Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   +P ammo for .45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/p-ammo-45-a-16818/)

lonyaeger 08-12-2009 01:35 AM

+P ammo for .45

I just purchased a box of +P .45 caliber ammo (that's all the gun shop had).

Is there any .45 I should not put it through? I own:

Kimber Tactical Custom II
Kimber Grand Raptor II
Taurus PT1911
Sig P220
SA XD45

Obviously, at this price, I don't plan on using it at the range! But just for self-defense carry. Thanks for your input.

IGETEVEN 08-12-2009 03:29 AM

All of them listed will all eat that .45 + p ammo just fine, maybe a little more noticeable kick and probably a little more accurate to target if you adjust properly for it.

Jack

Defender 08-12-2009 09:36 AM

Any modern .45 in good working condition should handle +P just fine.

lonyaeger 08-12-2009 01:47 PM

Thanks for your help!

Dillinger 08-12-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defender (Post 143088)
Any modern .45 in good working condition should handle +P just fine.

While technically an accurate statement, it's not complete.

Several weapon makers WILL NOT warranty their weapons if you shoot +P or +P+ in their weapons. Whether the weapon can handle the load is immaterial should something actually happen.

+P, and +P+, are hotter than SAMMI specs, so therefor you are putting extra stress on the weapon and it's components.

To the OP: Kimber does authorize use of +P and +P+ in their weapons and will still cover warranty should something happen.

I BELIEVE the same is true of Taurus, but I do not know for sure.

Of the other two, I have no idea and have not researched it.

Your owner's manual will tell you, expressly, one way or the other.

H&K pistols, for example, have it in bold print that they are rated to handle +P and +P+ loads right in the manual.

All of my pistols were +P and +P+ rated, until the went down with the fishing boat as Skull and I were trying to catch us some monsters from the deep. :o

JD

lonyaeger 08-12-2009 04:36 PM

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Succinct 08-12-2009 10:36 PM

The response I got from SA customer service when I asked whether +P was OK in my new XD-45 was that +P was "OK", but to "avoid" a "steady diet" of +P, and the clean the gun real well after using +P (as if I wouldn't after a SAMMI round....)

WDB 08-13-2009 01:49 AM

Not to derail this thread but when it comes to 45 ammo what is the benifit of +P ammo? I understand the additional punch but is it a round anyone carries over the standard round if so why? I have some +P ammo and bought it much like the OP did, it was all I could get my hands on at the time. Mine are FMJ and I prefer HP for PD.

Defender 08-13-2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 143209)
While technically an accurate statement, it's not complete.

Several weapon makers WILL NOT warranty their weapons if you shoot +P or +P+ in their weapons. Whether the weapon can handle the load is immaterial should something actually happen.

+P, and +P+, are hotter than SAMMI specs, so therefor you are putting extra stress on the weapon and it's components.

To the OP: Kimber does authorize use of +P and +P+ in their weapons and will still cover warranty should something happen.

I BELIEVE the same is true of Taurus, but I do not know for sure.

Of the other two, I have no idea and have not researched it.

Your owner's manual will tell you, expressly, one way or the other.

H&K pistols, for example, have it in bold print that they are rated to handle +P and +P+ loads right in the manual.

All of my pistols were +P and +P+ rated, until the went down with the fishing boat as Skull and I were trying to catch us some monsters from the deep.

The OP didn't ask about or even mention anything about warranties.

He also didn't say anything about being in the market for a new gun, and he provided a list of the guns he ALREADY owned.

I have no idea whether any of his guns are still under warranty or not, and don't consider it relevant to what he was asking.

Having actual shooting experience with all five guns he mentioned, and actually having owned three of the models on that list, I can attest to the fact that all five of the firearms he mentioned will fire +P with NO problems whatsoever.

I answered the OP's question straight up, without any superfluous meandering, and was as "complete" as I intended to be. As a general rule, I don't volunteer extraneous information that isn't specifically asked of me.

canebrake 08-13-2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defender (Post 143638)
The OP didn't ask about or even mention anything about warranties.

He also didn't say anything about being in the market for a new gun, and he provided a list of the guns he ALREADY owned.

I have no idea whether any of his guns are still under warranty or not, and don't consider it relevant to what he was asking.

Having actual shooting experience with all five guns he mentioned, and actually having owned three of the models on that list, I can attest to the fact that all five of the firearms he mentioned will fire +P with NO problems whatsoever.

I answered the OP's question straight up, without any superfluous meandering, and was as "complete" as I intended to be. As a general rule, I don't volunteer extraneous information that isn't specifically asked of me.

WOW Defender, how unextraneous.

But why so many words? http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif