Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Owners/users...how reliable is the SIG Mosquito? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/owners-users-how-reliable-sig-mosquito-22454/)

Ram Rod 01-22-2010 12:25 AM

Owners/users...how reliable is the SIG Mosquito?

Just what the title says. Anyone with extensive experience, please loan me your opinions on the SIG Mosquito 22lr pistol. I may look at this pistol as an alternative steel challenge pistol. I don't want to have to clean it after every course of fire or every stage. Minimum 25 rounds per stage, six stages total. Thanks

NGIB 01-22-2010 01:06 AM

I have one and it's reliable but I wouldn't shoot competitions with it. I'd seriously consider one of the Sig classic P-series .22s instead. I have a P220 in .22 and it's a great pistol - much more accurate and solid than the Mosquito.

They are available in the 220, 226, or 229 frame. This is my P220 SAO:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j.../IMG_220-X.jpg

Gojubrian 01-22-2010 01:12 AM

I shot my friends mosquito at the range one day. It was pretty decent on accuracy, but would not feed regurlarly anything but cci mini mags. Those bulk boxes won't cut it.

Not extensive experience, but it's something. :o

JonM 01-22-2010 01:57 PM

for competition no way. the ammount of money you would have to spend on getting trigger work done removing magazine safeties and such would be ridiculous. there are better guns right out of the box than the mosquito for that.

i have a mosquito and i love it for what it is, a plinker. know its not top end or even middle low end gun. reliability is good using ammo it likes.

995 01-22-2010 02:13 PM

What about the Ruger Mark II Or III

MemphisJim1 01-22-2010 05:10 PM

I have two Mosquitos and love them both. Through many thousands of rounds now, mine operate reliably and reasonably accurately. However, I would not choose either for any kind of a competitive event. Keeping them clean and well lubed is one of the keys to reliability with them. I also have a Ruger MkII 22/45 that I would not hesitate to use in competition. The Skeeters prefer high velocity rounds (with a strong bias for CCI MiniMags) while the Ruger happily shoots most anything I feed it (except Rem ThunderThuds). Of course, Mosquitos lead the pack in the "ease of maintenance" department while reassembly of the Ruger will dredge up memories of curses and incantations you had long forgotten. Whichever way you go, though, shooting any of the small caliber semis is just flat out fun.

chucksolo69 01-22-2010 06:44 PM

I have had my Mosquito for about a year now and broke it in using the CCI MiniMags; about 500 rounds worth. It will now feed almost anything reliably. I really like the gun for its intended purpose. My gun will group in 4"-5" at 25 yards which is good for plinking, but not much else. I, like everyone else who commented, would recommend something different for competition. I personally would choose a revolver for serious competition. A Ruger Single Six or the S&W kit gun come to mind.

tallguy130 01-22-2010 08:30 PM

I've had one for about a year and a half. Won't feed bulk stuff well at all, CCI is what it likes best and I've tried a lot of brands. You wouldn't have to clean it in between rounds during the comp but its not the most robust .22 out there and proper cleaning is a big issue. My uncle has one and has had nothing but problems with it but I've never had any issue as long as I'm shooting CCI. You may want to look elsewhere for what your trying to do.

I don't want to come off like I'm bashing it, I really do love this gun, but it is what it is. A plinker.

MB44 01-22-2010 09:09 PM

Just in order to add one more to my total posting count : Nice gun, but not for competition. The purpose of this gun is to plink, and to be able to train cheap. Nevertheless I'm very happy with it.....:D

Ram Rod 01-22-2010 09:27 PM

Thanks all who replied thus far. Well, I was tryng to kill two birds with one stone I guess. Thing is, the pistol is probably sold by now. Guy was asking $250 for it unfired and I knew it was a good deal. I guess for that amount, a plinker and a competition pistol all in one are out of the question. We need both actually. I'm just not ready to part with what it takes for both or two at this time I guess. Both my wife and I carry, so range practice is still pretty much carry caliber, but the plinker would be nice. Then again trying at the same time to offset somewhat the 200 rounds of 9mm each we normally go through once a month for a Steel Challenge or IPSC match. Best 22lr pistol I've seen at a match was a Walther P22. Guy has never had an issue with it, and I've never seen him clean it during the match. Everybody else with whatever thay have have a lot of issues with theirs.
I really appreciate all the input.