty should something happen.

I BELIEVE the same is true of Taurus, but I do not know for sure.

Of the other two, I have no idea and have not researched it.

Your owner's manual will tell you, expressly, one way or the other.

H&K pistols, for example, have it in bold print that they are rated to handle +P and +P+ loads right in the manual.

All of my pistols were +P and +P+ rated, until the went down with the fishing boat as Skull and I were trying to catch us some monsters from the deep.

JD

Old 08-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #6

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #7

The response I got from SA customer service when I asked whether +P was OK in my new XD-45 was that +P was "OK", but to "avoid" a "steady diet" of +P, and the clean the gun real well after using +P (as if I wouldn't after a SAMMI round....)

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not to derail this thread but when it comes to 45 ammo what is the benifit of +P ammo? I understand the additional punch but is it a round anyone carries over the standard round if so why? I have some +P ammo and bought it much like the OP did, it was all I could get my hands on at the time. Mine are FMJ and I prefer HP for PD.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
While technically an accurate statement, it's not complete.

Several weapon makers WILL NOT warranty their weapons if you shoot +P or +P+ in their weapons. Whether the weapon can handle the load is immaterial should something actually happen.

+P, and +P+, are hotter than SAMMI specs, so therefor you are putting extra stress on the weapon and it's components.

To the OP: Kimber does authorize use of +P and +P+ in their weapons and will still cover warranty should something happen.

I BELIEVE the same is true of Taurus, but I do not know for sure.

Of the other two, I have no idea and have not researched it.

Your owner's manual will tell you, expressly, one way or the other.

H&K pistols, for example, have it in bold print that they are rated to handle +P and +P+ loads right in the manual.

All of my pistols were +P and +P+ rated, until the went down with the fishing boat as Skull and I were trying to catch us some monsters from the deep.
The OP didn't ask about or even mention anything about warranties.

He also didn't say anything about being in the market for a new gun, and he provided a list of the guns he ALREADY owned.

I have no idea whether any of his guns are still under warranty or not, and don't consider it relevant to what he was asking.

Having actual shooting experience with all five guns he mentioned, and actually having owned three of the models on that list, I can attest to the fact that all five of the firearms he mentioned will fire +P with NO problems whatsoever.

I answered the OP's question straight up, without any superfluous meandering, and was as "complete" as I intended to be. As a general rule, I don't volunteer extraneous information that isn't specifically asked of me.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #10

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
The OP didn't ask about or even mention anything about warranties.

He also didn't say anything about being in the market for a new gun, and he provided a list of the guns he ALREADY owned.

I have no idea whether any of his guns are still under warranty or not, and don't consider it relevant to what he was asking.

Having actual shooting experience with all five guns he mentioned, and actually having owned three of the models on that list, I can attest to the fact that all five of the firearms he mentioned will fire +P with NO problems whatsoever.

I answered the OP's question straight up, without any superfluous meandering, and was as "complete" as I intended to be. As a general rule, I don't volunteer extraneous information that isn't specifically asked of me.
WOW Defender, how unextraneous.

But why so many words?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello