Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Original paperwork?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Anyone else like having the original owner's manuals for their handguns? There are some great sites out there with an extensive archive of manuals, but the one I don't have a manual for seems to be the one none of them have. Ugh! Frustrating. Stupid & awesome at same time Firestar M45!

Anyway, was just curious if anyone else was like me in this regard. I always figured it would be nice, should I get to a point of trying to sell any of my firearms, to be able to say it includes original paperwork or owner's manual. Plus I like having all the specific factory stats of my guns to compare to my caliper measurements.

For reference, in the case anyone is of like mind, here's the website I found.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 11-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #2

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I'm like that with other things I collect. And when say collect, I don't collect anything that I don't use. But I've never really thought about that with guns. I keep all that stuff when I buy a new gun. But I do have a couple of older guns I've inherited that I haven't thought to try and seek that stuff out.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

I've got two Firestars, both I purchased used and came with nothing. The M43 has manuals everywhere, of course it's a 9mm, so it would. But the M45 I can't find anywhere.

I'm like you in the collection department. I only collect things I use or put into employ. Knives, watches, flashlights, lighters, wines, beers, etc. It's funny though, guns are the only one I care to have manuals on. I mean, I've kept the boxes and papers on my lighters and watches, just because they're really nice display cases and small, thus easy to store.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #4

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Yeah, I keep all the boxes and manuals to all my electronics, computers, and photography equipment as well. I guess the only other things that apply would be movies, video games, and die cast car models too as well as all my car modifications.

I have an older Mauser .22 LR and a Winchester 1894 16ga that I doubt I could ever find paperworks for.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Yeah, I keep all the boxes and manuals to all my electronics, computers, and photography equipment as well. I guess the only other things that apply would be movies, video games, and die cast car models too as well as all my car modifications.

I have an older Mauser .22 LR and a Winchester 1894 16ga that I doubt I could ever find paperworks for.
What's the model nomenclature look like, specific model name would be most useful?

Old 11-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

When I buy a new gun, I keep all the papers and boxes. You will get a much better price if you have the complete package. I try to get the same with a used gun if I can. The price goes down if I cant.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 731

I didnt see anything for the Medusa...

Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #8

Liked 860 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I think most gun people like getting/having ALL original paperwork. The LGS I deal with will pay a little more if you bring all of that stuff in when you sell to him. And he notes it on the tag.
I have a spot in the filing cabinet where I put all house-related manuals, receipts, and paperwork. Gun stuff stays separate.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #9

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Unless the gun is a collector I believe instructions are just another man's opinion

Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #10

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Any true collector knows that anything that relates to a particular gun will increase the value as a package. I even search for items related to guns that are over a hundred years old to increase it's value, such as boxes, holsters, loading tools, cleaning rods, manuals, slings, scopes, original boxed ammo, anything. A stagecoach box for a Colt SAA in exc. condition can go as high as $500. The earlier black boxes even more. I even saved everything that came with my Walther pellet pistol from 1963. Even a newspaper clipping.