Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Outshoot your pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Outshoot your pistol

The current XD vs XDm thread raises this issue and I think it's an interesting one. The XDm has a "match" grade barrel - so does this means it's more inherently accurate than a "regular" barrel? Can you, with your shooting skills, exceed the capability of the plain old XD?

Personally, while I'm a decent shot, there is no way I can out shoot the mechanical accuracy of any pistol I own. Yes, I own some "target" grade 1911s but TBH I shoot pretty much the same with any of the 1911s I have - even the el cheapo RIA. Just wondering if you folks are closer to out shooting your pistols than I am...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well said, Dave. The speculation, anticipation, and conversation over the old XD/XDm debate is something that I've never understood....but it has to be one of the most popular subjects on the forum. I don't get it.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

Nor do I Lon. I understand the need for a "match" grade barrel in a rife where you're going after extreme accuracy at long distances - but in a short range gun like a pistol? Sure, many "match" grade 1911s have "guarantees" of accuracy - but the vast majority of us don't shoot well enough to prove it.

JD, does the Nighthawk come with any guarantee of accuracy?

Old 03-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #4

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Dave, I think you hit the nail square on the head!

I think the population of championship shooters, just like the population of F1 drivers or NHL hockey players, is small and elite.

The members of this exclusive fraternity put their talents on public display each time they perform in their arena of talent.

As this demonstration of talent evolves, so do the tools of its participants. This natural progression keeps the contestants relentlessly striving to advance their skills.

The tools used at this level of competition are far and above superior to those available to us peons. Keep this in mind; the champions aren’t even shooting to 100% of their gun’s potential.

With all that lead-in, IMHO none of us even come close to achieving or exceeding the mechanical level of accuracy of the guns available to us. (This is my personal opinion and does not include Jimenez Arms, Jennings Firearms, French MAB's or glocks!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

JD, does the Nighthawk come with any guarantee of accuracy?
Oh man, you WENT there, didn't you????

Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nope, not a chance. I still only shoot 2" groupings with my Ruger. =P

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

No, I just shoot ok.

Here are some of my targets.

Notice some bullseye shots. That means my pistols (browning, cz, kimber) are capable of making that shot. If it can heppen once it can be done everytime, but not by me.
I'm a once or twice a month shooter. You'd have to shoot thousands and thousands every year to get good enough too do that. I don't have the time or the funds.
I'll probably never be as good as my pistols.

7yards.jpg   15yards.jpg   100_2215.jpg   100_2216.jpg  

Old 03-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The way I look at it, being the mediocre pistol shot that I am, is that an inaccurate pistol has just as much chance of helping my score as hurting it...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #9

At my age and with my crappy eyes, the days of bullseye shooting for me are long past. I'm very happy to keep everything in a fist sized group at POA at 10 yards firing rapidly. Yes, I have some nice hardware; however, I don't need a match grade gun with my limitations - it's hype as far as my skills are concerned...

Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #10

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
The way I look at it, being the mediocre pistol shot that I am, is that an inaccurate pistol has just as much chance of helping my score as hurting it...
Your ideas are intriguing sir, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Also, x2.

Fun story, when I went to go qual on the M-9 for my first deployment, the RSO suggested to several people (myself included) that if it came down to us using our handguns, we'd be better off throwing it at the target and hoping to either knock them out, or give us enough time to reload our M-4 and use that to kill them.

...That or surrender.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory