out of state purchase
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

out of state purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default out of state purchase

Found a gun I want to purchase out of state. What are average FFL costs?

Also what is the preferred way of paying for the gun?

Lastly what info should I get from my FFL to give to seller?
Beretta PX4 9mm compact
Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Proud to be an American
Liked 1114 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 581

Around here its $20 to receive a transfer. Send the seller your FFL phone number and address and they will exchange license info and you're good to go.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Liked 2561 Times on 1501 Posts
Likes Given: 582

In my current neck of the woods most FFL shops are somewhat extortionist in transfer fees ($35-45). Don't forget to get an agreement in shipping cost and who is paying that.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
Liked 1338 Times on 756 Posts
Likes Given: 579

I pay $25. The shipper will need a copy of the receiving FFL's license to document that the gun was shipped across state lines to an FFL holder. Some FFL holders will only receive guns from fellow FFL holders, so be sure to ask your receiving FFL holder if buying from an individual.

I have used both personal checks and money orders. My bank does not charge me for money orders. The sellers usually hold the gun until your check clears before shipping.

I have also paid for guns with, gasp, PayPal.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

I would shop the transfer fees around. In my neck of the woods, it varies from $20-$60.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.
Is there an age limit for a thread, after which we kill it?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #6
Liked 11150 Times on 4833 Posts
Likes Given: 1834

Go to gunbroker.com, use their "find a FFL" function. Searches from your zip code for dealers that have registered as being willing to act as a transfer FFL. Here in VA price varies from $15 to $100.

If the shipper is a FFL, they will need the receiving dealer's license. If a private citizen, the license number. They should include a copy of their driver's license so that receiving dealer can log it into his bound book.

Payment? What does seller want? Would not send cash, postal money orders are difficult to counterfeit, CAN be hard to cash. If paying by check, expect seller to hold item until check clears.
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.