Own A Ruger LCP 380? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Own A Ruger LCP 380?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I've got the Kel-Tec P3AT .380, which Ruger essentially copied with a couple of minor changes. I've put 250 rounds of FMJ Ball through it and 20 rounds Speer Gold Dot JHP as that's what I carry in it for SD. On duty I carry it beneath my zippered uniform shirt in a kydex holster made by a local deputy under the name of Trojan Tactical. I have carried it on trips with my son's church youth group as a primary, but 99% of the time I carry it as a back-up-gun.

As someone else said, the sights aren't anything to write home about, but at the distances most defensive shootings occur at sights are largely meaningless as most people never use them. If a head shot were needed it could be done (with my eyes) at up to 25 feet past that I wouldn't try it.

I know several other people who have the P3AT and LCR, officers and civilians alike who love them and a few who have gotten one shot it and traded it off shortly thereafter. I guess it's like anything else, it comes down to everybody being different and having different expectations, likes, dislikes and opinions.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have one now!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Very reliable and concealable. Always hear about the sights, it is not a range/target pistol. It has one purpose and it is personal protection. Nothing wrong with a .380 round, I would not want to be shot with one-would you?

When shot dead--dead is dead.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think it is a fun gun to shoot. But with adrenaline pumping, I don't think it would matter. Just hope I never have to use it on anything except paper.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I think the sights are quite usable in a non SD situation where you have time to get them just perfect.

My problem with the LCP is user error. I tend to shoot quite low with it unless I'm REALLY concentrating on squeezing the heck out of it with the 1.5 fingers I can get on it. I think I pull the muzzle down when I pull that long/stiff DA trigger. But, that's no fault of the gun, that's just me being used to SA triggers, or DA triggers on revolvers that are big enough for me to hold on to.

I think the LCP for what it is, is great, I just need to spend more time shooting it.

Brian, do you by chance have a Blackberry phone.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The trigger on my Kel-Tec isn't hard at all, it's actually pretty nice for a DAO. I can put 8 rounds inside a 6" paper plate at 10' as fast as I can squeeze the trigger, that's without even looking at the sights just pushing the pistol towards the target and squeezing the trigger until it's empty.

I haven't shot one of the LCR's but haven't heard any of my friends who have one complaining about the trigger being too heavy. I guess if you're used to a short crisp 2.5-3.5 # trigger pull on a tuned 1911 the trigger pull on any DAO would seem hard.

A Glock trigger seemed horrible to me after carrying and shooting nothing but a tuned 1911 and Ruger MkII .22 for 7 years. Once I got used to it, I don't think anything about it. I also have and shoot a S&W model 65 .38 spl and the Kel-Tec trigger is a lot shorter and lighter than it (it's also having an action job done on it as i write this too).

Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

To tone down the kick I had taken out the recoil spring #9 and replaced it with a Wolf recoil spring #13 and a BT rod. It shoots wonderfully steady without the previous recoil.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
To tone down the kick I had taken out the recoil spring #9 and replaced it with a Wolf recoil spring #13 and a BT rod. It shoots wonderfully steady without the previous recoil.
Where did you get those?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #19

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Where did you get those?
Hard to believe but, yeah, where do you get them?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

For the Wolff Recoil Springs go to the bottom of that link to the section marked Ruger's LCP 380. There you will find a selection of #9 pound, #11 pound, #12 pound or #13 pound recoil springs.

Springs for RUGER Semi-Auto Pistols

.................................................. .................................................

Now for the B~T Guide Rods click onto: BTGuiderods

Hope that helps. It helped me just fine.