Overpriced?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Overpriced?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Overpriced?

Does anyone feel H&K and Sig Sauer's are overpriced? Is it that much quality going into a polymer gun(hk)? Damn near $1000 bucks for one of these is pretty steep. How many out there own either one and how do you feel about them? Unless it was something exclusive, that many wouldnt own, then maybe i would.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23 View Post
Does anyone feel H&K and Sig Sauer's are overpriced? Is it that much quality going into a polymer gun(hk)? Damn near $1000 bucks for one of these is pretty steep. How many out there own either one and how do you feel about them? Unless it was something exclusive, that many wouldnt own, then maybe i would.
I think they are spendy for sure. I don't see any advantage in an HK over a more reasonably priced pistol with the same or better (Glock, XD, XDm, M&P) reliability. I did, along with several other officers and trainers a pretty extensive evaluation of the HK USP's when we were trading in our Glock 17's and looking for a 40 as a replacement. The USP didn't meet the 10,000 round WOF (without failure) standard. Only Glock, XD, Sig 226 and 228, and Beretta 96 did. A bunch of officers decided on going to the Glock 22 as they were most familiar with, and had most confidence it that particular platform.

The Sig is a FANTASTIC pistol, but just about everyone didn't like the long trigger reach and SLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWW reset for follow-up shots. Beretta, holding only 11 rounds, was thought to be too big for a "limited capacity" pistol. Glock won hands-down.

As a side note: I bought the T&E pistol and made it into a steel gun...I figured with 10k rounds, it was nicely broke in. I let them issue me a new one for duty.

That being said...both the Sig and Beretta were allowed as an optional pistol. No one bought the Beretta, and a few bought the Sig, but overwhelmingly Glock was picked.

Last edited by ArizonaLawman; 08-13-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Are they overpriced? Yeah, probably. So are a lot of the beers I tend to bring home.

Lots of people overpay for their passions. I have no interest in paying H&K prices for a polymer gun, but I also have little doubt they produce an exceptional firearm. I like Sig, and might get caught up in their overpriced tacticoolness from time to time.

You can get into a really solid pistol in just about any category (poly, steel, revolver, 1911, rimfire, etc) for under $600. But by all means, buy something you'll enjoy and take great pride in. Yes, even if that means it isn't such a bargain.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Dont really think Sigs are way overpriced that much (the ones i've been interested in anyway) but the HK's? Hell yes

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

For me, HK's are overpriced. Sig's are not. I settled on a 226 .40 which is my bedside gun because out of the dozens of auto platforms I've owned, the Sig is the only one that has NEVER failed. I bought my 226 just after the AWB expired in 2004. It came with the accessory rail, (3) 12 rnd mags, and is NOT a plastic gun. I paid $640 out the door which I though was more than reasonable.

TACK

Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think the P226 and P220 are two of the best pistols manufactured.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure some folks do. Don't know of any actual SIG or HK owners that do. I own 3 HKs and would buy them again tomorrow. I love the way my P2000 and P2000SK fit my hand (I have a Glock and I HATE the way it feels in my hand) vs. the USP which does NOT fit my hand well. The changeable backstrap of the P2000 was a big selling point for me. They are incredibly accurate and they run 100% dependable with any ammo I run through them. I also like the LEM trigger much better than Glock's and the couple of hundred $s difference in price don't mean much to me. The third HK I own is one of the last 500 P7M8s ever made and it's one of the coolest pistols in the world. A absolute marvel of German engineering that has actually appreciated in value since I bought it. No Glock I know will do that.

The first SIG I owned was sold to me by one of the first SIG dealers in the US who happened to be a friend of mine. I remember I went in to buy a Beretta and he pulled out his demo P226. The gun looked like hell. When I asked him why he tossed it about 10 feet onto a bare concrete floor. For the next 10 minutes he continued telling me what a great gun the SIG was and while he was talking he continued throwing the P226 on to the concrete floor over and over.

At the end of the conversation we went to his range and he loaded the gun and ripped the center of a target with all 15 rounds of HPs in the mag. He had been doing that to that gun pretty much daily for 6 months, no cleaning or oiling. I bought a P226 that day and carried it daily for about 5 years and shot it every weekend until I wore through the finish. The I sold it to a buddy and as far as I know that gun is still slinging lead.

Since then I have owned quite a few SIGS and they have all been great guns but through the years it has become apparent to me that the trigger is way out there and since there are other guns that fit me better I end up selling them. I WANT to love a SIG double stack but it is just NOT meant to be. I did buy a single stack P239 in .357 SIG with a DAK trigger system (similar to the HK LEM) and that fit my hands very well but I sent that to a friend (actually he's more like a brother to me) that really liked it and I gave it to him as a gift. I need to replace that gun one of these days.

There are only 3 handguns that when I pull them out of the box brand new I know with 100% confidence will work at 100% with anything I throw at them. Glock, HK and SIG. Of the 3 I just like SIG and HK better than Glock and the price difference is just not enough for me to compromise.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

640 is a pretty good deal considering you got a few mags. Sig really need to reconsider the ONE mag they give you. Hows the maintenance on the Sig?

Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #9

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
640 is a pretty good deal considering you got a few mags. Sig really need to reconsider the ONE mag they give you. Hows the maintenance on the Sig?
Maintenance...piece of cake. If you taken down a Berreta 92, you've taken down a Sig 226.

The 3 mags was a great package. When my dealer ordered these particular 226's they were LEO Only due to the 12rd mags. I this think was a specific marketing deal for COPS, hence the extra mags "in the hardcase from SIG". My dealer still had 3 left when the AWB, "94 crime bill" expired and suddenly I could buy one, so I jumped on it.

3rd huge plus of the 226 is caliber interchangeability.

Order at .357 Sig barrel and shoot .357 sig w/same recoil spring and mags

Order 9mm barrel, recoil spring, and mags, and shoot 9mm.

TACK...

Old 08-14-2011, 03:02 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5647 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

the sig 226 and 220 very fine firearms. i still have my 220. worth the money. hk... nah not worth it. there is just something about em i dont like. exception being the old squeeze cocker P7. i would definately get one if i found one in good condition at a fair price.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...