Overpriced? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Overpriced?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the sig 226 and 220 very fine firearms. i still have my 220. worth the money. hk... nah not worth it. there is just something about em i dont like. exception being the old squeeze cocker P7. i would definately get one if i found one in good condition at a fair price.
I bought a P7M8 with 4 mags for $700 about 6 months ago from my friend's shop. It looked as-new. It has the lever-mag-release behind the trigger guard, so it was intended for the US market.

Not a bad peice, and at a decent price with 4 mags. It won't replace my Glock as a carry gun, but it's a fun shooter. I used it in an IDPA match a few months ago, just for giggles. It functioned flawlessly, though I was off my game a little on reloads, but not bad.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #12

its like anything else in life.If you really like it you dont think its overpriced.If you like it but dont have the money it probably still isnt overpriced.If you only have S/W sigma money you will think its overpriced.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3197 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 415

"Overpriced" is a personal thing. Perceived value doesn't usually have a lot to do with the real world. Just look at the cars people drive.
Last year I was looking at semi autos. H&K USPs, I thought they were overpriced. Ended up w/ a CZ75BD. Some time later of course, I spent over $1K on a S&W PC revolver. Can't let logic get in the way
If it's worth it to you and you have the money, it's not overpriced.

NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #14

Your right Overkill.Last year i sold a customer an over/under for $2800.Out of nowhere a young guy comes over and says"Damn, $2800 ! I got good shotguns at home and never paid more than $250!" LOL

Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #15

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincev View Post
Your right Overkill.Last year i sold a customer an over/under for $2800.Out of nowhere a young guy comes over and says"Damn, $2800 ! I got good shotguns at home and never paid more than $250!" LOL
In many cases "overpriced" is judged by the person as a function of priorities and checkbook balance...

Old 08-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #16

Liked 1911 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

Default An UNinformed opinion

Considering I haven’t even received my permit yet, the following is likely an UNinformed opinion. Nonetheless my heads big enough to think I may have something worthwhile to contribute to this thread, or not.

Back when cameras used film (remember film?) an experienced eye could see the difference between chromes shot with Leica glass ($$$$$) and those shot with Nikon or Canon lenses ($$$) when making slide selections on the lightbox. This was due to the Leica standard being 1/8th of a wavelength and the Japanese standard being 1/2 a wavelength.

However, the difference was not great enough to survive the print reproduction process. You couldn’t tell which photos were taken with which lens. Additionally Nikon & Canon were the industry standard. If you needed a repair or a lens or something, you just called the local newspaper and the photographer would tell you where to go to get it fixed, if they didn’t themselves offer to loan you access to their equipment. This was not true of Leicas, which were not so widely used and repairmen didn’t have anywhere near as much experience with them.

It sounds like HKs and maybe SIGs are like Leicas, and Glocks are like Nikons & Canons.

Despite how different the tolerances, finish and operation on the guns maybe, it’s not likely someone would be able to tell which brand of gun they were shot with. Additionally it sounds like lots of people have experience taking Glocks down and putting them back together. Do gunshops have as much as HK and SIG parts on the shelf as Glock parts? Do ‘smiths have as many HK & SIG pieces as Glock pieces knocking about?

So in addressing the question, ‘Are HKs & SIGs overpriced?’ It depends, is the gun going to be a ‘tool’ or a ‘trophy’?

Like I said, just my UNinformed opinion.

Last edited by Vincine; 08-16-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #17

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Some say you get what you pay for...But sometimes we pay more and get less.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #18

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I've owned a couple of HK's over the years, currently have several Sigs, and yes, they frequently tend to be overpriced compared to other handguns of similar quality. Actually, Sigs are very well made and I'm happy with the ones I own but I also bought them because I got VERY good deals with each of them. If the deals were not as good as they were, I probably would have passed on the guns. FWIW, the most underated and under valued brand I own (and I feel are as good as any handgun out there) are my CZ's. They are OUTSTANDING guns and a best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I used my Sig P-220 on duty for about 4 years, until we were forced to using the Glock. That Sig will always be one of my favorite duty guns!