Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Owners/users...how reliable is the SIG Mosquito?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I know a guy in Fayetteville that has a pink one for sale.

I can't complain at all about my browning buckmark camper. It's 15yrs old and still just hits where I aim it consistently, feeds great with the steel mags(not the plastic), and just fits ergonomically. You should be able to pick one up for less than $250 used. I think the new ones are worth it too.

People also rave about the rugers. If I were to get a ruger it would be the 22/45.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you looked at the Beretta Neos? They're only around $300 new, and very reliable.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I know a guy in Fayetteville that has a pink one for sale.

I can't complain at all about my browning buckmark camper. It's 15yrs old and still just hits where I aim it consistently, feeds great with the steel mags(not the plastic), and just fits ergonomically. You should be able to pick one up for less than $250 used. I think the new ones are worth it too.

People also rave about the rugers. If I were to get a ruger it would be the 22/45.
Well, I think that's the one I'm looking at. Thing is, I just priced spare magazines for it, and they're around $40 each. SIG OEM of course. That pretty much cuts it for me. I like to have at least five spare mags for any pistol I own. Range fun doesn't include reloading a ten round 22lr magazine after every go-round with paper. I want to load a box of fifty and go to town. I can buy new OEM magazines for my P220 45acp for less than that! What gives on the price of spare 22lr mags for this pistol? Anything aftermarket worth looking into? Maybe it should go in a new thread, but what do you think about the S&W 22A pistols?

By the way.....we ought to network more often up here in NWA! I'm actually in Springdale for now. Can't do the drive back and forth to work every day from Alma.

Last edited by Ram Rod; 01-22-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Well, I think that's the one I'm looking at. Thing is, I just priced spare magazines for it, and they're around $40 each. SIG OEM of course. That pretty much cuts it for me. I like to have at least five spare mags for any pistol I own. Range fun doesn't include reloading a ten round 22lr magazine after every go-round with paper. I want to load a box of fifty and go to town. I can buy new OEM magazines for my P220 45acp for less than that! What gives on the price of spare 22lr mags for this pistol? Anything aftermarket worth looking into? Maybe it should go in a new thread, but what do you think about the S&W 22A pistols?

By the way.....we ought to network more often up here in NWA! I'm actually in Springdale for now. Can't do the drive back and forth to work every day from Alma.
I've heard that about mosquito mags. I don't know, it's crazy.

The 22A pistols have a recall on some of the 09 models and I haven't handled one or shot one yet.

The Wal mart on pleasant grove has lots of bulk 22 ammo right now, but no cci.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #15

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have a Mosquito that has fed all new ammo quite well.

CCI minis, Rem subsonic, Rem thunderbolt, Fed lightning.

All without fail.

But, I have a container of old ammo, that I got in a random box o crap, and I put all the random finds and purchases in it. I frequently have FTF and FTE with that ammo. But, its dirty, old stuff. Maybe some powder degeneration, maybe its dirty cases.

What impresses me most, is the operation with subsonic rounds. My tax stamp should be here in a few months, so well see how it runs with it on.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, the good deal on the SIG sort of washed with the price of magazines. Went by the gun shop after work today and looked everything over pretty well. I really think I'd go for the Walther P22 in some form although the Ruger P22/45 was appealing. Brand new Walther P22 was $333. Gun show tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Well, the good deal on the SIG sort of washed with the price of magazines. Went by the gun shop after work today and looked everything over pretty well. I really think I'd go for the Walther P22 in some form although the Ruger P22/45 was appealing. Brand new Walther P22 was $333. Gun show tomorrow.
I would reconsider on the Walther P22. I know you've counted out the Mosquito but, I own a Walther P22, but find myself grabbing for my Sig .22lr Mosquito.
The Walther has a smaller grip and not as accurate as my Sig.
Also, from time to time my Walther P22 has feed & chambering issues.
It's a little picky about ammunition. If it's not too late maybe the Ruger.
If it is too late hopefully you won't have the problems I had with my P22.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #18

Liked 24 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

RamRod:

I've owned both the Walther and the Sig Mosquito, and can't recommend either one of them. I couldn't get through a single mag without a stovepipe, FTF, FTF, or a FTE from either of those pistols. I tried every type of CCI mini mag, Stingers, Velocitors, Fed bulk, Rem Golden bulk packs, even a couple boxes of Fed Match and nothing would work right.
The Walther was so bad that after 2 months I traded it on a NIB Sig, and from the very first mag had nothing but probs with it. After 6 wks and every type of ammo I could use, it still hadn't gone through 1 mag with a major prob.
Took it to my LGS and traded it on a NIB Beretta NEO. Now that's a nice gun. Came with 2 mags unlike the Sig (only had 1 mag) and it has shot every type of ammo even the Fed and Rem bulk packs. As for accuracy it is better than either the Walther or the Sig. The only plus I can say about the Sig is that it feels like a "real gun" as in (normal gun) in my hand.
I had owned a Ruger 22/45 for many yrs. After shooting about 30,000 rds. thru it the barrel and extractor became problematic. I sent it back to Ruger via my LGS with a check for $15 to handle the return shipping. I got it back with a brand new barrel and new extractor. I was shocked that I got it back so quickly, no bill for the replacements, and here's the kicker, they returned my $15 check uncashed....lol
The only prob with the Ruger is the take down and reassembly after cleaning, but that was the absolutely most accurate 22 I have ever owned.
I do like my NEO, even if it a bit futuristic in appearance, but it does handle nice, and I even put a cheapo red dot site on it.
Good luck and always stay safe.

NRA
GT (Member of Bull Dawgs Club/Big Dawgs Club)
GSSF
USCCA
DC
PAFOA
DEF. HANDGUNS
AMERICAN GUN OWNERS
CONCEALED CARRY
*Concealed means...Concealed!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #19

Mine was reliable with mini-mags but that was about it. I sold it because I shoot bulk packs and no matter what I did it wouldn't function well. Its a shame cause I liked the ergonomics of the pistol.